Panoramas on browser - Black Screen

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hi all,

We got a visualization issue, on some devices we get a black screen when trying to open the panorama views that are uploaded on the cloud. It happens on a desktop+chrome (we tried with explorer on the same computer and it worked) and on an Iphone+chrome/safari.

We would like to share this views with clients and consultants but at this point we don't want to risk the person receiving the link would not be able to see it.

Wondering if anybody else had a similar thing.

Thank you

• Rovio I'm sorry to hear that! The panorama functionality uses JavaScript. So if JavaScript is disabled in a browser it won't work.

On iOS devices, there is a global switch for allowing JavaScript. If this one is deactivated it won't work in any browser on this device.

maybe this link can help you: http://activatejavascript.org/en/instructions/ios

• Official Post

I'm sorry to hear about that - first off, can you perhaps send me one of those problematic panoramas via a DM? Furthermore, most importantly, which browser are you using and does it help if you use either the latest version of Firefox/Chrome for example?

• ... hmm - the same "black"-issue here.
    To be more precise - the "normal" pano works, but the cardboard version only ends in black

Are you intending to use it with Google Cardboard? Note that on iPhone, Apple has changed a number of things with regard to cardboard support. Last I checked, Enscape panoramas will not go full screen on newer phones in horizontal mode. So they can't really be use with Cardboard.

• Are you intending to use it with Google Cardboard? Note that on iPhone, Apple has changed a number of things with regard to cardboard support. Last I checked, Enscape panoramas will not go full screen on newer phones in horizontal mode. So they can't really be use with Cardboard.

ok, and yes, I am - we tested this on all available phones - Android and Apple - all refused to work, everything stayed black everywhere and none switched to this "dual" screen mode

• fwiw I've tried a number of 360 tour options - SeekBeak is one of the few I've found that works properly with iPhone + Cardboard. It's another step but you can upload the Enscape panoramas there. Not the "cardboard" stereo ones, just the standard 360s. but the cardboard versions never looked quite right to me anyway.

• I just saved this pano from SKP 2021 and Enscape 2.9.1. Does it work for you?

The iPhone has two prompts asking for access to motion sensors before it opens.

On my Phone (12 Pro/iOS 14.3) it works fine but will not go full screen in portrait or landscape (or cardboard/VR mode)

On my Phone (12 Pro/iOS 14.3) it works fine but will not go full screen in portrait or landscape (or cardboard/VR mode)

It works for me on my iphone 11 with latest IOS

in chrome, edge and safari browsers

both normal mode and cardboard mode

• ... in "normal" mode it is perfect (:thumbup::thumbup:) but the cardboard/VR mode doesn´t work

for cardboard/VR not working on that example, is it a black screen, or does it show split images, just not full screen? Or split images with no motion?

Compare to this example from SeekBeak. There is a initially a prompt to tap the screen to allow motion control (note if you miss this you may need to reload the link.) Then in horizontal mode there is another prompt to swipe up to allow full screen. Enscape needs to add this additional permission to go full screen for the images to work properly using a cardboard viewer.

• for cardboard/VR not working on that example, is it a black screen, or does it show split images, just not full screen? Or split images with no motion?

Compare to this example from SeekBeak. There is a initially a prompt to tap the screen to allow motion control (note if you miss this you may need to reload the link.) Then in horizontal mode there is another prompt to swipe up to allow full screen. Enscape needs to add this additional permission to go full screen for the images to work properly using a cardboard viewer.

your example above remains black and without any split screen at all.This last one directly here above also remains black, but at least with a split screen and some icons (??) in it.
    I tried older panos of mine (around 2018 - 2019), these worked. From about 2020, this cardboard option failed then (see example)

Sorry, Correction: your last example from SeekBeak works perfectly - I just had not understood the (for me) new control first ;)

This one works for me. How odd, because none of mine work on mobile, only on PC. Does this one work for you folks?

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the export setting. I export on high quality every time - was this one exported on normal quality? I'm wondering if there's a hard resolution limit for mobile that fails if you do cardboard or high quality export setting. But it's odd because a month or so ago this problem didn't exist at all.

• I'm getting mixed results, I can load it occasionally on my phone : sometimes by closing down other background processes.

I wonder if such a large image 20MB (216megapixels) is hitting some kind of resource limit/safety mechanism somewhere.

Perhaps the simple solution is to use the "normal" resolution which is a 16K equirectangular size (which is still more than adequare for what will likely be a relatively low-resolution screen) . the 16k*16K size may simply be too much for a typical device and is perhaps best reserved for VR dedicated hardware.

Especially when you consider your clients might be using an old ipod or old cheap phone for a cardboard viewer anyway, you almost need to consider that your clients may not have great devices.

• I'm wondering if this has something to do with the export setting. I export on high quality every time - was this one exported on normal quality? I'm wondering if there's a hard resolution limit for mobile that fails if you do cardboard or high quality export setting. But it's odd because a month or so ago this problem didn't exist at all.

That was exported on Normal. Seems like that's the issue. A new one exported on High crashes for me on iPhone. At some point Enscape increased "high" from 8k to 16k, I wonder if that is when things broke for you.

Perhaps the simple solution is to use the "normal" resolution which is a 16K equirectangular size (which is still more than adequare for what will likely be a relatively low-resolution screen) . the 16k*16K size may simply be too much for a typical device and is perhaps best reserved for VR dedicated hardware.

I believe "normal" is 8k*4k - "High" is 16k*8k.

Carboard pano would generate a stereo pair at 2x of those stacked, so 8k x 8k or 16k x 16k total. But the stereo version is pretty much irrelevant when the image won't display full-screen on the phone. At any rate I'd agree that 16k is overkill for sending to most clients.

• Ok, looks like I'll try exporting at normal.

I remember when Enscape bumped the resolution up, was a nice surprise - but I'm pretty sure the black screen on mobile is a problem that is more recent than that change, so I think it has more to do with recent changes/backend on Enscape's viewer than it does the resolution of the image. Especially if these panos' work perfectly fine on 3rd party tools on mobile (though I haven't checked that).

• Apologies for our late reply to this.

We found that there is an issue with our High resolution panorama's, these don't work under WebKit browsers for mobile at the moment.

Using a browser like Firefox should work however.

If this is also still occurring in VR/Cardboard with a Medium resolution, please let us know what phone model this is happening with.