Video - Highest Quality with Quick render times

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hello y'all. I am new to enscape. I am creating my first video. I have a quick question if someone would want to help. I am curious on what settings to have on to create the best quality of video with the shortest render time. But I do not want to diminish the quality of the video tho. So I would rather have longer render times for quality. Can someone help me with this?

• The upcoming release v2.1 (current preview version) automatically optimizes rendering quality for video exports, you just have to set the rendering quality (general tab) to high (or even ultra).

In the current version, be sure to set the noise reduction slider at the capture tab to the highest. This will take longer. In 2.1, this slider will not exist anymore.

• Official Post

Also, consider setting "Compr. Quality" in the Capture settings tab to Maximum. This will increase the output quality (= video size) without having an effect on render times.

• The upcoming release v2.1 (current preview version) automatically optimizes rendering quality for video exports, you just have to set the rendering quality (general tab) to high (or even ultra).

Hi Thomas, during my last project (the first commercial) I found that "medium" quality gave me a perfect GI lighting at the closed interior, since some skybox light seems to be added from the skybox interior HDRI. Do I understand right, that I could get more render quality if I would set the quality "high", but less faked GI light? Is there a chance to get separate controls for the different parameters instead one slider?

• It might be "perfect GI" for your personal taste, but sliding the quality up certainly brings the result closer to realism (less fake), which will result in more predictable and believable results for most scenes. It's unlikely that we allow access to a large variety of technical parameters in at least the next 12 months. The parameters would be hard to use so that just a fraction of our Enscape users would benefit from it, it would be easy to break the whole image and would create a huge additional effort on our side to maintain all values working independent from each other.

• Thomas Willberger

I have seen your request for Rhino work and I tried to setup an old interior sale space, but it's so difficult to get light into the scene, you want't believe it:

* Emitters - can't be used as light source, since the are not calculated if in background and so this area switched to dark

* rectangular lights - no shadows are visible (shadow bug)

* spot lights - cone is quite limited, only good for light at ground (wide cone angle support missed)

* a lot point lights as fill light - are visible in reflections, so no good choice (invisible for reflection switch needed)

Like you see, it's difficult to bring light into a closed interior - limits and bugs. The render quality slider is a good trick to solve the situation. Couldn't it be used as inspiration for a regular feature? An independent GI bounce slider?

Attached two images from a current test setup, not finalized. The dark version is "ultra" quality and my favorite brighter setup is at "medium" quality.

• Thank you all for the responses. I was able to turn the compr quality to maximum. At 60 fps and 11 seconds before the patch it was rendering at 1.75 hours. Now with the new patch at the same settings it renders at 40 mins cutting the render time in half. Well done boys. My renders are looking really good and you all are killing it. I love the program and will use it in every project that I can.

• Official Post

Thank you all for the responses. I was able to turn the compr quality to maximum. At 60 fps and 11 seconds before the patch it was rendering at 1.75 hours. Now with the new patch at the same settings it renders at 40 mins cutting the render time in half. Well done boys. My renders are looking really good and you all are killing it. I love the program and will use it in every project that I can.

Glad to hear that! :) One thing to consider is, if you really need 60fps or if 30fps (like most videos use) would suffice for your animation. That'd cut rendering time once again in half! ;) 60fps are often only used in video game recordings or sports to display really smooth & sharp fast movements.

• On the other side with a good graphic card - interior animations at 2k with 60fps are very impressive and without Enscape impossible for the most user without a render farm. Last I did a test and I liked the smooth look. I disabled motion blur but the detailed 60 fps gave a fine motion blur effect for the eyes. And my customers can stop the animation and will see a frame at full render quality. Enscape is a game changer!!! :)