White glowing surfaces

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Good morning,

I have already found a solution everywhere, now I ask you, since you surely have a solution.

It's about white areas that start to glow during rendering.

As you can see on the photo the ceiling in the tent seems to glow, although there is no light source inside.

Where can I turn off this glow? I already tried to give the matrerials other purposes like clothing or plastic.

Thank you very much.

• hi megabanc,, try to assign a DEFAULT MATERIAL to all object scene then chk.. if glow still there.. if not then re-assign ur desired materials accordingly.

• Official Post

Megabanc , that is interesting, but may very well be a normal behavior - can you please briefly send over the project? :)

• Was a solution actually ever found to this? The thread appears to end with a model being sent and no solution given.

I am having a similar issue where some white surfaces, particularly curved ones, appear to give off their own glow despite not being an emissive surface. For example, the WC in the attached image as well as the inside of the sink. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Toby.

• Official Post

Was a solution actually ever found to this? The thread appears to end with a model being sent and no solution given.

I am having a similar issue where some white surfaces, particularly curved ones, appear to give off their own glow despite not being an emissive surface. For example, the WC in the attached image as well as the inside of the sink. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Toby.

Welcome to our Forum.

You can make sure that walls around the bathroom are not "too thin" and actually have a certain thickness. That usually helps with light leaking - Also if that makes no difference, does it have a positive effect on the scene if you simply set the time of day to night? On top of that you can also try reducing the "Ambient Brightness" in the Atmosphere tab of our Visual Settings.

Thank you in advance for any further replies Toby.

• Hi Demian,

Thank you for responding so quickly.

All of the walls, floor and ceiling have a thickness, as this is modelled as part of a larger building model.

When I set the settings to night time, the room is almost entirely black. I have initially being trying to render the room with a section cut through the model to achieve a better angle, so while the section cut is active the room is technically exposed to the outside atmosphere, but even turning off the section cut and enclosing the windowless room entirely, the view is entirely black when turning settings to night. I have attached an export with these settings.

Reducing the ambient brightness is having the effect of making the room slightly darker, but even in the darker room, the curved surface of the WC and the interior of the sink are still glowing brighter than other areas of the room. I have attached another exported view showing this effect.

Do you have any other suggestions I can try? Thanks in advance for any help!

• Official Post

TobyS-HBI , I really would suggest to mainly rely on light-sources (besides the sun) when you set the time of day to night and are doing interior scenes - It just seems that the brightness of them seems to not be turned up yet, or you haven't added any dedicated light-sources which I'd guess. Please try doing so as our light-assets do not emit light themselves.

You can also play around with the "Artificial Light Brightness" slider in the Atmosphere tab as well after placing some.

And last but not least check out our article covering the lights available in Enscape for SketchUp:

https://enscape3d.com/communit…/sketchup_lighting/#types

Let me know if you still have any further inquiries afterward.

• Hi Demian,

Yes, you're right, I have been mainly relying on the auto brightness that applies when no lights are added, but adding lights and setting the time to night is resolving the issue. However, inserting lights into all my interior scenes is quite a lot extra work so I'd much prefer to be able to rely on the automatic brightness/exposure that applies without the glitchy glowing objects appearing.

Adding lights ought to do the trick this time though, so thanks for your help.

I've noticed now in this view, but also in other scenes in the past, that where I've put in mirrors the reflections are showing lighting effects quite differently to how they appear in the general room. For example in the attached image, I've added some spots as well as a rectangular lighting plane to the ceiling for more even lighting, which achieves the desired effect in the main space but in the mirror's reflection I have a very visible white rectangle? Any pointers? Or should I create an alternative thread for that issue?

• Also, if you are using a 100% white material , that can create weirdness as it’s not a material that can really exist in the real world - certainly not int be case of a generic material.

Try taking it down to something closer to 80-90%

Also, if you disable auto exposure, you will get a better sense of how lit your model is.

You will need light, this is unavoidable, Enscape’s ‘camera’ relies on light , just like a real camera does- and just like a real camera, if you try to take a picture in a pitch black room without a source of light, it will look bad.

I’d check you have the rendering quality set to “ultra” - I’m not sure if this affects reflections, but certainly worth checking.

But as a rule , The reflections looking different are a product of how Enscape’s real time rendering works - if you work with stills then you may want to do something in post processing or consider passing it across into V-Ray to handle the reflections, where you can have as many bounces or light as you need to solve this.