Tutorial: how to create custom Enscape assets

• Forgot to answer this question: I can definitely to that, as soon as we can figure out a good UX/UI for it, that isn't too crazy to implement. Easiest for me would be to be a button that pops up a dialog that lets you select max resolution, and then any images that are above that treshold are downsampled to that size? Do you think that would be valuable?

It would certainly help many people who don't have the means to batch process the image assets themselves. Reduce the size as well as the color depth.

We were handling other meta data via a simple text file in each asset folder, adding that data as Tags/Description/Bounding Box sizes etc. The Babylon exporter does not include any of that data.

I would also love to see the opacity/transparency added as Enscape implements it.

• I just created the "enscape asset" collection (=layer) in the example file so it's easier to follow the tutorial. If you create your own blender file and import our own content you won't have that layer (but you also don't necessarily need it, as Sheik has rightly pointed out, you can structure the blender file however you like, all that matters are the .gltf and .obj exports).

aha, thank you. It was driving me crazy thinking why Blender would have Enscape layer by default.

• hey there,

would be super if some tutorial could be made on custom vegetation, especially how to prepare stuff for the vertex animation now availeable in 2.8 as "wind"

best, franz

win 10 | 2080ti | dual xeon w2687w | 128gig ram | asus mainboard | ssd | valve index | asus proart 4k monitor

modelling stuff with sketchup, drawing stuff with vectorworks, rendering with cinema4d + corona render & now of course, enscape :)

but best of all > experiencing stuff in VR with enscape !!

• Hadn't had the time yet, but planning on doing that soon.

Great to hear that you've already created such a large library. What types of assets are you creating? What's your workflow for creating them? Where do you get the source files for the assets?

• I have installed 2.8. The fun surprise <spoiler> is that my custom assets in Vegetation category blow in the wind just like Enscape assets!

hm maybe the vegetation material is doing its best or is it that mere fact that its inside a vegetation category? some info from the devs would be cool:)

win 10 | 2080ti | dual xeon w2687w | 128gig ram | asus mainboard | ssd | valve index | asus proart 4k monitor

modelling stuff with sketchup, drawing stuff with vectorworks, rendering with cinema4d + corona render & now of course, enscape :)

but best of all > experiencing stuff in VR with enscape !!

• Please consider posting your feedback in English, otherwise I can't understand it :)

Yes the multiple delete is something I could potentially add in the future, but then we need to have a different concept of selecting. Because which asset would you see when you do a multiple select in the library?

Also, have you created 2006 assets? That's a lot!

• As for the reloading of the library panel everytime time you add or delete items, yes that annoys me as well.

I have 400 items in my library, so it still loads fast, but the more items you have the slower it will become.

I might try to solve that if/when I create a new version.

• The new version has worked great, until a major issue appeared. I deleted a single asset, and the tool ended up deleting my whole library. Absolutely everything, even the parent folder it was in.

I'll start making manual backups right about now :)

Keep up the good work.

• Oh no sorry to hear that. That should definitely NOT happen.

Is there any chance you were deleting an asset that was created with a previous version of the asset creator tool (1.2 and lower)?

Any chance you remember the exact steps when this issue occurred? This would help tremendously with recreating the issue. As soon as I can recreate the issue I will put out a fix.

• Oh no sorry to hear that. That should definitely NOT happen.

Is there any chance you were deleting an asset that was created with a previous version of the asset creator tool (1.2 and lower)?

Any chance you remember the exact steps when this issue occurred? This would help tremendously with recreating the issue. As soon as I can recreate the issue I will put out a fix.

It's ok, since it's a free tool, I'm not having any bitter feelings about this, just thought to inform this can happen.

But yes, it is very possible I had created the asset with the previous version - is that a known thing? If yes, then I've just not been paying attention to any sort of release notes, my bad. Otherwise, I can't say there was anything special;

1) I created an asset and had issues with it's rendering
    2) I created another instance of the same asset with slightly different gltf-file-set
    3) Since the 2) asset worked well, I deleted the 1) asset
    4) After that, selecting any other asset resulted as "Cannot open asset" or such error message
    5) I assumed this was some runtime bug, so I shut down the creator and reopened it only to discover the library was gone

I had my library in a filepath similar to C:\AssetCreator\SomeFolder\TheLibrary and the whole SomeFolder had disappeared with all it's subcontent, which is something I thought worth mentioning; so not only the TheLibrary -folder was gone, but it's parent also.

Ps. The rendering issues; sometimes some Blender-assets render as black. To this, recalculating the mesh's outside fixes the blackness and the textures show off good again.

• it is very possible I had created the asset with the previous version - is that a known thing?

I used a very naive algorithm to delete the assets. Everything should work fine as long as you only use the tool to create assets, but if you also manually create assets (or used the previous tool in the wrong way) it could get ugly like this.

If I end up making a new version of the tool, I will make sure to fix this.

Just as an fyi: the way the delete works is that it goes two folders up from where the .json was for the asset that you are working and deletes that folder. As assets are always supposed to be saved in this path yourlibrary/assetname/Output/assetid.json this should work fine. However, if for some reason your json file is in the wrong place (for example the root folder of your library) it will delete too much.

It's totally my fault, I should have built in some safeguards. I hope you didn't lose too much work.

• Thank you for information. Good to know. This is my bad since I haven't really read any instructions on how and where to place the creator and the library itself, so I've just improvised.

Didn't lose much, I only had couple of dozen of assets and it'll be easy to re-create the whole thing - even good to do because my naming policy wasn't good when I began.

• even good to do because my naming policy wasn't good when I began.

Just an fyi: you can use the asset creator 1.3 to modify the names of the assets. This is safe to do and will not break the assets even if you have already placed them in your projects.

The only thing that you should never change is the ID (the asset creator 1.3 will also no longer allow you to do this).

• Thanks Pieter

I just started using your asset creator yesterday, Thanks for making it.

it helps alot with some of the heavy models. and a lot easier to get more models into the file and faster than looking around my pc to find the model.

:) Got the first 40 models into the program, and just started putting some trees in as well, godt the mask textures to work, so that is nice

• Hello All,

This is going to sound weird, but I can't locate the Enscape.config file to modify. Thus I can't see my custom assets. All the other steps of the tutorial have worked, but I seem to be stuck on this final step. I've done a search of my entire C: drive for anything related to Enscape.config to no avail. I'm running Rhino 6 SR2.8.

Did they move to some other configuration file type?

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Is it this file you cant find to edit?