Fur material for shaggy carpets

• Hi!

Would it be possible to add some kind of fur material in Enscape? I know it's been mentioned here and there but haven't found proper feature request yet.

It's extremely hard to create any kind of furry or shaggy carpets for example. I already tried all sort of tricks - grass, skatter, modeling but haven't found a good solution. I also tried latest carpet material preset. It's somewhat useful but still it's difficult to get realistic furry material. It's also annoying that one cannot make height of grass or carpet material smaller than it's smallest setting...

Lumion 9 has a great realtime fur material, see here:

Thanks!

• Agreed, the new carpet material looks pretty bad. Also, it's clearly designed for shaggy carpets, which most carpets aren't, so I think having it default any material with the name carpet in it to this new material is a bad idea. It should be opt in, rather than opt out.

• Thank you for all the feedback, I'm sorry to hear that the current carpet appearance is not to your liking - be assured that your feedback will be forwarded and discussed accordingly. Would you mind also sharing a few screenshots of any carpets you'd like to reproduce in Enscape? :) That would be great as further examples.

When it comes to the grass/carpet overstepping edges, we usually recommend to define a smaller area with that grass/carpet material, but I can understand that this is unnecessarily time consuming. I'll also discuss this internally, thank you!

• Looking at the Lumion fur video, I think they've got it right. They appear to be using individual furs/strands rather than patches, which is how they're able to get clean edges. In addition, they're oriented in the normal direction rather than the z axis, so you can turn corners. The color of each fur is determined by the diffuse color, so patterns read through. The settings for droopiness in addition to size are appreciated as well. The more Enscape can integrate these kinds of programable shaders into the material editor the better it will be. The challenge with Revit is the lack of a dedicated Enscape material editor.

I think that patches still make the most sense for grass (though perhaps with some smaller individual strands and tinier clumps to fill out the edges?) Again Lumion does this very well with their numerous grass presets to choose from.

• When it comes to the grass/carpet overstepping edges, we usually recommend to define a smaller area with that grass/carpet material, but I can understand that this is unnecessarily time consuming. I'll also discuss this internally, thank you!

Thank you for your reply, but no. All of us are (obviously) working in a professions where meters, centimeters and millimeters count. Your rendering solution already does so much right but having this little detail go awry cause I'm not using an arbitrary workaround is not really acceptable.

• Thank you for your reply, but no. All of us are (obviously) working in a professions where meters, centimeters and millimeters count. Your rendering solution already does so much right but having this little detail go awry cause I'm not using an arbitrary workaround is not really acceptable.

I understand that, thank you for the further feedback. As mentioned, this is a topic I'll discuss internally with our developers to see what we can do.

• +1, a respectable fully parametric Fur/grass material /geometry would give me one more reason to full migrate from VRay to Enscape. :)

Forwarded gladly, thanks.