Tutorial: how to create custom Enscape assets

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • 1) What is your 'development' setting set to? Remote, Local or Mixed (I recommend using mixed)

2) For scale, make sure the .obj is the right size. I opened your .obj and it's 178m long. Remember that in most 3d programs you need to apply scale transformations before exporting. In 3ds max you can do that with this: the reset Xform utility

• Sorry forgot to say that the .obj is expected to be in meters. I updated the first page tutorial to reflect that.

Maybe at some point I will add an option to select different units, but for now you will have to scale it to meters.

• The only issue I'm having currently is that Enscape does not show anything on mixed, but that's a small nuisance. I have to switch between local and remote, but I can cope with that.

Agreed. But maybe if we asked nicely that can be solved once 2.8 is released :)

• The issue disappeared with bed when in Blender, my modeler made everything a one single object. The texture parameters (scale) are forgotten though, so textures have to be scaled manually, by creating large textures. The non-appearing 3D-model -issue is still there with some objects, but I'm trying all sorts of things to make them show..

• The texture thing you are describing is easily solved in blender.

I'm happy to look at your models if you can send a download link in a private message.

A common mistake is having way too detailed models (.bin that is more than a few mb). At a certain point Enscape will stop loading it (I think around 100mb but you should stay well below that).

• The texture thing you are describing is easily solved in blender.

I'm happy to look at your models if you can send a download link in a private message.

A common mistake is having way too detailed models (.bin that is more than a few mb). At a certain point Enscape will stop loading it (I think around 100mb but you should stay well below that).

Thank you, there's was a small error, a modifier hadn't been applied, so the actual model didn't show in Enscape. But the texture matter remains, I sent you a dm considering it.

• I've come across this tutorial on how to produce custom Enscape assets via BIM Chapters - SO EXCITED!!!!!. I'm keen to start developing our own assets - but I'm having some difficulty following the simple tutorial and i was wondering if any 1 else had this issue.
    When it comes time to load the Gltf within the Enscape Asset Generator I'm getting an error 'Unhandled exception has occurred in your application...........The path is not a legal form'

Can any1 please steer me in the right direction ...

• You have to add all the gltf files at once (so gltf+bin+textures). You can multiselect files in the dialog.

Let me know of that helps.

(in version 1.3 that I'm about to release this crash is fixed and it will now warn you on what went wrong)

• I have created a new version of the Asset Creator (1.3). You can download the beta version here.

The idea is to make it easier to manage your library, even if you have a large number of custom assets.

The new features include:

• Browse your library from the creator
    • The asset creator will now take care of the folder management and file naming for you. You no longer have to use windows explorer to create folders and subfolders as this was confusing for many people. (I actually recommend no longer messing with the folder structure and use the asset creator instead, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • You can now see thumbnails
    • Thumbnails will be automatically down-sampled (some people were using large images which slows the library down unnecessarily).
    • Relevant statistics are shown like outline polycount, gltf size and texture size. The statistics will color red if they are exceeding the recommended limits.
    • You can delete assets now (be careful, there's no undo)
    • Remembers the location of your last loaded library for quick loading.
    • Remembers the location of your last loaded asset (gltf, obj and thumbnail) for quick navigation
    • Shows the total number of assets in the library
    • Guids are now read-only after creation
    • Better error handling with error messages (let me know if you still run into issues)

Known issues (let me know which ones are deal breakers)

• It can take a while to load the entire library if you have hundreds of assets
    • There's no way to set the units for the outline (for now, you have to use meters)
    • There is no search

I'm hoping some people will test this and get back to me with feedback. If it all works as expected and you don't experience significant issues, I will proceed with updating the tutorial instructions.