A few more general questions

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hello,

1) any chance for Enscape to support proxies for Rhino? We use this feature a lot in the Octane Plugin to create forests behind or around scenes as well as cars and big cities.

2) has your team been seeing many issues with Multi-GPU rigs? We have 4 - Nvidia GTX1080s on one of our machines is why I ask.

3) In addition to the MP4 output for videos, do you also support uncompressed AVI? The reason I ask is that we ALWAYS bring our animations into either After Effects OR Hit Film to create the final video to do any necessary color grading and VFX work. We generally like to keep things fully uncompressed until creating the final video output, that way there's no loss during the work process.

4) will Enscape also export an animation as traditional animation frames (single rendered images) ? This can be very helpful during video compositing. If not, do you have plans to add this in a future release?

Thank you,

Ryan

• For your question #2 : we have two machines with multiple GPU's but haven't seen any problems.

However, Enscape will only use one card (unless I'm mistaken). It runs unbelievably fast on a GTX 1080ti so I would probably not worry about that.

• Hi Bendbox

Regarding proxies in Rhino: Is there an industry standard way for proxies we can adapt? Do you have an example project you can send to us?

Regarding 3 and 4, Enscape supports only compressed MP4 video output at the moment. Of course we would like to support additional formats, but it isn't scheduled yet.

• Bendbox You can use Rhino blocks, that works. I'm not sure how the blocks are intern handled.

If you try to keep the Rhino display light, than there is a trick - set the objects in the block per _SetObjectDisplayMode in a mode you like. A friend told me that he created an own display mode where objects are invisible, but lines are still visible and in the blocks he create a representation of the objects per a few lines. So you can place dozen of trees and you see a few lines at the viewport only.

Simon Weinberger Are blocks handled as instances at the Enscape VR?

Proxies - Vray for Rhino allow to write objects as vrmesh to the disk and the original object is converted to a proxy. Also there is a command to load vrmeshes as proxy to the scene. I don't know so much about proxies, because I don't needed them in the past, but could be Rhino files be used as proxies too? So, it would be easy to edit the materials at this proxy files.

• Pieter Thank you for the info on Multi GPU rigs, that puts me at ease.

Micha Good to know about the blocks -- and your trick sounds awesome. Indeed, my main concern is Rhino bogging down due to so much geometry in the viewport, which is why I use Proxies in Octane so often. I'll post an example for Simon below. Your trick sounds great, I'll have to give that a shot.

Simon Weinberger Hi Simon, thank your for the information. So as for an industry standard, I've seen most plugins handle these in two ways in Rhino. The first way is that a proxy will be shown in the viewport as a GREATLY simplified representation of the object so as to cut down on how much is showing in the viewport. The second way is for a simple bounding box to be shown. In EITHER case, the file is pulled from a separate file at render time. As Micha mentioned the great thing about keeping the proxies in Rhino is for changing materials in the source file.

However, if the Enscape team were to build a scattering tool within Enscape where users could populate scenes with proxies via a user selected Geometry created in the host program that would be pretty awesome, and maybe be easier for the Enscape Team to create across all plugins??? If this type of thing were done then somehow we'd need to be able to save the scattering information within that specific project file as clients always make changes, come back months later for additional work, etc. . . .

Here is an example of how I've mentioned Rhino handles proxies in Octane Render -- a simple bounding box is created which allows you to link an external file to the bounding box. Once "Render" is initiated, then the external file is pulled in at render time as you can see in the second image below. This is incredibly helpful at keeping the Rhino viewport from becoming bogged down. Even this small amount of detailed trees in the scene below will make the Rhino viewport to become almost unresponsive.

If you need any further information Simon please let me know. I'm happy to send you some trees if you don't have any, but I don't know if sending the actual scene below will help as all you'd have would be boxes. However, if you feel it would, I'm happy to send you the scene below.

[Blocked Image: https://s18.postimg.org/drt37hrq1/Proxies.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://s18.postimg.org/n0v9h6dc9/Render_Proxy.jpg]

• If you are using blocks, the geometry is only once in memory and several instances of this geometry are rendered.

I can see from your screenshots that other render plugins have some self-made solution for proxies. I guess we must do so also. I'm not sure whether it's possible to read rhino files which are not opened, so I can't say for sure. We have to perform some research before we make a move towards the first proxy file format.

• Simon

I'd be great if Enscape had a more global solution for proxies that would also open the possibility of linking in fbx (or another external format). Especially so for Revit, so we can have access to more props / vegetation etc.

If .fbx was supported, we would be able to tap into existing model libraries (evermotion, model+model, 3dsky, ...). I'm sure we would see a huge jump in quality for Revit renders. Today, we're limited to native Revit geometry but Revit was never designed to model to the detaillevel necessary for quality renders.

• Bendbox I have an idea - could the McNeel team not add a proxy feature for linked blocks? I could imagine to get a little flag option at the block manger to enable a proxy mode for linked blocks. In this case the bounding box or something could be shown at the viewport and the full files are loaded during rendering only. What do you think?

• Micha I think that is a terrific idea! Absolutely terrific.

Also, that might allow us the added benefit in Rhino6, of using Grasshopper for scattering the blocks to create widespread vegetation. Not sure if Enscape would use the Grasshopper data/definitions though, but perhaps it could . . .