1. Jagged edges of shadows from artificial light 2. Appearance of objects with opacity in reflective surfaces.

• Hi i've been using enscape for quite some time now and i've got a couple of questions.

1. why do i get terribly jagged shadows from smooth shapes when its lighted by artificial light source?

Adjusting the shadow sharpness and artificial light brightness settings doesnt change anything.

Increasing the number of sides of the circle doesnt change anything as well, the one on the left has 500 sides.

2. the appearance (or disappearance) of translucent objects from reflective surfaces are odd, when it is not backed up by a solid material, it vanishes.

And depending on the distance its viewed from, it might be cropped.

Are these just the limitations of the engine now or am I doing something wrong?

• Hi tridious & welcome to our forums!

Are these just the limitations of the engine now or am I doing something wrong?

Unfortunately the short answer is yes - both are "edge" cases that current real-time technology which we use isn't able to handle very well.

The jagged shadows are not due to geometric resolution, but the limited image resolution of so called shadow maps. It's usually far less noticeable though than in the scene you've posted above and depends on the constellation of your light source, the shadow casting & shadow receiving geometry.

We're currently not able to display completely correct reflections of objects with transparency. In case of curtains however I'd in general suggest not to use a material with transparency, but instead use an opaque material, but with a transparency mask or "cutout" texture instead. There're several threads on that topic in the forum, where people also exchanged optimal mask texture files for that purpose :)

Making curtains or seetrough fabric that looks good in Revit Enscape?