Batch render view and file name

• Two questions regarding batch render

1. when batch render, it appears the camera location is different. The view is very different from individual renders. How do you make batch render the same as individual render view?

2. Even with Automatic Naming off, the render files get time stamp in the file names in addition to the scene name. Is there a way to batch render and get render files with only scene names?

• Goodmorning

Changed the title of the thread from “Batch render without timestamp / only scene name” to “Batch render view and file name”.
  • Goodmorning - Which version of Enscape are you using?

In regards to point 1. There will be some changes to the behavior of this in the next version of Enscape that should make this process clearer.

Perhaps this article will explain the current workflow in version 2.7 better, although it may also be advised to try the latest Preview version.

Automatic Naming has no affect when Batch Rendering, but will work with single image rendering.

Its a bit convoluted in version 2.7, which is one reason it has been changed in version 2.8.

• using 2.7.

Thanks for the workflow link, but not sure if it explains or solves the camera relocation issue while batch rendering. Is there 2.8 preview version I can download, and does it solve the issue?

With 2.8 preview version, could I batch render with only scene name in the file name without time stamp?

• @Good Morning - thanks for the reply.

This might be in connection to 'View Synchonization', as with that enabled, Enscape renders a single image using the FoV set in SketchUp. Disable View Synchronization, choose the Named View from Manage Views and then render the single image, which will render out using the FoV that was set when the Named View was created.

Batch Rendering uses the Settings that were made when the Named View was created, regardless of View Synchronization being enabled or not, so this might explain the different camera position you are getting.

This behavior actually has not changed in 2.8, the difference I was referring to is something else, but I'm not at liberty to tell you any more at this point.

We have a feature request regarding including the option to omit the TimeStamp in Batch Rendering, so currently what you want to do is not possible, and I can tell you that it will also not be possible in version 2.8. There does not appear, as of yet, to be much demand for this feature though, so any other users wanting this feature should shout about it a bit so it gets up-voted and the demand noticed by the PM team ;)

• Goodmorning - almost forgot, just to reiterate, you can try the 2.8 preview and if you do want to try the latest Preview version you should click here.

• ;-) thanks for all the explanations - but I do not understand a single word and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    No matter what I set - enscape batch-render renders any arbitrary random unusable results, but never the intended scene.
    The Batch-Render results are not at all congruent with enscapes renderpreview - Rendering a single scene on the other hand gives the right result.

• EGIE - its not easy trying to find the best way to explain it.

I'll try again.

When Batch Rendering, Enscape will render each Named View using the camera position and FoV that was set when that Named View was initially created.

Regardless of whether or not View Synchronization is enabled or not.

If you want to render a single Named View, disable View Synchronization, select the Named View from the Manage Views window, then choose 'Use Current Enscape Viewport' in the Render dialog. Don't select the Named View you want to render in that Render dialog window, choose 'Use Current Enscape Viewport' option.

Does that make this clearer?

• ? thanks but sorry - I have no idea what you are saying ?? ;-) is there finally any Tut out on YouTube?

[single Named Views (which means a normal single render?), unless they are 2-P Perspectives, are always determined by SketchUp scenes with view synchronization enabled because of workflow reasons. But never ever by enscape!]

• ... trying to understand it I have tested a bit more.

Do I understand it correctly? - Enscape's batch rendering is only possible within the Enscape Render Preview Window mode? - but never with the Scenes determined within SketchUp which would require View Synchronization? is this correct? The consequence would be that an automated batch render production of SketchUp scenes would be impossible - is this correct?

• EGIE -

[single Named Views (which means a normal single render?), unless they are 2-P Perspectives, are always determined by SketchUp scenes with view synchronization enabled because of workflow reasons. But never ever by enscape!].

That would be correct, and when View Sync is disabled, then rendering a single image will render the view shown in the Enscape Window, as long as you select 'Use Current Enscape Viewport'.

Enscape's batch rendering is only possible within the Enscape Render Preview Window mode? - but never with the Scenes determined within SketchUp which would require View Synchronization?

I cant answer this, as I am not sure what you mean by 'Enscape Render Preview Window mode'. Can you tell me what you mean by this?

It does sound like we need a video for this, but it seems redundant to do this now, as the next version is around the corner and the behavior will change a bit, but I will certainly make a point of making a video tutorial for this topic as soon as the next version is available, as it seems to confuse enough people, including myself. For the time being I want to try and explain it here. So, please bare with me.

• Hi & thanks Pete Chamberlain, with "Enscape Render Preview Window mode" above I meant "Current Enscape Viewport" ;-)
    (which is a mode that I avoid at all costs as it always leads only to a singular nice image and always avoids a processual reproductability)

Pete Chamberlain,

sorry but I cannot understand what you are trying to explain, either. Do you mind we start from a simple question, then go further?

Question 1- yes or no

Is it possible to have batch renders that match the views I set in Rhino?

I concur with Goodmorning´s question but supplemented by SktchUp's native scenes also:
    Is it possible to have batch renders that match the views I set in SketchUp?

This question is extremely important because it refers to our workflow-, process- and production reality.

Below I´ll show you an example of what "processual reproductability" and "workflow-, process- and production reality" could mean and why a CAD-scene-based batch rendering is so crucial, but never ever any "Current Enscape Viewport"

• Goodmorning - I don't mind this approach at all. Believe me, I understand the frustration of understanding this, as its just as frustrating to try to explain it.

Question 1- yes or no

Is it possible to have batch renders that match the views I set in Rhino?

Answer: Yes. But, it is also worth mentioning at this point that in 2.8 the behvior has changed in Rhino to match the other CAD's. Its mentioned in the Preview Release Notes. It would be worth your while reading that, just to be aware of the changes.

EGIE - So, (this applies to all CAD's), in version 2.8 we have removed the 'Use Current Enscape Viewport' and have bought back a dedicated single image 'Render' button, which means there is a separate Batch Rendering button. So, this makes trying to explain the workflow in 2.7 somewhat redundant. Just to add more complication ;) I would suggest we use 2.8 as the basis of this discussion going forwards, as that is the (most) current implementation we have to work from.

It would be great if you could try that version to see if it makes this easier to understand., But essentially:

Is it possible to have batch renders that match the views I set in SketchUp?

Yes, in terms of camera position (not in terms of materials geometry at the present time), that should be possible, and is indeed the aim. Of course, if its not working how users expect or desire, then that is a matter of concern that we would like to better understand in order to deliver this.

• ... ;) I would suggest we use 2.8 as the basis of this discussion going forwards, as that is the (most) current implementation we have to work from.

It would be great if you could try that version to see if it makes this easier to understand...

... shame on me ;) - where do I find version 2.8 and will it run with my SkUp 2019? (I only find version 2.7.2...)

• EGIE - not a problem, you can find instructions on how to grab the latest Preview version here.

It will run on all CAD's we are supporting , which does include SU2019, and by all accounts so far, is a pretty stable version.

Let me know how you get on with it. I found it much more intuitive to use over the 2.7 implementation.

• ... ok - installed Enscape 2.8 and did all I meant to be done to run a SkUp-Scene-Batch-Render - but not one single Render is matching :?::!::?: not evan close to the SU-Scene. Enscape is rendering any random views. So I assume that I'm missing any detail? what brings up my demand for fast and dirty screencast videos instead of writing too much novels here ;-)

• EGIE - Can you send in your project file so I can see how you have this set up and if I can reproduce this issue you are having?

• EGIE - If the project is below 2GB, you can use https://wetransfer.com/, then PM the link that you will be provided so I can grab the file.

If its over 2GB I will have to provide you a link to upload the file to.

A small sample project file where you can reliably reproduce this issue would also suffice, in order to keep the file size down. As you say yourself, it may just be a misunderstanding of the process, so a sample project file may be preferable.