Another Voice for full reflections - perhaps just when still rendering?

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Enscape Team:

I know you get this a lot. I want to add my voice to this one. Enscape needs full reflections. If there was an option that would enable full reflections during a still render, but revert back to the current reflection settings during real-time... that would be amazing. As it stands, I'm starting to look into other render solutions due to this. When rendering the exterior spaces of a building, the windows need to reflect the surroundings (e.g. an exterior patio... the windows need to reflect the trellis above the patio).

Thanks for all your work and I look forward to seeing future iterations of the software.

• +1 I have been talking about this for ages already ... speed is not an issue for still renderings... there has to be a way to do this, In about 30 % of my projects we could eventually get away with the current situation, but since we are often dealing with large glass curtain walls which are supposed to reflect certain elements in the context of the building this a huge problem and the reason I have to switch to octane or vray !

here is one (of the several...) other treads dealing with this issue:

Proxies not in reflections

I really think we need a solution here, I get it when the developers don't want to make it to complicated for casual users / beginners, but for power users this is barely acceptable. As I said several times I don't really find the speed argument convincing, of course If we are talking about VRAM or other technical problems that is another thing... but then we might need at least an option for an user controlled adaptable approach, like e.g. Lumion does by providing user defined reflection panes.

best

Andreas

• I agree, this is one of the main areas where enscape is having a hard time competing with the old school offline renders like octane, vray and maxwell. And I too would love to be able to get full reflections in still images at the expense of more render time.

BUT! we as users have to accept that this is much more difficult to achieve for the developers, than simply turning on a feature in the code. if it was that easy, they would have done it ages ago. And i'm completely sure they are fully aware of the demand for this!

Enscape is build from the ground up as a realtime render engine, with all the optimizations and compromises that comes with that. it is NOT comparable to the way traditional renders are coded, and i'm sure that brings a lot of challenges. they have even build in their own realtime raytracing solutions to try to combat the issue, and for each iteration of enscape, the quality increases further.

sure, there are some half-baked solutions like reflection probes that could be used, but it really isn't a long term viable way to go...

for now, I think we have to accept that real time rendering at enscapes level is the bleeding edge of 3D technology, and we cant expect it to be a completely matured and fully featured solution already.

but I AM sure, that everything is being done to get to that point as fast as possible :)

• ...we as users have to accept that this is much more difficult to achieve for the developers, than simply turning on a feature in the code. if it was that easy, they would have done it ages ago. ...but I AM sure, that everything is being done to get to that point as fast as possible :)

sometimes my own coding skills do not go as far as solving the 4-digit code of my own bike lock when I have forgotten it ;):)

So your clarification is correctly and fully understood Herbo :thumbup:

• +1

I have been trying to minimise/avoid mirror featured in my rendered image for my clients but this is not a long term solution for me. Hope Enscape team able to work this out if not I really have no choice to switch to other program once my subscription ends even though I really enjoy using it. :(

• BUT! we as users have to accept that this is much more difficult to achieve for the developers, than simply turning on a feature in the code.

Enscape is great. Compared to traditional rendering engines you usually give up a little bit of fidelity for far greater speed. This is an excellent trade off in most situations for the target market of Enscape (which I assume it is architects, interior designers etc). However this argument collapses when it comes to mirrors. In this case the result is not acceptable, and it doesn't matter how fast you can produce a bad result.

Clearly it isn't easy, but my understanding is that the main issue is the time that such renders would take, and not that such thing is technically impossible. IF this is the case, then we should let Enscape know that we understand that such render is impossible to be done in real time, but we would still love this feature (as an option) for when we render the final image, even if this would take 50 times longer to render.

If my understanding is wrong, and such thing is just impossible with the existing engine, then Enscape still needs a solution. How about having the option of using Cycles (of Blender) which is open source and with a permissive licence that lets it be integrated in commercial software? https://www.cycles-renderer.org/

This way Enscape can have the best of both worlds: A great real time engine & an alternative traditional rendering engine.