Posts by Herbo

Slightly off topic- how do you like Quixel compared to other options like Substance?

Incredible rendering by the way :thumbsup:

Thank you so much! i'm glad you liked it :-)

I've only played a little with substance designer before, and found it very powerful for texture painting 3d meshed directly. it really handles UV's in a great way (and can handle multiple UV's in a model too). I found though, that I really did not need to paint that many complete 3d models this way, and therefore cancelled my subscription. I then used the free alternative Armor paint a little, and its a great substitute! It is of course not as powerful as substance (especially bump-painting can be a bit tricky), but for most uses it gets the job done! it is worth checking out :-)

But now, i must admit that I almost exclusively uses Quixel Mixer for everything. It is by no means as strong as substance when it comes to painting textures directly on 3d meshes (but it CAN do it now! only one UV though), but for creating generic textures it really does not get much better/easier. and as this is what I need 90 percent of the time, it is the package i prefer. The megascans assets are fantastic, and the way you can seamlessly blend them together to whatever you need is just mindblowing :-) the library is growing rapidly, and it is not often that i find i'm missing something now.

And Mixer has been evolving at a rapid pace (almost comparable to enscape), and new features are added constantly. I dont think it will take that much time to close the gab to substance completely :-)

I completely get that the entire person is 3d scanned, and everything is baked in the same mesh :-) But I too would love to see some more "generic" models. if the doctors did not have those special Equipments, they would also easily fit in scenes with laboratories and production :-) but i know, this is not necessarily something you control, as your models a probably from axyz or renderpeople (or somewhere else?), right? :-)

wow how did you do the rain, smoke, fog and haze directly in escape? Did you assign for example a rain bump texture to a surface with transparency? Cheers!

- The rain is done by making a bunch of regular planes standing on the ground, distributed evenly around. I've played alot with the texture itself, as you have to get the transparency, the scale and the amount of droplets right here. transparency is especially important, as it will not work to add this in the enscape material editor. this makes wrong effect. instead it should be set to the right amount in the png itself. i've also added some inpact splatter in the bottom, to emphasize the rain hitting the ground. make sure this is not making a "straight line" in the bottom of the texture, as this will show up in the renders.

The Haze around lightsources and other places are made in a similar fashion. I've made a Png with all the right settings, and then added the texture to a plane that is places in the model. here is an example from the streetlights:

The smoke effects are made in the exact same way :-)

The overall fog in the image is made as a combination of the native Enscape fog, a big png and some clever placements of lightsources :-) here you'll have to experiment! I hope this helps :-)

I just wanted to share a couple of cuts from the original rendering, and some shots of the sketchup-model, to show the setup... which is mostly done with linked models, as you can see :-)

Great Job on the new preview! I'm really impressed with the parallax mapping, the effect is really good! how are you planning the final implementation? as a seperate input in the material, so you can still put a bumb/normal map on top of it? This would be awesome, as some of the finer details of materials gets lost otherwise :-)

but, awesome new feature none the less!! And I totally get why you went with parallax occlusion over tessellation. It would be a nightmare to handle, when you cant control the incoming geometry. I will miss the fully 3d edges of real displacement, but i get why it is like that :-)

Great as always, Herbo!

Thank you so much :-) I'm glad you liked it!

Incredible! Great to see what can be achieved provided the right content - must have been a ton of work. Especially loving the atmospheric lighting :thumbup:

Thank you :-) Enscape is an incredible tool, and it is quickly closing the gab to traditional offline renders, especially when you push it to the edge :-) I would love to see support for transparency when you add animated textures to the engine. that way we could make animated rain, smoke and fire as well :-)

WOW

Thank you! :-)

Impressive!

This looks absolutely brilliant!

Thank you Gemma!! :-)

You have done everything I intend to do, Herbo.

^^ congratulations on your job well done

Haha, I'm sorry i beat you to it then ;-) I'm glad you liked it though! I would still love to see your take on it :-)

Hi All

This is my newest personal project. I've been wanting to try out a bunch of stuff for a long time, and i figured that a Cyberpunk scene would be the perfect setting for it! My goal was to create as many effects as possible directly inside of enscape, and that is exactly what I did. Rain, smoke, fog an haze is all done directly in enscape, and not added in post. all that has been done in photoshop is a small amount of color grading.
    I wanted a very specific atmosphere and light in the scenes, and i'm really impressed at how well enscape has handled it!

models are found various places, and the scene is composed and setup myself. most of the textures, including the street are done using quixel mixer.

I hope you like it :-)

Enjoy! :-)

These renders are absolutely stunning. Would you mind if I ask how you get these marble panels to look slightly different from each other? Thank you!

thanks! They are very old by now (almost 3 years), so alot has happened with the software since then :-) The slightly different marble panels are simply done by having 3 different textures with slightly different values, and those are mapped on 3 different wall elements. A great way to do this on larger areas is by using the "random selection" plugin for sketchup. you can then model your whole model with the same components all over, and when it gets time to render it, just select all the same components, use random selection, and make a bunch of them unique and then paint them with different textures :-) a good tip is to keep the original set of components saved for later alterations to the design ( i usually just copy the original set to 50 meters underground). then it is easy to bring it back, make adjustments, and then quickly repeat the steps from before when ready :-)

I'm Still not sure I see the problem. Isn't the whole point that you want your horizon line to go down in the final image, as you add more sky? i've done tonnes of images with the same goal. This is exactly what two point perspective allows, as it keeps all perspective lines the same as you pan your image up and down... also the horisontals ;-) it is basically a tilt shift lens :-) You can then just change the shape of your enscape window to get a different aspect ratio if you desire that. see attached examples:

horisontal image, no shift:

horisontal image, shifted up:

Vertical image, no shift:

Vertical image, shifted up:

Overlay of the last two images to show perspective lines are exactly the same!:

I just found some of my old test animation shots from two years ago, and put them together in this little video:

https://youtu.be/0XBYCEwJ53A

All the renderings are made with an old version of enscape (2.3?), and were only made for testing stuff for my final movie. therefore, they are not very well produced. but I still thought it might be fun for You to see it :-) Hopefully all the new features of enscape will bring a lot of enhancements to the final movie, when I finally get around to make it :-)

This is a work with a lot of passion, any updates Herbo ?

Thank You very much!! It's actually funny that you ask, as I just opened the model yesterday to try out a minor tweak (a new floor material). So the project is not forgotten! But as i became af father of two twin girls a year ago, the time for personal projects has almost disappeared. I'm hoping i'll get back to it at some point as I REALLY want to finish it up, and make a high quality video with it :-)

I'm really impressed with your new images!! they look magnitudes better than the first ones. great job! The new color tone of the renders are MUCH nicer, and much more pleasing to look at. And the fact that you have removed the background all together is a good move. it is not realistic per say, but at least there is not a background element that looks straight up bad now :-)

the camera work seems much more dedicated, and you really show off your model well now. in the first images you had no idea what the house looked like, but now you suddenly see how it all fits together. from here you could easily add some detail shots of certain elements, because the overall scene has been established.

and again, your modelling is great! fantastic level of detail, and it is consistent throughout.

so, congrats on the progress! rendering isnt that hard, it just takes some thought and dedication :-) And a great model deserves to be showcased with some love :-)

I just want to say that we see this issue from time to time as well. When starting Enscape, some textures are randomly replaced with something else...for example some small texture from a linked file in the model.

We have tried renaming the materials and texutes involved, but with no luck. Only an manual relink will do the trick, but is does not solve the problem the next time you Launch Enscape.

The modelling looks to be quite good, so thats not the "problem". but rendering is so much more than just modelling.

I think the issue is, that you expect to see photorealism from a scene that has not:

A: ... been completed. the thing about rendering is, that if just one thing looks off, the whole illusion falls apart. and in your images a bunch of stuff looks off. mostly the lack of any surroundings and imperfections. try to add some trees, remove the backdrop (replace it with the "Clear" preset), and introduce some "noise" to the building. the thing about the real world is, that it is not perfect, and right now the building looks too clean. try to use much larger textures... not in resolution, but real world scale. the plaster on the wall has a clear repetitiveness, and finding a texture that covers a larger area would help alot.... the same goes for the other textures. and make sure that all your textures work together as well. do they have the same overall colour tone and albedo?.. and that leads to:

B: ... been colour corrected: the colors and lighting is probably the most important factor in creating moody and believable renderings. as mentioned before, you have to make sure that all the textures are colour corrected, and has a believable albedo. right now that seems to not be the case. you have some very strong colours in the scene, and they are all over the spectrum. great renders have a very limited and well balanced number of colours. i think you could come a long way by simply desaturating your scene a lot.

the lighting itself is important too. right now it seems like you are using a random sun position and a random exposure. try experimenting with this, and see how big an impact it has on the whole image! a sunset will draw the colours of the scene in completely different ways than a midday shot. you should always be aware of this, and how it plays in with your vision for the scene. and speaking about vision:

C: ... been shot with purpose: camera angles and compositions are hugely important in making an image pleasing to look at. there are a bunch of theories and rules you could look into, and learning from painters and photographers can be very effective. but just giving some minimal thought to how you present your building will really bring the realism up alot! what is the main focus of the image, and how can you show that best?

our brains are so used to seeing images shot with real world cameras, and trying to mimic how you would shoot a real high quality photo is a great way to achieve even more realism. I tend to often use a narrow field of view, as I think it calms the image down, and makes it look like it was shot with a dslr with a high end zoom lens. perspective lines are less pronounced and the "fish eye" effect is greatly reduced. So, if possible, try to step back a couple of meters (or more!), and zoom in.

adding DOF effects for renders where it makes sense (close ups, isolating certain objects), also really helps the realism along.

I hope this helps a bit :-)

So how are you using the Asset Library?

A lot more than I anticipated to start with, I must admit :-) It is a really easy way to dress up scenes in no time! the overall quality of the assets is great, and works for everything but the most detailed, specific views.

one big wish i would love to see is custom colours for a number of assets. i often find myself NOT choosing a certain asset, simply because it is bright yellow or something. especially things like sofas, chairs and cars... an option to choose a grey or white version would make most of the 10x times more useful!

Are you using the search bar, categories or tags?

I would love to, but unfortunately i´ve found that searching is WAY to unreliable. I know i might be missing a ton of options if i seach, simply because the assets does not have the right associations. So instead i go though the whole list, and that takes time! I do, however, use the categories, which is a great way to narrow it down a bit.

Do you always know exactly what you are looking for?
    almost always... but it does happen that something catches your eye when looking through the list :-)

Is your asset browsing more likely to be focused on a style (e.g. 'wood'), a topic (e.g. 'chair') or related to the project context (e.g. 'construction')?
    it really depends on what stage i'm at... but mostly by topic (trees, chairs, beds...)

You guys are doing a great job on the library! and the custom import option is going to be a REAL game changer! ... if you add some colour options for some of the assets too, then we are golden :-)