Enscape on a laptop- Impossible ?

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
    • Official Post

Is it really impossible to use Enscap on a laptop ?

I have 2 .

One is a highish spec with an IntelHD Graphics card (128mb VRAM display Memory)

Revit itself runs fine.

Help !

Welcome to our forum! The corresponding laptop has to meet our system requirements - the IntelHD Graphics are not supported by Enscape I'm afraid, we require a graphics card with at least 2 GB of VRAM, and that card also has to support at least OpenGL 4.4.

• Brian,
    Mid-range laptops for 3D viz these days have graphic cards that start with 6-8 Gigs of VRAM which is 48 to 64 TIMES more than your laptop. High-end laptops have 12-16 GBs.

While 2GB may be the minimum spec to run it, you wont get good performance (low framerate)

Sorry for the bad news.

• Most of our users run Enscape on a laptop, but you need to spec the laptops with using Enscape (or similar software) in mind. For example: our olders ones have a geforce 1070ti and the new ones a gforce 2070ti.

• Brian,
    Mid-range laptops for 3D viz these days have graphic cards that start with 6-8 Gigs of VRAM which is 48 to 64 TIMES more than your laptop. High-end laptops have 12-16 GBs.

While 2GB may be the minimum spec to run it, you wont get good performance (low framerate)

Sorry for the bad news.

Which laptops have 12 or 16 GB of vram on a single video card?

• There are several currently available running the Quadro RTX 5000 card with 16 GB of VRAM from MSI, Dell, Alienware, Asus, BOXX, IBM/Lenova, and possibly HP. They are sometimes referred to as "RTX Studio" machines.

I have the MSI WS65. So far its been great and its much lighter and thinner than my previous Alienware 15 R3.

ASUS has announced a new machine that will include the Quadro RTX 6000 card that has 24 gigs of VRAM. Not available yet, so I got tired of waiting and chose the MSI.

• I am also in the market for a new laptop since my current laptop is also struggling to keep up with our latest models.

But I always get lost in the system specs because I have no clue what all the model numbers (processor and GF cards etc.) mean, and which is better suited for Enscape.

Would it be an idea to do a blog with a best-buy guide for laptops and desktops every 6 months?

• Ive just got a quote for new PNY Prevail pro laptop to sue with revit and enscape. Graphic spec. seems to be: NVIDIA Quatro Mobile P300 / 6GB GDDDR5 GPU memory / Open GL 4.5 DirectX 12, Vulkan compatible / CUDA, Open CL, Dircet Compute Comptible. The questions are; will this allow me decent to Enscape functionality now and ii) Is this enough to future proof me for Enscape evolutions over next couple of years ? Thanks

• Just to note

I would recommend on a Lenovo p53. Make sure to get the version that has the rtx 2080 card. It has gotten great reviews and is the laptop of choice for vfx peeps. I'm currently waiting to get an upgrade.

Note the P53 uses Quadro GPUs (the RTX-capable 3000/4000/5000) - not the "gaming" RTX 20xx series. The P53s have some issues with thermal throttling that Lenovo still seems to be working on. We have a couple of them and have gotten them sorted out for general Enscape use but they still have issues with VR.

With the various laptops and GPUs I've tested, if you need to do VR I would stick with the gaming 2070/2080 models. (preferably non-max-Q, but those are larger laptops.) The Quadros just don't perform as well, especially if you take price into account. Happy to discuss if anyone wants more details.

• I tried to get some information from the forums and around the web about a good laptop for rendering and designing, but I need a bit of advice. I work with various sized projects (parks, roads, city squares, vegetation) as a landscape designer. The programs that i use the most are Civil 3D, Sketchup, Enscape (ofc:), Infraworks and Photoshop. With Enscape I mostly render images, but from time to time videos aswell. VR is still bit of mystery, but I see a slight need for that in the future.. Because of my company policy, I'm not free to choose any model that would be the ideal choice. So here I have some alternatives:

Choice 1. (IT-departments recommendation)

- HP ZBook Studio G5 Mobile Workstation - 15.6"

- Intel Core i7 (9th gen). 9750H / 2.6 GHz (4.5 GHz) / 12 MB

- 32 GB DDR4 (2 x 16 GB)

- Nvidia Quadro P2000 / Intel UHD Graphics 630

- 4 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

- 1 Tt SSD NVMe

Choice 2. (Little bit better than first one, is it yet enough?)

- HP ZBook 15 G6 Mobile Workstation - 15.6"

- Intel Core i7 (9th gen). 9850H / 2.6 GHz (4.6 GHz) / 12 MB

- 32 GB DDR4 (2 x 16 GB)

- NVIDIA Quadro P3200 / Intel UHD Graphics 630

- 6 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

- 512 GB SSD NVMe, TLC

Choice 3. (Could get if I can justify the need..)

- Intel Core i7 (9th gen). 9850H / 2.6 GHz (4.6 GHz) / 12 MB

- 32 GB DDR4 (2 x 16 GB)

- NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

- 6 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

- 1 Tt SSD NVMe + 16 GB SSD cache (PCIe (NVMe)) (3D Xpoint (Optane))

Choice 4. (Might be too expensive... but could get if I can justify the need)

- Intel Core i9 9. sukup. 9880H / 2.3 GHz (4.8 GHz) / 16 MB

- 32 GB DDR4 (2 x 16 GB)

- NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 / Intel UHD Graphics 630

- 6 GB GDDR6 SDRAM

- 1 Tt SSD NVMe

Choice 5. (Not sure if it's possible to get a Dell's laptop, but RTX would be great?)

- Dell Precision Mobile Workstation 7540 - 15.6"

- Intel Core i7 (9th gen). 9750H / 2.6 GHz (4.5 GHz) / 12 MB

- 16 GB DDR4 (2 x 8 Gt)

- NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

- 6 GB GDDR6 SDRAM

- 256 GB SSD

Choice 6. (BONUS! Not sure if it's possible to get a Dell's laptop...)

- Dell Precision Mobile Workstation 5540 - 15.6"

- Intel Core i9 (9th gen). 9880H / 2.3 GHz (4.8 GHz) / 16 MB

- 16 GB DDR4 (1 x 16 Gt)

- NVIDIA Quadro T2000

- 4 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

- 512 GB SSD

Thank you in advance! It turned out to be quite long list!

Edit: This turned to be in the Revit-forum, so this might not be the right place for this post.

• Official Post

Teos , thanks a lot for your post and welcome to our forum! :)

Right off the bat, they all have very capable CPU's , what matters most for Enscape is the GPU itself though - in that regard the RTX 3000 should be the fastest out of the bunch. Feel free to double check and compare the GPU's yourself of course, this is what I found out after my research though.

So in this case the Choice 3 - Choice 5 would be ideal. Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Hey thank you for super-fast reply, impressive Damian !

I was thinking the same about the gpu and the fact about RTX being the best choice of the above.

But is there any information about how Enscape would run with Nvidia Quadro P2000 or NVIDIA Quadro P3200 / Intel UHD Graphics 630?

• Hey thank you for super-fast reply, impressive Damian !

I was thinking the same about the gpu and the fact about RTX being the best choice of the above.

But is there any information about how Enscape would run with Nvidia Quadro P2000 or NVIDIA Quadro P3200 / Intel UHD Graphics 630?

It will not run at all on (integrated) Intel UHD 630, and since all these kind of laptops have both dedicated and integrated GPU you might have to disable the integrated one while using enscape (https://enscape3d.com/communit…dgebase/multi-gpu-issues/)

The P2000/3200 is roughly equivalent of a GTX 1050ti/1060 so they should be able to do OK for rendering but might struggle with real-time on more detailed models.

The RTX would probably do waay better and should be able to handle VR but I suspect the price-tag also reflects that...?