Best Revit Render Plugin?

• Hello fellow designers and architects.

I'm a student studying interior design and we are starting Revit this fall, for the entire year. I was wondering which rendering plugins are the easiest to use and give the best photo realistic renders? I want to use this summer to learn Revit and try to learn the rendering engine.

As far as I know my school doesn't promote any particular rendering engine and a friend of mine in 3rd year (I'm going into 2nd year) said she uses the built in renderer but some students use VRay, Lumion, and things like that. What renders do you guys suggest? I'm leaning towards VRay the most right now due to cost ($100 for students) and hearing from a lot of people that it's one of the best

• Hello fellow designers and architects.

I'm a student studying interior design and we are starting Revit this fall, for the entire year. I was wondering which rendering plugins are the easiest to use and give the best photo realistic renders? I want to use this summer to learn Revit and try to learn the rendering engine.

As far as I know my school doesn't promote any particular rendering engine and a friend of mine in 3rd year (I'm going into 2nd year) said she uses the built in renderer but some students use VRay, Lumion, and things like that. What renders do you guys suggest? I'm leaning towards VRay the most right now due to cost ($100 for students) and hearing from a lot of people that it's one of the best

So right off the bat, we actually offer free of charge Enscape student licenses. You can simply sign up here.

I recommend you just give Enscape a try by trying our 14-day trial (click the "GET MY FREE TRIAL" button on the top) before you're about to receive your student license - VRay in this case would be an offline renderer and just a few days ago we've received a report from a student which was actually using VRay, but all the other students were using Enscape. In the end, the students which were using Enscape got more praise for their renderings.

Enscape is able to produce results which come very, very close to the renderings of an offline solution and it's all still navigateable in real time and requires 0 training what so ever! If you'd go for an offline renderer solution, like VRay as mentioned, you won't be able to walk / fly through your project and take renderings in mere seconds, instead of minutes or hours.

Results say more than a hundred words, so just convince yourself by having a look at the work created by our users:

Showcase

Feel free to also sign up for a personal online presentation here if you still have any questions or in case you just want a brief 30 minute introduction.

And by the way, you'll achieve results which are far greater than what you'd get from using the Revit renderer. ;)

• Prepare to use multiple renderers. If you want speed and quality, and you will want speed and quality when deadlines come near, Enscape stands alone. If you have a lot of time on your hand, and good hardware, and want the highest rendering quality, then look into VRay. If you wish to have lively visualizations, then look into Twinmotion (currently free). Lumion's student version is trimmed down vs the full application. If you wish to have fully interactive presentations, consider learning Unity or Unreal.

I recommend Enscape to my students, which they figure out independently in no time, and teach them to use Unity for 360 video, VR and AR. When it comes to learning and job finding, that has proven useful.

However, at the core is BIM. In your case, that's Revit, which has some shortcomings and particularities when it comes to modeling and texturing. You will not only need a suitable renderer, but also satisfactory geometry, textures and lighting. Hence, if you dedicate time to prepping, take a look at these aspects of Revit, e.g. mass modeling, family creation, material creation and material settings, and lighting.