Rooftiles in Enscape

• Trying to populate a whole roof with rooftiles creates too much geometry. I see alot of projects with pretty good looking roofs. Whats your best tip to make it look good using SU and Enscape?

When using texture and bump I do not get good looking roof. Maybe a better texture and normal map would be better but I haven´t found one yet.

Maybe Enscape could have ready rooftiles in their asset library which could be placed and scaled to fit roofs?

Matthias L has some good looking roofs in his renders. How do you do it Matthias?

• If you want maximum fidelity then going for a full geometry roof is the only way to go - it's also what we do. You could try setting up something with Skatter and use proxies to keep the model nice and light, you still might run into individual component scaling issues depending on the size of the roof plus the edges will need some additional work anyway - but it might be a starting point. There are also a bunch of dynamic roof tile components on the 3DWH but they are really finicky to work with so we ditched that approach.

In the end we went with InstantRoof by ValiArchitects. It's easy to use and works just great for us.

Dialing in this roof took 20-30sec at most. Sure, there still was some more work involved (Sketchup geometry cleanup, gutters, rounding the rafters and beams with Fredo RoundCorner etc.) but this plugin gives you a pretty good baseline to start from. It's not perfect though - the verge tiles are just standard tiles flipped 90° instead of a designated verge tile but oh well - for us it's still more than good enough for the speed saving it provides and the cost..

• I was working on a bathroom the other day and the reference photo I was using showed a roof outside the window. I tried just using a decent texture but it was cutting the mustard.

Ended up drawing a triangle on the end of the roof where the texture lines were, push pulling that across the roof and move copying to the rest of the lines after re applying the text it gives enough geometry to convince the eye but doesn't require the work. You could take it a step further and cut between the tiles but this gets you 80 percent there.

For other styles of roof I would try and approach it the same way, model just enough geometry to give the illusion of it being there haha.

• I was working on a bathroom the other day and the reference photo I was using showed a roof outside the window. I tried just using a decent texture but it was cutting the mustard.

Ended up drawing a triangle on the end of the roof where the texture lines were, push pulling that across the roof and move copying to the rest of the lines after re applying the text it gives enough geometry to convince the eye but doesn't require the work. You could take it a step further and cut between the tiles but this gets you 80 percent there.

For other styles of roof I would try and approach it the same way, model just enough geometry to give the illusion of it being there haha.

That's a perfectly sensible approach - keeping the balance of realism vs. responsiveness is definitely crucial. Not every last bit of trim needs to be perfectly realistic, it just needs to be realistic enough to be believable overall.