Tutorial: how to create custom Enscape assets

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Pieter, cornetjr,

I can happily provide the blender model. It's a bit large all told, so it's shared on onedrive. There's a previews folder for the thumbnail. The software folder has the blender file and textures at 3K. There's also a textures folder with all the textures at 1K. I had the goal of referencing the 1K textures rather than the 3K textures, thinking Enscape might perform better, but these are all guesses.

Before yesterday I had never used Blender, so I apologize for not knowing yet how to convert my material setup to using nodes! I know next to zero about rendering, which is why our firm has started with Enscape. It's a goal to learn though.

Thank you

Ben

• Hey,

I can't seem to download the blender file: "File is too big to download. Requested File Size: 34 MB, Max File Size Limit: 25 MB" is what it says.

Using nodes is pretty easy: select the object, go to the material tab and click "use nodes".

also, data is typically stored inside the blender file (including maps) so sharing just the blender file should be enough. Consider replacing the 3k textures with 1k and the blender file should probably be small enough to share.

• Strange. When I click on the link, I see this page in onedrive. EDIT: I added a screenshot of Blender - there is no nodes option where you had indicated. I did find a complete node mapping on the shading workspace though.

• Yes, that means the materials were already using nodes. The material setup is pretty advanced though. Not sure in how far that is supported by the gltf exporter.I think normally for this type of complex material setup the workflow is to bake it (but that's a bit advanced).

Maybe check out the chair file from my tutorial and replicate the node setup of that. Start with just a diffuse map. If that works, start adding more maps.

I know it's a bit trial and error.

• Advanced for sure! I'll check out the chair file and see if I can get the node setup to match. But first...

Wouldn't the object still render as all white though if the textures weren't used? That's what happened with the other successful model. I created a package with your tool, just inputting the .gltf and the .bin files, and the object appeared in enscape, but all white. With this plant file, I tried that technique, and the object wouldn't even show up as all white. The placeholder does show in Revit, but not in Enscape. I wonder if it's a file size or complexity issue, or something else out of my depth. Whatever the case, if it won't render in all white, I probably shouldn't spend any time dwelling on the materials.

• It depends. I definitely have seen cases where an issue with a material caused the entire model to not show up. We need to remember we are using a non-supported workflow here. There's definitely catches like these that I'm sure will be ironed out when official support for custom asset comes.

Can you try to delete all nodes to the left of the Principled bsdf, and see whether it works then?

• Great to hear! You can try copying the material setup of the chair example file and that should get you started.

For assets like these, a diffuse map might be all that's needed.

• Could you send a screenshot of the contents of the folder with the gltf files you are trying to load in? (showing their names, filetypes and size)

There are some restrictions in terms of naming (for example no space in the beginning of a file) and filetypes.

• Could you send a screenshot of the contents of the folder with the gltf files you are trying to load in? (showing their names, filetypes and size)

There are some restrictions in terms of naming (for example no space in the beginning of a file) and filetypes.

Sure, here it is. I was careful to avoid spaces.

• 1 ) any chance these files are on a dropbox or google drive or something similar? I've had issues with the tool getting confused by virtual drives

2) just to be clear, you are only including the .gtlf and the .bin in the "gltf" section of the tool, right (.obj needs to uploaded at the bottom of the tool)

3) any chance you can share the .gtlf and .bin file so I can test?

• 1 ) any chance these files are on a dropbox or google drive or something similar? I've had issues with the tool getting confused by virtual drives

2) just to be clear, you are only including the .gtlf and the .bin in the "gltf" section of the tool, right (.obj needs to uploaded at the bottom of the tool)

3) any chance you can share the .gtlf and .bin file so I can test?

1) No, straight from my local HDD
    2) Yes, only gltf and bin, either file brings up the same error
    3) Sure, send me your email so I can share the link

• I can load the files fine, so it's not something specific to the files.

But if I try to select only one of the files, I get the exact same error message as you. Try to select both files at the same time.