Enscape links shown - Dot cloud

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hello there. I wanted to ask if its possible to show a dot cloud import inside enscape thats linked in Revit.

As of current not even the dots are being shown. Is that due to performance limitations - well dot clouds arent performance friendly - or is it because it wasnt yet needed to implement.

The Dot-cloud itself is a 3D scanned building imported from Recap Pro to Revit.

Thanks in advance for answears !

• Official Post

That is not yet possible - It's a demanded feature request on our agenda to which I've gladly added your upvote, but due to performance and technical reasons point clouds are not yet supported, but may very well be in future. :)

• That is not yet possible - It's a demanded feature request on our agenda to which I've gladly added your upvote, but due to performance and technical reasons point clouds are not yet supported, but may very well be in future. :)

Thanks Demian, as always, for your thoughtful replies. I have browsed through a few posts regarding point clouds and Enscape this morning, and I am getting the sense there may be an opportunity for a blog post or message of some kind explaining what the challenges of developing a rendering capability in Enscape are (starting with the fact that the emphasis is on the "Clouds" part of "Point Cloud" equation and the reality that at the end of the day a point cloud is nothing but a dense collection of points with an rgb value assigned to them which has all kinds of implications in terms of creating a ray-traced rendering). I'd be happy to team up and do a guest post on the topic if you like, just reach out! Cheers!

• There are methods to triangulate/mesh and drape photoetxtures over pointclouds in 3dsMax adn Rhino for example.

I have previously created my own assets for Enscape through 3dsMax and placed in my Revit-model and then simulated in Enscape 3.

I wonder if it is realistic to attempt to create an asset of a reasonably large triangulated point cloud (a building or limited landskape) and place it correctly in the world? Are there limits to mesh count and detail level (size of triangles and edge lengths) to be considered? How could collisions be affected etc.?

• Also, I was a big fan of VRML in the olden days. It had point and line/edge objects taht rendered volumeless objects like points an lines without thickness.

If not, points and shapes in 3dsMax gan be generated into little spheres (for points) and tubes (for lines) easily and then perhaps imported to SketchUp (or Revit as a custom Ensapce Asset).

Although I believe color information from the pooint cloud would be lost. Even 3dsMax have som issues with reading point colors and transfering these to material/shader parameters. I believe it would require some max-scripting atleast.

• Official Post

Hi there Demian Gutberlet, any progress on this? :)

I'm afraid not yet, but your upvote has been forwarded.

Another vote for this feature. We're utilising point cloud data more and more; it would be great to show them in our renders.

Thank you very much as well, and a warm welcome to our Forum. :)

• Another vote here for point clouds, although I'm sure I've thrown votes towards this years back.

Even a limited version of points might suffice if required. I see other game engine powered solutions like autodesks own recap and infraworks showing point clouds. They might use limits but have some adjustability.

• Another vote here for point clouds, although I'm sure I've thrown votes towards this years back.

Even a limited version of points might suffice if required. I see other game engine powered solutions like autodesks own recap and infraworks showing point clouds. They might use limits but have some adjustability.

Unreal Engine supports point clouds since version 4.25 and even some degree of editing them. So the tech is definitely there and it's possible to have it running smoothly, so let's hope the Enscape team takes notice of it.

[Blocked Image: https://aecmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/LiDAR.gif.gif]

The well known platform Sketchfab has ways of visualizing point clouds in 3D environment too: https://skfb.ly/6CGqI

And just to be cheeky there - Enscape's largest competitor already has it on their "critical" roadmap for implementation. (-:

• Official Post

JScape and antoniovachev , thanks a lot - your additional input has been forwarded.

• Also, I was a big fan of VRML in the olden days. It had point and line/edge objects taht rendered volumeless objects like points an lines without thickness.

If not, points and shapes in 3dsMax gan be generated into little spheres (for points) and tubes (for lines) easily and then perhaps imported to SketchUp (or Revit as a custom Ensapce Asset).

Although I believe color information from the pooint cloud would be lost. Even 3dsMax have som issues with reading point colors and transfering these to material/shader parameters. I believe it would require some max-scripting atleast.

I have sucessfully used Autodesk Recap Photo to create assets in Enscape from photometry.

I am currently testing top convert Recap pooint-clouds to triangulated meshed to see if that would be a way to get couds as meshes ti Enscape atleast, until Enscape is capable to displaying points.