Tutorial: how to create custom Enscape assets

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • ssilvenar could it be you renamed the files (for example the .bin file) AFTER exporting from blender? Keep in mind that names of gltf resources are baked into the .gltf file. Renaming any of the resources (textures or .bin file) after exporting will break the links. You need to make sure you get the names right when exporting from blender.

• Pieter my hero once again, thanks for your help. Now it shows up in Enscape!!... but without the fabric material....did I miss a step to get that to stick? do you have to bake it or something?

(puppy and sand to color check.)

I did get the material to show up in Blender...

Nevermind....I forgot to attach the texture when I selected the gltf & bim....Thanks so much.

• @Pieter

Could you please take a look at these objects why materials wouldn't show up?

Thank you for this useful tip. If you could please help out, I can't make make this backpack material show up as Enscape asset. I used SK2019, Enscape 2.8, and Blender. I checked there's no space in material file name, and it doesn't look like there's any space. I linked SK file, and bin/gltf exported from Blender.

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/HpVcBah.jpg]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5d1…ackpack%20Yellow.skp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h453…ckpack%20Yellow.gltf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ra5…ackpack%20Yellow.bin?dl=0

• I have installed 2.8. The fun surprise <spoiler> is that my custom assets in Vegetation category blow in the wind just like Enscape assets!

JonahHawk, could you share a little bt more about your animated custom assets? What types of source files / Animation settings did you use to get it to work with the Enscape wind settings, etc.?

Did you bring them in through the Blender workflow or 3DS max/Babylon? How long were your loop animations?

Thanks

• JonahHawk, could you share a little bt more about your animated custom assets? What types of source files / Animation settings did you use to get it to work with the Enscape wind settings, etc.?

Did you bring them in through the Blender workflow or 3DS max/Babylon? How long were your loop animations?

Thanks

I did not animate anything. The animation is automatically applied by Enscape to any Foliage category.

But to answer your questions, I used 3dsMax/Babylon.

• I'm having trouble with this for some reason. I don't have much experience with code editing. When I type in the code as it is shown in the tutorial (verbatum with my image designations) and save it I find that when I try to render the asset it no longer shows up. Do you have any Idea why this is happening?

• In The comments Part say :"The best way to do that is by using the custom enscape .gltf material extension. "
    so,waht is defult material texture name ? (like "xxx_bmp.png" or "xxx_alpha.png")

In this way, "enscape .gltf " will to identify it.

The enscape material extension is a piece of code that you paste into your .gltf file. It has nothing to do with file extensions. The tutorial should explain it.

However, be aware that this workaround will no longer work in the upcoming version of Enscape. There is a new system to create custom assets now. It makes more sense to start to learn that approach.

• The enscape material extension is a piece of code that you paste into your .gltf file. It has nothing to do with file extensions. The tutorial should explain it.

However, be aware that this workaround will no longer work in the upcoming version of Enscape. There is a new system to create custom assets now. It makes more sense to start to learn that approach.

I can not wait any more!

Thank you and your team for your contribution and let us see the growth of Enscape!:*

• Hello everyone!

This will sound very silly, as I have this feeling that I'm the last person to understand how this works although everything seems so simple. My questions is :

Do you have any idea why I can't seem to have the materials exported using the Babylon File Exporter in 3DsMax ?

I can see the textures clearly in Max viewport, but when I export using Babylon no texture files are created and the models import as white in Enscape . I even tried manually selecting the image texture files when importing them in the Asset Generator ( .gltf+.bin+ image texture files selected manually) and the result is the same .

I am clearly misunderstanding this , can anyone spare a second to give a glimpse onto what I am doing so wrong :) ?

thank you so much !

• Are you using the official enscape asset generator or the old generator?

I highly recommend using the official enscape generator. It's way better than my generator tool (I wrote that tool from before there was an official tool).

When you export from max, are the textures included in the export? (so do you see the exporter writing them to the selected folder)?

• Are you using the official enscape asset generator or the old generator?

I highly recommend using the official enscape generator. It's way better than my generator tool (I wrote that tool from before there was an official tool).

When you export from max, are the textures included in the export? (so do you see the exporter writing them to the selected folder)?

Thank you so much for answering !

Yes of course . Export textures option is checked by default . Though I see the textures just fine in max viewport , no extra texture files is exported - just .bin and .gltf

Is the fact that the models are vray models with vray textures a possible cause to this ? Though I do convert the scene to a regular max scene to the same result.

• Is the fact that the models are vray models with vray textures a possible cause to this ? Though I do convert the scene to a regular max scene to the same result.

yup, vray materials will not be evaluated by most exports, including the gltf exporter.

There are scripts out there for max to convert vray materials into regular materials, but it's hit and miss. Vray can do things that regular PBR materials do not have support for (like explicit fall-off ramps etc) so a 1-to-1 conversion is impossible.

You can also of course manually do it, if it's only a handful of models.

Edit: it's not the active rendered that matter but what material nodes the materials use. I think gltf only supports the standards and physical materials.

• yup, vray materials will not be evaluated by most exports, including the gltf exporter.

There are scripts out there for max to convert vray materials into regular materials, but it's hit and miss. Vray can do things that regular PBR materials do not have support for (like explicit fall-off ramps etc) so a 1-to-1 conversion is impossible.

You can also of course manually do it, if it's only a handful of models.

Thank you so much for shedding light to the problem . I was not aware of this.

You've been a ton of help . Thanks again !

• Hello, probably because i'm new to this things, but was not easier to include a more simple task with OBJ or 3DS file or even a SKP or DAE or FBX, into Enscape?

Like a proxy????????? or a REFERENCE file?

Why complicate things when they can be simple!!!!!!!!

Thank you