Anyone tried GTX 1650 Ti 4GB Max-Q?

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Has anyone tried GTX 1650 Ti 4gb Max-Q? Surely it's not a capable GPU, but the new 15" XPS looks so fantastic with minimal bezel and 16:10 screen ratio, finally.

(https://www.dell.com/en-us/sho…op/spd/xps-15-9500-laptop)

The only questionable thing is the weak GPU. Not sure how well it'd handle Enscape. I have a desktop, i7-7800, 32GB ram with GTX 1070 Ti. It works fine with some lagging. I'm not sure how far 1650 Ti Max-Q would be behind 1070 Ti in the real world use.

Dell also released 17" XPS with RTX 2060, but probably I don't want to carry a 17" laptop. I always missed using Apple laptops even though all programs I use for work are on Windows, but Dell is seriously making Apple laptops look really bad. Not just for value, for the aesthetics. I just wish MS bites the bullet and clean up Windows even if that means any legacy programs won't work anymore. But it's a totally different discussion.

• Official Post

In my experience (own a Razer Blade Stealth 13" as a private laptop) the GTX1650 Max-Q runs Enscape reasonably well, which means you usually get around 30fps in medium sized projects on quality high. So if Dell builds a Ti version (wasn't aware that there exists one) in the XPS15 it should work even a little smoother than that :) However I don't have exact performance figures of the GTX1070 with Enscape at hand to put that into context.

I guess it depends on the project complexity you're working on and if you want to consider VR at some point. Also the GTX1650 doesn't have RTX support, so that might be an argument with future perspective in favor of a machine with at least a RTX2060.

Hope that helps!

• For now I am using a 1050 ti 4gb (just purchased a 1660 super which will arive somehere these days).

But the 1050 still does quite a good and reasonable fast trick on high quality. Ofcourse not a huge screen when I walk through it, but it works pretty well.

Some nuance, I am still in the first month, so quite a rookie. ;)

• Thanks for the reply. A bit surprised you could use Enscape well enough with GTX1650.

GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q is a bit new, but not sure if there's any meaningful difference from the regular GTX1650.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/…_10309_9828.247598.0.html

Max-Q or not, it's still in a laptop and limited to thermal limits. It's basically the GPU tuned to draw less power, sustained, at the cost of slightly less performance. Seeing Max-Q in a laptop is an an indicator that the laptop is likely "thin and light," and geared towards the mainstream market.

• Apologies if this question ha sbeen answered elsewher but I am looking for a 'back-up' laptop for casual Enscape use. I use a Dell workstation with a Quadro P5000 16GB GPU, 64GB RAM and i7 CPU every day and this eats through pretty much anything I throw at it (Enscape, Lumion or Keyshot typically) but with the constant fear of having to isolate or work remotely for a week or two, I want something that can support short term use on low to medium sized projects.

As such, I'm now stuck between two Razer laptops and would love to hear feedbcak from anyone familar with these models.

1. Razer Blade Stealth 13 (Love the small form factor but unsure on capabilities of the GTX 1650 Ti Max Q)

2. Razer Blade 15 Base Model (better GPU in the RTX2060 but a lot bigger!)

• Apologies if this question ha sbeen answered elsewher but I am looking for a 'back-up' laptop for casual Enscape use. I use a Dell workstation with a Quadro P5000 16GB GPU, 64GB RAM and i7 CPU every day and this eats through pretty much anything I throw at it (Enscape, Lumion or Keyshot typically) but with the constant fear of having to isolate or work remotely for a week or two, I want something that can support short term use on low to medium sized projects.

As such, I'm now stuck between two Razer laptops and would love to hear feedbcak from anyone familar with these models.

1. Razer Blade Stealth 13 (Love the small form factor but unsure on capabilities of the GTX 1650 Ti Max Q)

Razers offers a good value for performance and is generally more gamer focused. RGB keyboards and high refresh rate screens, etc.

Generally speaking, the trend for mainstream laptops is thin and light. And that comes with thermal limitations and performance. The 1650 Ti is a generation behind and I wouldn't recommend that laptop with that spec. The Blade 15 would be my choice between the two. I'd also be cross shopping a Dell XPS in that price range. I personally think a 15" screen is necessary for anything other than email. And if you're plugging it into a secondary monitor on your desk and always plugged in, these thin and light laptops are not what I'd recommend. Fan noise on these thin laptops is an issue as well.

There's a ton of other things that are super personal preference with laptops too. Do you need a SD card slot (photography). Do you need 4k resolution (answer = no). Have you typed on each different laptop keyboard before (Lenovo or bust!)? Which has the nicest touch pad? etc etc.

I like Dave Lee's YT channel lately. He has some good user reviews of laptops I trust:

https://www.youtube.com/playli…iZRjpuTNLrzCFtwgbRe8SyNB5

Specifically, his Razer Blade 15 review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?…bRe8SyNB5&index=16&t=197s

TLDR:

I'd choose a non-touch 1080p/1440p screen (NOT 4k). High refresh rate of 120/144hz. Dedicated 2x series GPU (not max-Q variants).

• As such, I'm now stuck between two Razer laptops and would love to hear feedbcak from anyone familar with these models.

fwiw, of 5 Razer laptops at work and known through acquaintances (1060/1070 14/15" vintage,) 4 have needed batteries replaced due to expansion after ~2 years. The 5th will no longer run on battery and Razer quoted $1000+ to replace the motherboard. Of course you can find complaints about any manufacturer online, but Razer seems to get more than its fair share.

With laptops a lot of it comes down to to simple physics, bigger is going run cooler and perform better. It drives me nuts listening to the fans on some of our thinner laptops all day.

• fwiw, of 5 Razer laptops at work and known through acquaintances (1060/1070 14/15" vintage,) 4 have needed batteries replaced due to expansion after ~2 years. The 5th will no longer run on battery and Razer quoted $1000+ to replace the motherboard. Of course you can find complaints about any manufacturer online, but Razer seems to get more than its fair share.

With laptops a lot of it comes down to to simple physics, bigger is going run cooler and perform better. It drives me nuts listening to the fans on some of our thinner laptops all day.

Yep, Razer is known for some QC issues. Dell is not great either. I went through two Dell XPS's before I bought a Lenovo and called it a day.

Also worth mentioning that GPU's in laptops are usually wired through the CPU and there's some performance implication with that - GPU acting as a slave to the CPU, known as hybrid graphics. Thankfully on my Lenovo P1, I can set the discrete GPU (Quadro) as the main graphics, at the severe cost of battery life and noise, of course. CAD and SketchUp don't run particularly well in hybrid mode because of the added latency. I won't work in AutoCAD with "hybrid" graphics enabled- I'll turn on discrete graphics in the BIOS. Even if I have set Nvidia control panel to use the GPU for that application.

• Thanks to everyone that offered an opion on a suitable laptop. Having visited the Razer Store in London (before lockdown!) I had an opportunity to test a standalone Enscape file I put together on both the Stealth 13 (GTX1650) and Blade 15 (RTX2070).

I was very surprised by how well the GTX1650 ran things. I'll admit, there was some very minor pixelisation when moving around the space but for such a small and well built device, it work brilliantly.

That said, the RTX2070 was so smooth. No lag, no pixelisation and great graphics. They were both priced the same and I loved the samll form factor but went for the Blade 15. The larger screen is very helpful (although I do connect it to a much bigger 49" monitor!) and I can upgrade memory and SSD easily (but so far have not needed to).

I've been using it extensively while being unable to go into my office and use my workstation. So far, I would say it is the best laptop I have ever bought and would recommend it to anyone that needs portability and power.