Revit vs. Sketchup

• So again, I would like to point out that Enscape is extremely cool and powerful tool that is greatly appreciated. As a Revit user I was working with 3Ds max and Vray as an addition and render solution. Even thou more powerful then Enscape this max-vray solution is way more time consuming and more complicated than staying in Revit and illustrating with Enscape. One thing that I have noticed is that Sketchup Enscape is getting more powerful and with more options that Revit version. This has probably something to do with Revit being a massive dinosaur that is as great to work with as an architect, but it lacks the lightness and finess for concept and illustrations. This is probably a tread for Revit forum but is it just me or are there other jelly or frustrated Revit users out there?

Have you seen the amount of bad examples of Revit-Enscape renderings and scenes, ugh.

- Model handling

- Material options and interface

- or even number of Revit/SketchUp Enscape tutorials on YouTube

• So again, I would like to point out that Enscape is extremely cool and powerful tool that is greatly appreciated. As a Revit user I was working with 3Ds max and Vray as an addition and render solution. Even thou more powerful then Enscape this max-vray solution is way more time consuming and more complicated than staying in Revit and illustrating with Enscape. One thing that I have noticed is that Sketchup Enscape is getting more powerful and with more options that Revit version. This has probably something to do with Revit being a massive dinosaur that is as great to work with as an architect, but it lacks the lightness and finess for concept and illustrations. This is probably a tread for Revit forum but is it just me or are there other jelly or frustrated Revit users out there?

Have you seen the amount of bad examples of Revit-Enscape renderings and scenes, ugh.

- Model handling

- Material options and interface

- or even number of Revit/SketchUp Enscape tutorials on YouTube

generally , render quality in sketchup is better than revit . i'm too using revit and i have this problem

• Hey Elvir , thanks for your post. :)

I understand your concerns and it does in the end boil down to a matter of preference whether Enscape will be used with Revit, SketchUp, or even ArchiCAD/Rhino.

Still, it's not our goal to add more and more exclusive functionalities and leave Revit behind, not at all the case. I agree that SketchUp for example allows for proxy imports and the ability to set the grass height, compared to having only keywords for this in Revit - this may very well change in the future though.

But, as I gather from your post, it's more about a frustration with the way Revit works, right? If so, then this is also understandable - I know a lot of people who use Revit successfully in their daily lives without any problems, but on the other hand we also have a lot of users which prefer SketchUp. If you have any specific wishes regarding how we could make your life a little bit easier when it comes to using Revit + Enscape gladly let me know!

• You’re doing a great job Man,Keep it up.

• I'm finding this recently as I am sort of a new starter in visualisation trying to learn how to create better visuals with the Revit and Enscape combination. There are a vast array of brilliant textures out there that offer Normal, Displacement, Specular, Roughness etc maps, and we as Revit users just can't take advantage of these, but it appears if I was using SketchUp and Enscape I could take advantage of these (If I am understanding correctly).

• at_ross , all these material settings are also available via Revit itself (the labels are just different):

https://enscape3d.com/communit…evit-material-parameters/

And, the displacement mapping and video textures have to be applied a bit differently - but, this will be a thing of the past in the near future once we'll offer a dedicated material editor for Revit as well. Still, in the meantime, you're able to achieve the exact same results as in SketchUp material-wise and overall, you just have to apply the materials accordingly.

Let me know in case any questions come up!

• And, the displacement mapping and video textures have to be applied a bit differently - but, this will be a thing of the past in the near future once we'll offer a dedicated material editor for Revit as well.

Does that mean what I think it means ;)

Super excited to have an Enscape material editor in Revit, but also a tiny bit worried about how this will be linked up with the Revit materials.

If we tweak a material in Enscape, it would be nice if the basic parameters (color map, tint, transparency etc) carry over to the Revit material so that when we use things like "realistic view" we don't see something completely different than what we see in Enscape. It would negate the concept of a BIM model somewhat. Of course it will be impossible to get every single setting to carry over to Revit, but the basic ones would be important.

I am writing a texture manager for Revit plugin, and I now know first hand how convoluted that area of the Revit api is, so sending a lot of positive vibes to the developer who's going to take this on ;)

• Thanks for the feedback Pieter ! :) It's still in its early stages and I really can't say much about it yet - Still, what you just elaborated will also be forwarded of course, as always!

• is it just me or are there other jelly or frustrated Revit users out there?

LOL - I'd be better off committing seppuku than suggest on a public forum 'Ketchup is a better alternative (to Revit) for what I do. So no, no jealousy here whatsover.

This topic is, and has always been, a case of horses for courses. No one tool is perfect, you pick the one that bests meets your needs.

Yes, the widely available content available for established visualisation-aimed authoring formats like skp, 3dm & .max mean folk can very readily, and convincingly populate their scenes - and outputs (tend to) look good for it. That's great if that's your game - and that's why platforms that aren't really (truly/singularly) aimed at a modelling/viz. workflow offer an array of export output methods from their native .rvt, .pln or .vwx format.

Sure, it's not frictionless, (regardless of what A'desk marketing might say/sell about Revit-Max Workflows, or what RhinoInside promises) - but that wasn't the issue specifically raised (though arguably should be) not that I want .skp entourage content anywhere near my production models.

• I've used SketchUp and Revit both for 20 years. Each have their steep learning curve and idiosyncrasies.

If you want to do something once quickly - use SketchUp. But if you have to keep making a lot of changes it's going to be tedious and annoying. If you have to share your workflow with someone else at the same time it's going to be tedious and annoying. If you have to count, quantify and document it's going to be tedious and annoying. But doing something once can be a pleasure.

If you want to do something that may be harder once but changing it will be easier - use Revit. If you have to share your workflow with someone else use Revit. If you have to count, quantify and document it's going to be easier to use Revit. Knowing how something has to change and behave (part<>whole) takes away the stress from having to change it.

If you really really want to deeply understand how to use Revit get a finished set of construction documents. On paper. Turn off the TV for six months and re-create that set of documents in Revit so that if you printed both sets someone couldn't tell the difference. All the way from the site up. If it's not in the box make it. Don't download it unless it's a material. If the Revit family is not in the installed Revit family library make it using the appropriate template.

In six months you will have learned what Revit does. But more importantly, you'll have learned what Revit does not do. And most importantly, you'll know when to apply an elegant work around as opposed to hacking your way through.