New Laptop Recommendations

• I am looking for a new laptop to run Revit with Enscape - possibly for VR also. A typical file size would be a little under 200,000 kb.

I am leaning towards this laptop - Lenovo Legion Y740 Gaming Laptop, 15.6 inches FHD (1920 x 1080), 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H (2.60 ghz or 4.5 ghz with turbo-boos, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q, Windows 10

• Any thoughts on this configuration for Revit and Enscape?
    • Is the turbo-boost important or is the normal clock speed more important?
    • Do I need Windows 10 Pro in lieu of Windows 10 Home?

Any input is appreciated.

• I think it would be great, the "bottleneck" is probably the 16GB ram but with those file-sizes it should not be a big problem.

The turbo-boost is standard CPU stuff, what it basically means is that it will run one core at 4,5ghz and the rest at 2,6ghz which is fine as Revit mostly only utilize one core.

Windows 10 home is also fine.

• I am looking for a new laptop to run Revit with Enscape - possibly for VR also. A typical file size would be a little under 200,000 kb.

I am leaning towards this laptop - Lenovo Legion Y740 Gaming Laptop, 15.6 inches FHD (1920 x 1080), 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H (2.60 ghz or 4.5 ghz with turbo-boos, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q, Windows 10

• Any thoughts on this configuration for Revit and Enscape?
    • Is the turbo-boost important or is the normal clock speed more important?
    • Do I need Windows 10 Pro in lieu of Windows 10 Home?

Any input is appreciated.

- Great configuration for Enscape and Revit for sure

- Allow me to quote someone from a different forum regarding this technical question:

"Turbo Boost" only kicks in when the CPU is under very high utilization and, depending on power profile, the CPU decides that it can do better with higher clock speed. On laptops you might not see turbo boost having as much of an effect, especially on battery power, because the software or firmware might not want to use turbo boost and its accompanying energy consumption because it'd burn through your battery too fast."

So in the end a bit of higher clock speed may be better, but the CPU should generally not bottleneck the RTX 2070.

- Check out this article here for example, to find out which version would work better for you. You should be fine with any of the two.

• I think it would be great, the "bottleneck" is probably the 16GB ram but with those file-sizes it should not be a big problem.

The turbo-boost is standard CPU stuff, what it basically means is that it will run one core at 4,5ghz and the rest at 2,6ghz which is fine as Revit mostly only utilize one core.

Windows 10 home is also fine.

Thanks for your thoughts. Perhaps I’ll go to 32 GB ram.

• Thanks for your thoughts. Perhaps I’ll go to 32 GB ram.

Definitely can't hurt if you want to be futureproof. ;)

• Or you can wait for the new Ryzen lineup to drop their top lineup processors for CPU, the 4000 series. And you can choose between Nvidia and their own Vega graphics lineups. Check here -

https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-processors-laptop

Or the intel one's...
    They can easily manage the enscape and other software's as well.

And for the windows part, both have some little difference -
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-i…re-windows-10-home-vs-pro

https://beebom.com/windows-10-home-vs-pro/

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/lapto…ences-new-features-718532

These are providing their own points, you'll get a clear understanding for your usage.

• Hi all,
    I hope all good.
    Could you please advise me of what you consider the best CPU+GPU for a laptop working with Enscape (for big projects with a lot of renderings / cost is not the deal right now :)).
    Do you think that Quadro RTX will make the difference ? Or like RTX 2080 Ti totally enough and even better than Quadro series ? For CPU do you advise AMD or Intel series ?
    I plan to have minimum 32go RAM and maybe 64.
    Thanks for your help,
    Have a nice day

• I don't think there is 2080ti for laptops, the 2080 Max-Q is the top "gaming" GPU available, so in that regard if money is not an issue a top tier Quadro will probably perform slightly better (but also more then double the price of the laptop...)

As things stand at the moment both the CPU and GPU markets have just released or are just about to release now products, so If you can wait a month or two then I would advice that you hold out for a laptop with AMD Ryzen 5000-series CPU (looking far superior to Intel at this stage, especially on the mobile segment)

and a RTX 3080 Max-Q GPU (Or possibly a new AMD GPU depending on performance, they will be announced today actually)

Tl;dr If you buy a top of the line laptop today it will be smashed performance-wise in a matter of weeks by the new hardware.

• Do you think that Quadro RTX will make the difference ? Or like RTX 2080 Ti totally enough and even better than Quadro series ?

2080 will generally outperform Quadro for real-time graphics. The only reason to get, say, the RTX5000 is if you need the extra VRAM to work on really large projects. We use 8GB cards on large hospitals and I don't think I've seen one max out.

Note the mobile RTX 4000/5000 are Max-Q variants. For top performance you want 2080 Max-P, which falls between Max-Q and an actual desktop card. It only really comes in a handful of thicker 17" laptops, and they don't always specify. This HP Omen 17t has a great price/performance ratio. If you want a 15" there are a number of 2080 max-Q options in the 4-5lb range. But really, size does matter - larger laptops simply have better cooling and can run the GPU faster.

Agreed with Bobbechk that you will get better performance if you can wait for nvidia 3000-series laptops. But given the difficulty they are having with availability on the desktop cards and that mobile versions haven't even been announced, I doubt there will be anything released until 2021. And generally with laptops it is going to be thermals that are the limiting factor, so I wouldn't expect an earth-shattering leap in performance.

• Hi guys,

thank you very much for your helpful answer.

AMD announcement seems to be great for its knew gpu and cpu´s.

I think I should just be patient before investing on a futur laptop.

thanks again

Yes but do note that the AMD GPU does not have "RTX" technology that Enscape makes great use of, it does however have some kind of equivalent that probably will not work with Enscape for some time or at all...

• We are looking at getting a new 2in1 laptop for running Enscape. We want a 2in1 formfactor, which I know limits greatly what we can choose from. The Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel seem to be designed exactly for what we want. It comes with a NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2080 SUPER with 8 GB dedicated memory or NVIDIA® Quadro RTX 3000 with 6 GB dedicated memory. I am guessing that the GeForce is better for Enscape but I think that the "super" after 2080 means that it is tuned down to save power, so maybe the Quadro is better? Anyone have any experience with either of these or have an opinion on which is better?

I have just seen that there is also a Pro version available that has the: NVIDIA® Quadro RTX™ 5000 with Max-Q Design with 16 GB dedicated memory. I suppose that this one will be the fastest by far? This laptop has a Maximum Power Supply of 230W, so I suppose that they are giving a decent bit of power to the GPU?

Here is a link to the webpage https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/…nceptd-model/NX.C5FEK.001

Any advice or help appreciated.

• We are looking at getting a new 2in1 laptop for running Enscape. We want a 2in1 formfactor, which I know limits greatly what we can choose from. The Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel seem to be designed exactly for what we want. It comes with a NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2080 SUPER with 8 GB dedicated memory or NVIDIA® Quadro RTX 3000 with 6 GB dedicated memory. I am guessing that the GeForce is better for Enscape but I think that the "super" after 2080 means that it is tuned down to save power, so maybe the Quadro is better? Anyone have any experience with either of these or have an opinion on which is better?

I have just seen that there is also a Pro version available that has the: NVIDIA® Quadro RTX™ 5000 with Max-Q Design with 16 GB dedicated memory. I suppose that this one will be the fastest by far? This laptop has a Maximum Power Supply of 230W, so I suppose that they are giving a decent bit of power to the GPU?

Here is a link to the webpage https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/…nceptd-model/NX.C5FEK.001

Any advice or help appreciated.

All the laptop GPU's have lower power-requirements (and thermals) then the desktop variants, in this case a 2080 Super ("mobile") is actually a refresh (updated) variant of the 2080 and will perform almost the same as the original desktop 2080. For any type of laptop this is the best "gaming" GPU currently available

For Enscape use I would bet the 2080 Super mobile actually still beats the Quadro, it's only real advantage would be the 16GB memory but I've never run into any problems with 8GB with pretty large models.

The Quadro might perform better in some specialized applications but if you are only going to use these laptops for revit+enscape I don't see the point in spending that much more money.