Posts by Hume

I have found when adding a .mp4, .avi, or .mov file Enscape does not support video alpha channels or transparency, so thus far I have not found a good way to get rid of a background in a video to create fire. Does anyone have a work around?

This could be a problem, yes. Will still work for enclosed fireplaces in most cases, but not open fire then. I have not tried this yet, but does GIFS work too? Because then it will work if you just convert a movie file to GIF, according to my own knowledge now, have not tried yet. Because obviously PNG works perfect, but we need a moving picture, just acting like a PNG.

I have the latest preview for SketchUp but cannot locate a second tab on top (Only "Type") can you please post a screenshot so I can find it?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, sure. First create a Material in Sketchup. Then go to Enscape materials, add a texture (any image you got does not matter) to it, where I marked "1". Then suddenly you will get a new tab where I marked "2", then go there, and change the texture there to a video file.

I always make my ceilings double, it automatically work for first story since you have a slab on top anyway, but for single story or first story (top floor) I make the ceiling with one plane, but then depending on the roof, if it's flat roof, it works the same as with a slab, so no problem, if it's a sloped roof a single plane for ceiling, and the roof itself over it, also fixes this issue. Otherwise, like what was said already, if you are just going to do a interior shot, no outside, then just block it off on the outside yes.

I have not made a fire yet, but I am already very confident Animated Textures will work in order to do this. You must get a clip of a fire/ flames, try YouTube even. Then go create a texture in Sketchup, go to Enscape materials on that texture, then on top you should see a second tab, where you can then import a video file, then just put this texture on a plane, maybe even make the plane it's own group for easy handling, then put it where needed.

I just would have loved if the Animated Textures (and water/ wind) could have kept playing even when keeping the camera (view) stationary. But it's not a train smash.

Hello,

Could we maybe get a little arrow or some kind of indicator in which direction an asset is facing. Things like mirrors and cupboards is sometimes a little confusing, and having to run Enscape just to see if it's facing the correct direction breaks the work flow a little. Or is there a way to tell which way it's facing?

Thanks!

Hello,

Just an idea, what about having a Render Panorama/ for Cardboard, in a inverse manner as an option? Right now it does exactly what it needs to do, to render a panorama. Meaning render 360 from a central point around. But how about we could have a central point it renders around instead, also? This could be nice for sending a link to someone, they open it on their phone, and could move their phone, or more importantly, scroll with their finger around a house, being able to zoom in where they like around it etc. Or is that what the video render is for anyway? Because I know with a video you can control the movement also on your phone, but it starts of playing automatically and having to explain that to people is a little nuisance, and frankly, many people are not very tech savvy.

Would this be something to look in to?

I'm afraid, while I can say that Steam VR headsets should be working with Enscape, we did not have the chance to test those mentioned headsets, yet at least. This means we cannot 100% guarantee that it will work, but perhaps you will be able to order from a store with a decent return policy if you want to give it a try. :)

Thanks for your reply! I suspect it will work, since it also seem to use Steam VR as the base. Which should translate fine. However, if I do test it, I will let you guys know if it works or not.

Hello,

Just a quick question, I'm looking into other headsets for VR, and one is the Pimax headsets. For example the 5K PLUS VR Headset, or Vision 8K, but for that I'd definitely need to upgrade my graphics card too, but that is besides the point. It seems it also uses Steam VR, at least as a base. Will this be compatible with Enscape VR? I'm still doing research but thought I'd ask here in the meantime to start getting bases covered.

Thank you for any assistance!

In what program are you working? Sketchup?

You can modify the 'placeholder' geometry, but that does not affect the rendered object. Other then scaling, you can't really modify enscape assets. (there is a workaround by manipulating files in your directories, but it's complicated).

Ah, thanks. And yes, Sketchup. That's too bad though, as I know assets normally appear as only one geometry, yet the curtains acted like self made objects, so I figured, this makes sense, as curtains with railings don't only come in one size/ length. Even though it worked perfectly in Sketchup, it does not update to Enscape.

Thanks for the reply!

Hello,

I know it's easy to change the size of assets, but I added curtains to a wider doorway, so now I do not just want to stretch the whole asset. I realised, hey, you can double click it and move around parts of the asset. Which works fine in the workflow, yet has no effect in Enscape. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Hi Hume

thanks for your report! We'll investigate that now. Are there a lot of light sources in your scene?

Not too many. I am working with a client doing a room at a time with what they want in it. So far It is just a lounge, undercover patio and a hallway that has lights. And obviously the sunlight. Mind you, this client use many strip lights, if I can put it like that. Which make the light sources in each room a bit more heavy than usual. I just use the Enscape Linear lights to emulate this. Which works great for it. I just wish you could pull the linear light out further, as it does not always go far enough, so I'd have to use two to make up for the length. Otherwise I suppose I could just use a material and let it glow, which I do too, but those lights gives a nicer effect wherever it makes more sense using them compared to glowing material.

But for what it's worth, shadows in each area seem to go mostly one direction, obviously in relation to where the lights are, and not all over the place, which would make rendering more tedious, not to mention look unrealistic. I will keep up to date as I go along and notice anything, just for now I've noticed a huge difference in render speed when putting wind to 0%. Which should make complete sense, if it was for video though.

This is what i have done for the moment, set the wind speed to 0%. But I think that Enscape probably want to know if we have problems with the new Enscape 2.8 version. And furthermore I would like to play with wind settings because now we have the opportunity to do it. For the moment i will have to wait to do it.

Thanks for your answer!

This is what i have done for the moment, set the wind speed to 0%. But I think that Enscape probably want to know if we have problems with the new Enscape 2.8 version. And furthermore I would like to play with wind settings because now we have the opportunity to do it. For the moment i will have to wait to do it.

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, you are right. It's a feature now so would be nice to have it work correctly.

At a minimum the thumbnails local would be very helpful with the workflow and "waiting" to see your choices. Not sure I would want the whole asset library loaded on my computer (maybe it keeps the ones used within the last xx days, so the more frequently used ones are quicker to access)?

This at the least yes!

Hello,

I have noticed since the last update (2.8.0) that rendering takes much longer now. Specially when rendering panoramas (for cardboard). It now seems to take me what I estimate about 20 minutes to render, where as before it took less than 10 minutes. (Also estimate).

This only started since the last update, and since I just replied to somebody about moving vegetation in the wind, I'm suddenly wondering, is this maybe what's causing it? As that would explain it. However, if that is the cause, it should not be necessary to have wind having an effect when rendering anything other than videos or doing VR as standalone etc. Or what? My guess is the leafs might be changing frames as each frame is being rendered? Which to me would not make sense for a panorama. Other than that I don't know. Just know it takes very much longer now to render compared to before the update. So I thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Hello,

Have you tried just setting the wind speed to 0%? Moving grass and trees is a nice touch, but not all that important, as in, people will not miss it if it's not there. And when it is there, (I have not yet had a presentation with clients since this was implemented though), I don't think people will really pay much attention to it. Things like this I have realized over there years are things we as the designers/ artists appreciate, and the every day person would hardly take any notice of, if at all. For me things like moving fire and specially moving/ running water (waterfall effect) would be a big deal.

I know this is not a solution, but it's what I would do if I experience the same problem, at least for in the mean time. I've also noticed that not all vegetation get's affected by wind, I suppose, as of yet.

Thanks for the reply!

There is already some company who is doing this, over the web. (Just not at all sure what they are using to do it. I think they created their own system.) It is all just 360 panoramas. Only in one instance though. So you could point to somewhere and "jump" to it. Would be amazing if or when Enscape could implement something similar. And I did not mean having a standalone exe or apk on a phone, I meant in keeping with the link method. Just somehow multiple links (think points where you rendered the 360 from) in one. Not sure how to do something like this. Maybe for starters have a little menu where you could teleport between links, and the creator/ artist, obviously name the links like "kitchen", "lounge" etc. My idea is just to go beyond such a menu and just point at other points in real time. Even if it has to load a little.

But anyway, thanks again for the reply!