Posts by Herbo

Having a grass feature in enscape is awesome, and it is definitely better than nothing :-) But i have to admit that I almost never use it, as it simply does not look realistic enough. I always end up using Skatter and custom grass models instead. it is a hassle, but I have to do it to get the quality I need :-)

I would love for this feature to get a real overhaul, so it could be more on par with what the competition has. Both Lumion and Twinmotion has some incredible looking grass systems in the latest releases :-)

So i just updated my transmutr app as it seem more stable. I tried the enscape proxy option. I see it makes two model 1) reference 2)full geo. What is the proper workflow to get this to work in enscape?

well, it depends on how you use transmutr :-) it makes two models, one is the "real" model with all the geometry, and the other is a model containing a proxy with a link to the first file :-) if you launch Transmutr straight from sketchup, in the file you want to import an asset into, and then choose proxy, it imports the proxy into your model, and automatically links it to the full geometry version. hope that makes sense.

I use Megascans on a regular basis, and uses transmutr to get them into sketchup. Transmutr has a direct link with quixel bridge, and can save models directly as enscape proxies. it is not exactly the same as having them go into the actual asset library, but it works very well!! all materials are set up correctly, and you can even tweak the poly count before importing.

This is not a good solution for all! The idea of a proxy is to keep the main model light and easy to handle. Having hundreds of components stored right in the model itself might severely hamper performance on large projects! If it is implemented, it should be something that can be turned on or off.

What COULD be usefull though, would be the ability to relocate all linked models into a new folder, and update the links to the new location. This way it would be MUCH easier to keep a whole project organized, and it would be easy to send all necessary files to others :-)

Hi! I have compared two types (normal and bump) and BUMP map looks more natural. So there no reason to make it normal map. BUT it is mutch more attractive to have real geometry (displace map) for realistic render!!! Is there a plan to work on it?

well, that is not true :-) It completely depends on the quality of the maps. a bad normal map will look worse than a good bump map. but the normal map has the POTENTIAL to be a lot better.

its a bit like a small keyboard vs. a grand piano: they will both sound bad if you dont know how to play, but IF you can play, there is a lot more notes on the grand piano ;-)

I just want to say thank you for implementing this feature! It is amazingly good, and we have already put it to good use, making plans and axo diagrams. This is a real game changer for architects, and it allows Enscape to be used for a whole new bunch of stuff. Exciting times :-)

Thank you MatthiasL , I found that single lights don't give me the realistic bounces a studio light would give. So I ended up building a physical model of a lamp and I used multiple lights inside of it, to have those extra light bounces I needed in order for the shadows to have a smooth transition. I also used a reflector to have color bleeding into the scene.

Hope this helps.

really great setup!! Impressive results :-)

So, just a quick heads up @ Herbo, thomasvick et al:

With 2.7 we've added improved scene texture handling, that'll on the one hand allow to work with resolutions up to 16k, however scale them down depending on their actual size in the scene. Which means very high resolutions are reserved only for large scale areas (like environments with satellite images as textures, or textures covering whole building facades). But if you're using high resolution images from a texture library for smaller areas, Enscape will automatically scale them down as much as possible without noticeable quality loss, so no manual work required. We also do an estimate which resolutions are going to fit into your gpu memory and do a more aggressive downscaling if you'd otherwise run out of memory.

Hope that'll be helpful for you guys, looking forward to your feedback :)

Thank you very much for the heads up :-) That sounds like a great solution! exactly what I imagined. Unfortunately all versions since 2.6.0 has been extremely unstable for us, and cant handle the big airport project we are working on. i've tried all official releases and all 2.7 previews, and enscape regularly crashes, and we cant export images in decent resolutions. I think it might be down to the whole RTX thing not being completely optimized for work with very large scenes.

So for now, we are stuck in an old version, but hopefully we will soon be able to update :-)

well, it really depends. If You create scenes which consume ALOT of memory, then the quadro will have an advantage. but, if the scenes can fit on both cards, the performance should be almost equal (as the cards are based on the same chip). if money is not a problem, then the quadro will be more future proof (due to the extra memory), but in daily work with normal scenes there should be no noticeable difference.

That sounds great :-) I dont know if You know about Designconnected.com. They provide some of the best (if not THE best) furniture and accessories models in the industry. I've been using them for quite some time... and one of the most awesome features of their site is the "Model Sets" part... in here there is curated collections of models that fits nicely together :-) This might be a nice inspiration for the asset library :-)

Well...you deserve it! :-D

How heavy is your model? How much time did it take you from start to finish? I would like to know more about your method of texturing complex models...that is what I always struggle with. Do you model everything in separate files and then copy/paste it in composition file? How do you set up your lights? I have so many questions... If you could make the whole start-to-finish "making of" tutorial that would be awsome! I think that everybody here would like to see it... If you want to become a master, you have to learn from the best! ;-)

Thank you! I would love to make a complete walk through of the work at some point :-) unfortunately time is limited, so i cant promise i'll get it done any time soon :-) But let me try to answer some of the questions:

I dont know the total time spend, but definitely more than i should have! I would say i spend 2-3 hours most days since I started around december 5th. with some basic sketches of the layout. this is one of the first "block outs" of the idea:

For texturing i use a couple of different methods. Sketchup is really bad at handling real UV maps as standard, so plugins are necessary to make it work :-) depending on the complexity of the task i use either:

1: Sketch-UV

2: Thru-Paint

3: WrapR (by far the most powerful, but also a bit complicated to learn if You are not used to UV's)

I rely Heavily on the Proxy function for sketchup, to setup my scenes without destroying sketchup and my machine :-) as much as possible is kept in seperate files. This includes the whole factory and all the mountains in this case :-) That way it was also easier for me to make changes to specific items, as the models were not as heavy. And it was MUCH faster to move items around the scene to get the compositions to work just right :-) :

(all the squares and spheres are part of the lighting for the scene)

I also spend a lot of time tweaking test renders with comments and sketching. this is an example of how I make "notes" for myself to work from:

I hope that can clarify some of the things :-)

That part is the first part that arouse my curiosity in the whole model. Therefore your explanation make me happy, thanks!

I'm glad you could use it! :-)

Wow! This is fantastic work. Well done.
    Was there a lot of post processing required?

Thank you very much! yes, this time i spend a lot more time in post than usual. This is due to the very specific lighting and colors i wanted to achieve. with that said, everything in the scene is 3d, and nothing was added in in photoshop (except the smoke and some details in the sky). it is all color grading and adjustments :-)

I might share some insight of the photoshop work later :-) but I can say that i had to render the images with multiple lighting setups and exposures, and then merge them together to get the feel I wanted :-) at least 4 base renders for was made for each image.

Hello Herbo!

I read this forum for a wile, but I had never leave a comment, actualy, I have just posted my first post a couple of days ago...but man...I just can't ignore this one! First of all, I can't see how could anyone beat you in this contest. Despite the fact that I have seen many beautifull renders and good ideas so far, you just have it all. This is perfection in every posible way - idea, composition, textures, models, atmosphere, post work...and that sarcastic story after all. You have my honest appreciation for everything you have done! Please, share as many "making off-s" as you can...modeling, mapping, tools and extensions used...I want to learn it!

You already have that RTX...the rest of us will fight for the rest. 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Thank you SO much! i'm very honoured, and very warmed by your comment. It seems that none of the work and ideas was lost on you, and that makes me very happy :-) i'll try and share as many tips and tricks as i can :-) Happy New Year!

best work around !

wonder about that mountains , 3d or photoshop ?

Thank you very much :-) i'm glad you like it!
    Everything in the scene is 3d, including the mountains :-) They were basically made the same way as the snow i showed further up:

first i found a suitable heightmap, and reduced the image size to roughly 300x300. otherwise it gets WAY to heavy for the program to handle:

then I imported it to sketchup and used the plugin "mesh from bitmap":

resulting in:

I found a heightmap that came with a basic albedo texture as well, that i then enhanced in photoshop. I painted that texture over my new geometry, resulting in what you see in the renders :-) hope that helps!

Thank you very much :-) yep, there has been quite a lot of modelling (and lighting!), but it has been fun :-) Here is an example of how I made the elf in the snow:

i found a great elf model, that i imported via Transmutr. i made both a high poly version for the render, and a low poly for cloth simulation. I had to redo all the textures, as the model came with "baked" lighting, and therefore did not work with my custom lighting setup. i also chanced the hue of the elf for my renders.

I then used the low poly version to prepare the drape (the cloth is prepared with a custom "santa's helper" logo):

and then ran the cloth simulation:

I used quixel mixer to prepare a custom snow material with the right footprints and tracks to match the elf and sled:

I then used the generated displacement map to create geometry from, using a plugin called "bitmap to mesh":

resulting in:

and this matched the elf and sled perfectly:

i then started to create the assets that had to go on the sled, including photo scanned boxes and sacks, and a custom "homeless" sign:

I hope you like it :-) let me know if You want to se more "making of" - stuff :-)

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year from SANTA CORP.

The Holiday season of 2019 has come to an end, and it has been another great year for SANTA CORP, the world leader in seasonal toy production and distribution.

Our goals to further optimize and robotize production has been met, and although that has meant laying off most Elfs, we truly believe this will benefit growth and revenue!

We have also made great strides to lower material costs, by introducing new exciting chemicals and plastics. Most of them are not even that toxic! True, a couple of reindeers might have had allergic, fatal reactions, but we are (almost) sure that children will be fine.

The ongoing expansion of the toy factory has also been going as planned, with the new chemical waste system finally in operation. This new, state of the art system, safely transfers toxic waste away from the factory, and out into the empty north pole ice, where no one (except reindeers and polar bears) is harmed.

The new, drone-based gift distribution system has taken over from the old fashioned “Reindeer- sleigh” -System this year. Our new drone, “SLEIGH-BOT 5000”, is more energy efficient, faster and more reliable than Rain deer… and it even looks cool!

All in all, it has been a great year, and are sure that investors and costumers alike will be thrilled to know that SANTA CORP. remains the number one Toy factory in the world!

Merry Christmas

CEO, Claus

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is my entry for the #EnscapeUnwrapped competition. i've taken a quite different approach, and have told the story of a modern, corporate Santa's toy factory... Gone are the cute elfs and reindeer, and in comes hardcore industry, producing toys for the 2 billion children of the world :-) it is a humorous comment on the excessive consumption and spending of the season :-)

A LOT of work has gone into the modelling and planing of the scene. many ideas have been tried, and many sketches of layouts and designs have been produced. Some models are found online, but they are all heavily modified to fit with the overall scheme. i've used several new (for me) techniques, including custom quixel mixer materials, clothworks simulations and displacement modelling.

More information on the process and small insights in techniques can be found further down in this thread:

Santa Corp. #enscapeunwrapped :-)

I hope You all had a fantastic Christmas and a great new year, and i'm looking forward to a new year with lots of Enscaping and inspiration from You all :-)

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year from SANTA CORP.

The Holiday season of 2019 has come to an end, and it has been another great year for SANTA CORP, the world leader in seasonal toy production and distribution.

Our goals to further optimize and robotize production has been met, and although that has meant laying off most Elfs, we truly believe this will benefit growth and revenue!

We have also made great strides to lower material costs, by introducing new exciting chemicals and plastics. Most of them are not even that toxic! True, a couple of reindeers might have had allergic, fatal reactions, but we are (almost) sure that children will be fine.

The ongoing expansion of the toy factory has also been going as planned, with the new chemical waste system finally in operation. This new, state of the art system, safely transfers toxic waste away from the factory, and out into the empty north pole ice, where no one (except reindeers and polar bears) is harmed.

The new, drone-based gift distribution system has taken over from the old fashioned “Reindeer- sleigh” -System this year. Our new drone, “SLEIGH-BOT 5000”, is more energy efficient, faster and more reliable than Reindeer… and it even looks cool!

All in all, it has been a great year, and we are sure that investors and costumers alike will be thrilled to know that SANTA CORP. remains the number one Toy factory in the world!

Merry Christmas

CEO, Claus

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is my entry for the #EnscapeUnwrapped competition. i've taken a quite different approach, and have told the story of a modern, corporate Santa's toy factory... Gone are the cute elfs and reindeer, and in comes hardcore industry, producing toys for the 2 billion children of the world :-) it is a humorous comment on the excessive consumption and spending of the season :-)

A LOT of work has gone into the modelling and planing of the scene. many ideas have been tried, and many sketches of layouts and designs have been produced. Some models are found online, but they are all heavily modified to fit with the overall scheme. i've used several new (for me) techniques, including custom quixel mixer materials, clothworks simulations and displacement modelling.

I might share some images from the process further down in the thread :-)

I hope You all had a fantastic Christmas and a great new year, and i'm looking forward to a new year with lots of Enscaping and inspiration from You all :-)

This time I tried to work on a socializing scene between friends and family.

as I always say Family is everything :love:

Merry Christmas.

Skt and Ens 2.6.1

Images looks good, but personally I would MUCH rather have seen what you could have made if you had spend ALL that time making one, truly unique, personal rendering, instead of 10 more or less random scenes with 3-4 random camera angels :-) I alway favour quality over quantity :-) With that said, i wish you the best of luck, and a merry Christmas :-)