Pano stereo slow

• Hey everyone.

I understand that a 360 cardboard pano would take twice as long to render, but a normal 360 one takes about 30 seconds and a stereo one takes about 5 minutes (or more).

What could be the reason of this big difference?

• I've spoken with our developers and this is not a bug - I can gladly go into further technical details but simply put, for stereo panoramas, you need to render more frames to better approximate the rotation when it comes to using a phone plus cardboard for example.

I hope that this difference in rendering time won't be an issue to you? :)

• Ofcourse I hoped for 'a solution', but since it's not a problem, there is not much to do about it.
    I have to make 10 to 15 renders of a very detailed large landscape, so this takes approximately 20 minutes per pano.^^

Thanks for your feedback tho!

• Ofcourse I hoped for 'a solution', but since it's not a problem, there is not much to do about it.
    I have to make 10 to 15 renders of a very detailed large landscape, so this takes approximately 20 minutes per pano.^^

Thanks for your feedback tho!

I see. You're very welcome of course.

In this case, be aware that a dedicated GPU upgrade would of course greatly help with the rendering times of both stereo and non-stereo panoramas. :)

For example, my mobile RTX 2070 takes about 8 seconds to render a normal panorama, and about 1-2 minutes tops for a stereo panorama. Just so you know in case you ever decide to upgrade (or need a good reason to ;) )!

• thats strange, I have a 2070 super and a fresh computer installation...

What Alexander Devaykin said, it was a not so large scene. It also cannot hurt to make sure that your graphics card drivers are up to date, just in case. :)

I reckon that you also export the panoramas in "High" quality (Visual Settings -> Capture tab)? Plus, can you perhaps let me know how large your project is in megabytes?

• The .skp is around 115mb + alot of skattered items through the landscape.

And I have the panorama set to Normal, although the size remains at 8192x8192 pixels (stereo).

Thanks for letting me know - it took me 3:50 to render a stereo panorama in a 300 MB SketchUp file, so as mentioned if you haven't already, make sure to also update your GPU drivers. Newer drivers (depending on how old your current ones are) can include corresponding optimization which may help with getting the rendering time down at least a little bit.

• The current drivers (game ready) were from 15-04 and I am now installing the new ones. I will test it this weekend and come back to you on it! Hope it helps!

Edit: ok, one quick test. After 5 minutes it completed only 1 eye ( so the half) of the stereoscopic panorama. I hope this is not correct...

Demian Gutberlet, is it possible to test this somehow with a file we can use as benchmark?

• DeKoetsier it very probably due to the amount of geometry on the scene - Enscape simply needs some time to converge to the stable result while doing each panorama slice.

Easy way to check if this time is expected is to make a normal screenshot in 2048x2048 resolution and measure how long it takes. Than multiply this time by 64 - the number of screenshots needed for stereo panorama, and it should roughly match the time you measured for complete stereo panorama.

• I think that is the problem indeed Alexander, thanks for your response.

As soon as I turn off the tons of geometry which is being done with Skatter, the whole workflow goes faster.

And this probably has the same 'problem': but with all the geometry skattered, walking goes super slow, while I still have quite a good frame rate. And also flying goes fast. Are these issues connected or maybe even confirming that it is because of the huge amount of geometry?

• This sounds like physics simulation for walking slows down because of the big amount of geometry. This is expected with the growing number of objects we analyze for collision detection. The same applies for the screenshot/panorama rendering. Even if it does not slow down that much for a single screenshot, for stereo panorama multiply the slowdown by 64.

• Thank you for your insight in this matter.

Are you guys by any chance working on procedural rendering of different types of 3d leaves which can be added through materials? Something simular to the grass but with an outcome like the asset of the hedges.

Which in turn would be optimalized for Enscape?

Or alternatevily maybe an optimalisation for Skatter rendering in the distance?

• Thank you for your insight in this matter.

Are you guys by any chance working on procedural rendering of different types of 3d leaves which can be added through materials? Something simular to the grass but with an outcome like the asset of the hedges.

Which in turn would be optimalized for Enscape?

Or alternatevily maybe an optimalisation for Skatter rendering in the distance?

Not planned at the moment, but be assured that your feedback is forwarded - I think this would actually be a nice addition. :)