VR Headset recommendations

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I couldnt replay to this topic but whatever.

My experience with the Quest 2 so far and Enscape was very stunning. Due to the very nice high resolution display everything looks crispy and if you got 4 - 8k textures it looks really stunning on a walkthrough especially with the wind option turned on.

The only problem is the performance you really need a decent PC for a really nice walkthrough. My RTX 2070 and i7 9700k are nowhere near enough. Id assume id have to hook up a few graphic cards together.

Are you trying it with the link cable, or virtual desktop?

I have an Oculus Go so Virtual Desktop / ALVR was my only option and I had decent results with my RTX 2070 and my old i7-2600K, but there was some lack and if I turned my head fast, part of my view was black for a fraction of a second. So the experience wasn't great. I am not sure if this is due to the CPU, GPU, the lack of the wireless link or Enscape itself.

• Zoom Its usually due to the lack of GPU and CPU combined. I will have to upgrade to 2 graphic cards as the resolution of the quest is high enough to require that much power. Else it might be a ALVR problem as i never used that one in all honesty besides that Virtual Desktop worked fine for me and the random black on fast turn it happens even in a normal walkthrough via PC its something to do with re rendering light I think

• Zoom Its usually due to the lack of GPU and CPU combined. I will have to upgrade to 2 graphic cards as the resolution of the quest is high enough to require that much power. Else it might be a ALVR problem as i never used that one in all honesty besides that Virtual Desktop worked fine for me and the random black on fast turn it happens even in a normal walkthrough via PC its something to do with re rendering light I think

Maybe a combination of Ryzen 5900x (or even 5600x) together with an RTX3080 would be sufficient.

• I'm not sure if you've selected a headset. In case you haven't, I wanted to throw my two cents in. We have used the vive, vive pro, vive cosmos, oculus quest and valve index. After some major hassles with the cord (physical limitations, trip hazard, etc), we decided to try the vive wireless. This was no simple feat, yet it has proved well worth the hassle. Between cpu and gpu upgrades, locating the lighthouses properly, getting stable wireless, making enough space in our office, my VR hour counter showed just over 200hrs. I know this sounds like an absurd amount of time to setup.. Full disclosure, a lot of that time was spent just testing the setup along with exploring the VR world. Being able to walk around without a leash is worth more than 10 times the money and hassle.

At the current time, we've managed to setup a 750 sqft space where our customers are able to walk around wirelessly, without stutters jitters, blue or black screens. In other words, incredible immersion, which leads to easy sales. We are a high end landscape company and since we setup the wireless VR, we are 15 for 16 in closing our clients. The biggest positive on this front, most of our customers have agreed to the project as designed at more than double their stated budget. We don't even have to ask, it is simple. Our customers love the VR so much, they ask us when we can start.

I know this seems like I veered off course, maybe I did. But we have been so happy with our results, I just had to share our experience. I Hope Enscape will continue to improve this awesome software.

Our current setup is a Ryzen 5800x, 32GB ram, rtx 3090 and vive pro wireless.

I hope this helps!!

P.s. one of the unintended consequences.. we had to face our own designs and come to terms with our own flaws. Thankfully, we review thoroughly before presentation!

• Did you try the Quest 2 Wireless with Virtual Desktop? If yes, how does it compare?

• Hi Zoom,

I haven't tried that one yet. Do you have any experience with it? I'm planning to check out the reverb g2, the pimax and the quest 2 as well. I've been going through them one at a time to see how I like them.

Did you already check out the G2, pimax or Quest 2? We're looking to upgrade and I'm a bit hesitant as I'm getting somewhat mixed reports from the G2 (which I originally chose to be purchased). Do have any experience with either one of the three?

• Did you already check out the G2, pimax or Quest 2? We're looking to upgrade and I'm a bit hesitant as I'm getting somewhat mixed reports from the G2 (which I originally chose to be purchased). Do have any experience with either one of the three?

I haven't had a chance to yet. I don't know if I can chalk it up to our marketing or our VR setup, but we have been so busy over the last few months that I haven't had a chance to test anything else yet.

My understanding is the G2 would be a great choice of these three for seated or small room-scale. if you want wireless, the Quest 2 would be best of those three.

At the end of the day, I don't think most customers would even see a difference between one or the other, even if you had two side by side for them to compare. I think a stable and setup is most important. I've found that any skips, stutters or blackouts in the headset are the quickest way to get sick and end a presentation abruptly. As long as you have smooth tracking and a stable image, it almost doesn't matter which headset you go with

• Did you already check out the G2, pimax or Quest 2? We're looking to upgrade and I'm a bit hesitant as I'm getting somewhat mixed reports from the G2 (which I originally chose to be purchased). Do have any experience with either one of the three?

Hey Matthias,

I finally took some time to get the Quest 2 and get it up and running. I've found there are two ways to use it. One is the traditional method of using Virtual Desktop and the other is a new "experimental" feature on the software. It's called "Air Link." Both will work via your WiFi, so it's important to have a strong and fast WiFi connection. It seems to me that the Virtual Desktop route works smoother overall, where the Air Link is a bit more laggy and stutters. Given the choice, I'm staying with the Vive Pro. Better headset overall, doesn't stutter and the tracking is better. There's a lot less screen door effect in the Quest 2, but the performance and comfort of the Vive Pro outweigh that out very easily.

• Newbie here. Just bought the Quest 2 and wondering if there is a string somewhere that explains in detail how to set it up properly? I have tried and looked online and must not be doing something right. I thought I set it up correctly according to some online instructions I saw, but every time I click the Headset button in Enscape it just says its is looking for the Headset...

• Newbie here. Just bought the Quest 2 and wondering if there is a string somewhere that explains in detail how to set it up properly? I have tried and looked online and must not be doing something right. I thought I set it up correctly according to some online instructions I saw, but every time I click the Headset button in Enscape it just says its is looking for the Headset...

Even though both Oculus Quest and Quest 2 are designed to work wirelessly for many uses you still need an Oculus Link cable or equivalent cable to connect to the computer hardware actually running Enscape. Once you are tethered you may like to use the Enscape EXE file option. In my experience, the EXE file offers a perceived better performance, but you may experience otherwise. It is a bit of a trial and error process.

If you already have a Link or equivalent cable then make sure you install the latest firmware/updates in both your headset and pc/workstation Oculus software. The issues I have personally experienced have been resolved after performing basic updates to the hardware and software.

I hope you find this helpful and have a chance to enjoy using your Quest 2 and Enscape. It is quite a unique experience.

• Even though both Oculus Quest and Quest 2 are designed to work wirelessly for many uses you still need an Oculus Link cable or equivalent cable to connect to the computer hardware actually running Enscape. Once you are tethered you may like to use the Enscape EXE file option. In my experience, the EXE file offers a perceived better performance, but you may experience otherwise. It is a bit of a trial and error process.

You can now run Oculus Quest 2 entirely wirelessly using Airlink, either within the Enscape editor or with a standalone EXE