Orthographic view - remembering location

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hello.

Is there a way to save Orthographic view´s with the same reliability as Perspective views?

I was really looking forward to the Orthographic view function added in 2.7.0.

I´ve worked up a workflow where I put a rendered top view underneath a cad pdf in indesign to make illustration plans. Basically just updating links when altered.

However in 2.7 Enscape does not seem remember the "camera position" for the Orthographic view.

If I zoom in to select a region in orthographic view, save the view. Then zoom in a little for another layout, and save that. Enscape will not remember the position, it will use the last used position.

Same thing happens if I change from Orthographic view to Perspective and then back to Orthographic view. Enscape 2.7 has no recollection of the area I wished to display, instead zooms out to default position. I therefore have to zoom in to a similar region, with very low precision compared to the image I want to replace, then having to rescale it in indesign, therefor slowing down the workflow.

Kind regards.

Anders

• Go to Best Answer
    • Official Post

Thank you very much for your feedback and welcome to our forum! You are right, the corresponding camera positions are not being saved accordingly when Orthographic is enabled - I'm gonna get together with our devs to see why this is the case, perhaps we decided to do this because of technical reasons, but I'm letting you know as soon as possible.

• Thanks Anders for raising this issue, I've been having the same problem and i thought it was just me missing something.

Thanks Demian for looking into this problem. I hope it can be solved or improved soon.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

• I have been using Field of View as 0 with perspective view in order to render orthographic views with Enscape. Remembers the camera location just fine. I haven't tried the new orthographic view with 2.7, though. Perhaps you can also keep using Field of View as 0?

Or is there another benefit of using 2.7 orthographic render?

• I have been using Field of View as 0 with perspective view in order to render orthographic views with Enscape. Remembers the camera location just fine. I haven't tried the new orthographic view with 2.7, though. Perhaps you can also keep using Field of View as 0?

Or is there another benefit of using 2.7 orthographic render?

Can you set FOV to 0?

I think you can't go down lower than 10.

• Official Post

Thanks a lot, everyone for the further replies. I'm afraid the zoom level and such will not be saved in orthographic mode views - at this point, this may very well be due to technical limitations but I will forward all your voices to our product management team again, to see what can be done in the future. Unfortunately, I would not hold my breath for now for any changes regarding this soon - if it would've been easy/possible to add we would've done it already.

• Best Answer

I'm also experiencing this problem in Rhino 6 (not the right software category I know) but thought I would also chime in. This would be great to have fixed soon as we cannot use this feature because views cannot be reliably reproduced.

Thanks!

In Rhino, there is an easy workaround. Save your orthographic views in Rhino - NOT in Enscape. Whenever you want to re-render your ortho views, just sync the Enscape camera to your Rhino view.