Curvature Banding Problem

• Hey everyone.

I'm experiencing a problem with Enscape that I've never had before. I think it's new because I never noticed it before. Please see the picture below. I have a weird "banding" problem when I shine the sunlight on this curved surface. It's a simple semicircle with 24 sides. Tried reducing the segment count, copy pasting, drawing from scratch in a brand new file. Checked graphic card updates. Nothing helps. Is this normal? I don't remember ever coming across a problem like this before.

• ... hmm - without knowing why or how this effect occurs - could you share the model or at least a part of it? So I/we could reproduce this "bug" possibly or even find any solution. (btw - a great modeling so far!)

• This looks a lot like what I see on lower resolution people models.

The smoothing of the geometry seems to only apply to the diffuse coloring. The shadowing reveals the facets.

There is likely a more technical explanation, but the short answet is... This looks normal from what I have seen Enscape capable of with curved surfaces and shadows.

Would love to be proven wrong with some magical setting though!

• VahePaulman ...thank you for updating us on your workaround.

I would not consider it "solved" though as there are times when we want 0% sharpness.

Demian Gutberlet ...are you suggesting he should remodel the wall and add more polygons to avoid this artifact?

The facets that are shown in the model would not be considered "low resolution" for that size wall and curvature, considering industry standard "smoothing" hides the facets quite acceptably. We almost always rely on smoothing for models that would otherwise show their polygons.

Is this type of artifact a known issue with Enscape? Is the solution to remodel surfaces with more polygons? If so, can you provide some specific guidelines as to what is considered "too low" polygon for Enscape to handle well?

Thanks!

• renderwiz thank you for your input and interest. You're right, finding the bug didn't help to solve the problem.

I tried to scale the whole model to see if it would make a difference. There is a slight change in the banding problem when I scale the model 5x. Here are 2 pics to compare with a scale estimate.

This is the original. The archways are ~30 cm apart.

And this is 5x bigger. Archways ~140cm

Even if I scale it 10x you can still see the banding problem. It fully disappears when you set Shadow Sharpness to 100%.

• I can reassure you my faces are all smooth and curved; it's common knowledge an unsmoothed face will create the banding problem so making sure the faces were smooth is the least I could do... But as I proved earlier, the problem is in the Soft Shadow setting.

• As you've already noticed, this is a scale related issue. Enscape is usually optimized for architecture scenes, therefore very small, or especially large geometry might exhibit some artifacts as shown above. We're aware of this limitation when it comes to softshadows, but currently don't see a good alternative. If we'd tweak it for smaller geometry it'd show issues on larger scenes again and vice versa.

• So.... I offered before but a solution to the impossibility of the "big vs small" details issue could be a "Global Scale" adjustment which happens on the fly within Enscape. Since I can manually adjust the scale of my scene in Sketchup and find an optimal size for a particular defect, I assume you guys could do the same on your end during the conversion. If this were a slider named "Shadow Bias" or some other nomenclature, we would have the ability to deal with stuff like this.

• Sorry, this is nothing we're considering at the moment. If we'd expose all the little knobs and switches that configure literally hundreds of fine tuned parameters for all the rendering effects it'd be a nightmare of a settings interface, which almost no one would really be able to understand and use properly. That's simply not our vision of the product, which has always been to make architecture rendering accessible to everyone.

However as I said, we're aware of these limitations in certain scenarios and are definitely going to address it, once there's a solid solution for it.

• ... Hi - I´m running into a similar shadow casting problem and can't figure out how to fix it - so any advice is welcome;)
    is increasing the rounding´s segment geometry the only (not solution) bypass here?