eGPU for Enscape running Revit

• Hello,

I have done some research but don't see a lot of result to know about this. Has anyone had any experience buying a external graphic card enclosure (eGPU) and a desktop graphic card to use it for Enscape? We have mainly laptops as work computer in the office. I am wondering if it could be a good idea to have an external GPU to boost the productivity of using Enscape. I know eGPU is still a fairly new technology so I wanted to see if this could be a good way to use this instead of buying a new computer. We have Dell precision. My understanding is as long as there is a thunderbolt USB-C cable to connect to the laptop, that should work with the enclosure (both Razer and ASUS works).

Many of our projects are mid size to large scale. I feel like I could use more powerful graphic card to help increasing the productivity.

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you.

• Keep in mind that you'll loose about 20-30% performance when using a dedicated GPU externally like this - still, it should of course be a major upgrade depending on what the current built in GPU of your laptops is. So depending on your budget, a 2070 (Super) for example or even a 2080 (Super) should offer vastly improved performance. If you have a bit less budget to spare, you could go for a 1080 Ti or 1080.

• I do this, works great. The only catch is that Enscape seems to get hung up if both the eGPU and laptop graphics card are active at the same time (doesn't load past 5%). Disabling my laptop's graphics card in Device Manager fixes it though.

If you want to get around most of the eGPU performance hit, just make sure you're running it to an external monitor. The performance hit is also less dramatic compared to a standard desktop PC at higher resolutions like 4K.

• I do this, works great. The only catch is that Enscape seems to get hung up if both the eGPU and laptop graphics card are active at the same time (doesn't load past 5%). Disabling my laptop's graphics card in Device Manager fixes it though.

If you want to get around most of the eGPU performance hit, just make sure you're running it to an external monitor. The performance hit is also less dramatic compared to a standard desktop PC at higher resolutions like 4K.

Great feedback. Thanks!