Crashes when rendering at Ultra HD

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.
  • I'm pretty frustrated, I upgraded my graphics card specifically to run Enscape for a competition, it works great, renders everything below Ultra HD in a couple seconds. Now it's 24 hours from the competition deadline and I can't render final images at an acceptable resolution, it just hangs and crashes the program. I'm super behind now, scrambling for options and rendering everything thru Rhino again sadly. Tried enabling auto-resolution, tried turning off RTX. Any resolution below Ultra HD works great.

Also the EnscapeVisualSettings command isn't what's mapped to the actual application button, making me type it in every time, so that's super irritating.

Kinda regretting the investment I've made here and wondering if anyone can help me salvage it.

• Official Post

Hi evanstravers

welcome to our forums. Sorry to hear that you're having issues rendering higher resolutions. Usually this is due to a lack of graphics card memory, which graphics card did you upgrade to? You can send us log files via the feedback button so we can verify that assumption for you.

You might want to try the Preview version of the upcoming 2.8 release. You can find a link at the bottom of the download page for it. Version 2.8 will have a feature called temporal upsampling that allows you to render higher output resolutions with less memory required to essentially the same quality. It automatically kicks in if your graphics card won't be able to handle the selected output resolution.

Please let us know if this helps!

• I'm pretty frustrated, I upgraded my graphics card specifically to run Enscape for a competition, it works great, renders everything below Ultra HD in a couple seconds. Now it's 24 hours from the competition deadline and I can't render final images at an acceptable resolution, it just hangs and crashes the program. I'm super behind now, scrambling for options and rendering everything thru Rhino again sadly. Tried enabling auto-resolution, tried turning off RTX. Any resolution below Ultra HD works great.

Also the EnscapeVisualSettings command isn't what's mapped to the actual application button, making me type it in every time, so that's super irritating.

Kinda regretting the investment I've made here and wondering if anyone can help me salvage it.

Hope your competition went fine. How close can you render below 4k? Is it a still image or a video that's failing? If it's a still image, Photoshop handles up-scaling quite well. We have up-scaled from 11x17 size to 36x48, and it looked just fine. Surely it's because with 36x48 you are looking at it a bit far away, but you might be able to get away with it if you can render to the resolution you need as close as possible without crashing.

Clemens, does this temporal upsampling work with videos as well?

• Goodmorning, yes it does - eventhough video resolutions are usually not that high - but it works for both cases.

In this day and age, we shouldn't regard video at 4k as unusual.

(I have to admit it upsets me when Windows laptop makers refuse to make 2k screen laptops like Apple or MS, and they stick to either 4k or 1080p. 1080p is too low res for today's standard, and 4k laptop screen has no benefit compared to 2k whatsoever, it only drains battery. That's all. Stupid marketing)