Posts by Herbo

I want to keep the visual Settings button in the menu so that I can still conditional visual Settings without turning on render

I agree! We often work on models that takes 5-10 minutes to load into enscape. If everything goes into the enscape window, it will take ages to do stuff! What if enscape keeps crashing on startup, and i want to reduce the render quality or turn RTX off (something we often have to do)?

my suggestion would be to be able to start the enscape window WITHOUT starting the whole export process. Instead have a big "play" button or something in the empty enscape window that lets you export the scene when you are ready.

But other than that, it looks promising! i really like the new graphics. it looks much more mature and professional. What about the video editor? it seems counter intuitive that i still have to press a button in the old menu (or know the shortcut) in order to start it. shouldn't it be in the enscape window as well?

This one is the best

well, from at technical standpoint its really not that great ;-) its very low resolution, and bump/normal maps and, more importantly, a reflection map are missing.

but it might work okay from a distance :-)

Agree! This would be extremely useful! :-)

One simple thing that I really miss on an almost everyday basis, is the ability to adjust the brightness of textures to BOTH darker and lighter. Right now the textures are set to 100% brightness as default, making it impossible to lighten the textures further. Especially for reflection textures this is really annoying, as this would be a very effective way ro adjust reflection strength when a map is applied. Would it be possible to start the slider in the middle, so textures can be adjusted in both directions?

You do actually have a lot of control over that :-) You could look at the "sun brightness" setting under the atmosphere tap, along with the shadow sharpness. another good trick i often use is to increase the cloud density, and move the clouds to a position where they partly blocks out the sun. this actually gives you quite fine control over the amount of shadows in the scene!
    You could also take full control, and turn the sun off completely and rebuilding the lighting artificially. here is a great tutorial for interior lighting, made by Vlad Moldovan:

Here are some more renders:

These projects were collaborations between Vilhelm Lauritzen and Nord Architects:

and this project is just Vilhelm Lauritzen Arkitekter:

Here are a bunch of renders from me :-) Some of them you have seen before, some are new (as in, not shared here before, hehe). Some of them are personal projects, and some are made for Vilhelm Lauritsen Arkitekter.

Lets start with these:

Name: Lasse Herbo Madsen

company: Vilhelm Lauritsen Arkitekter

Hi Herbo, great job

Could you share the SketchUp file with us?

Thank you

Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it

Unfortunately I can't share the file with you for several reasons:

1. the grass models are paid models that I can not redistribute (they are from Vizpark)

2. the scene is made with skatter, meaning that the grass models are linked in, and therefore not part of the actual scene.

I hope you understand

Slightly off topic- how do you like Quixel compared to other options like Substance?

Incredible rendering by the way :thumbsup:

Thank you so much! i'm glad you liked it :-)

I've only played a little with substance designer before, and found it very powerful for texture painting 3d meshed directly. it really handles UV's in a great way (and can handle multiple UV's in a model too). I found though, that I really did not need to paint that many complete 3d models this way, and therefore cancelled my subscription. I then used the free alternative Armor paint a little, and its a great substitute! It is of course not as powerful as substance (especially bump-painting can be a bit tricky), but for most uses it gets the job done! it is worth checking out :-)

But now, i must admit that I almost exclusively uses Quixel Mixer for everything. It is by no means as strong as substance when it comes to painting textures directly on 3d meshes (but it CAN do it now! only one UV though), but for creating generic textures it really does not get much better/easier. and as this is what I need 90 percent of the time, it is the package i prefer. The megascans assets are fantastic, and the way you can seamlessly blend them together to whatever you need is just mindblowing :-) the library is growing rapidly, and it is not often that i find i'm missing something now.

And Mixer has been evolving at a rapid pace (almost comparable to enscape), and new features are added constantly. I dont think it will take that much time to close the gab to substance completely :-)

I completely get that the entire person is 3d scanned, and everything is baked in the same mesh :-) But I too would love to see some more "generic" models. if the doctors did not have those special Equipments, they would also easily fit in scenes with laboratories and production :-) but i know, this is not necessarily something you control, as your models a probably from axyz or renderpeople (or somewhere else?), right? :-)

wow how did you do the rain, smoke, fog and haze directly in escape? Did you assign for example a rain bump texture to a surface with transparency? Cheers!

- The rain is done by making a bunch of regular planes standing on the ground, distributed evenly around. I've played alot with the texture itself, as you have to get the transparency, the scale and the amount of droplets right here. transparency is especially important, as it will not work to add this in the enscape material editor. this makes wrong effect. instead it should be set to the right amount in the png itself. i've also added some inpact splatter in the bottom, to emphasize the rain hitting the ground. make sure this is not making a "straight line" in the bottom of the texture, as this will show up in the renders.

The Haze around lightsources and other places are made in a similar fashion. I've made a Png with all the right settings, and then added the texture to a plane that is places in the model. here is an example from the streetlights:

The smoke effects are made in the exact same way :-)

The overall fog in the image is made as a combination of the native Enscape fog, a big png and some clever placements of lightsources :-) here you'll have to experiment! I hope this helps :-)

I just wanted to share a couple of cuts from the original rendering, and some shots of the sketchup-model, to show the setup... which is mostly done with linked models, as you can see :-)

Great as always, Herbo!

Thank you so much :-) I'm glad you liked it!

Incredible! Great to see what can be achieved provided the right content - must have been a ton of work. Especially loving the atmospheric lighting :thumbup:

Thank you :-) Enscape is an incredible tool, and it is quickly closing the gab to traditional offline renders, especially when you push it to the edge :-) I would love to see support for transparency when you add animated textures to the engine. that way we could make animated rain, smoke and fire as well :-)

WOW

Thank you! :-)

Impressive!

This looks absolutely brilliant!

Thank you Gemma!! :-)

You have done everything I intend to do, Herbo.

^^ congratulations on your job well done

Haha, I'm sorry i beat you to it then ;-) I'm glad you liked it though! I would still love to see your take on it :-)

Hi All

This is my newest personal project. I've been wanting to try out a bunch of stuff for a long time, and i figured that a Cyberpunk scene would be the perfect setting for it! My goal was to create as many effects as possible directly inside of enscape, and that is exactly what I did. Rain, smoke, fog an haze is all done directly in enscape, and not added in post. all that has been done in photoshop is a small amount of color grading.
    I wanted a very specific atmosphere and light in the scenes, and i'm really impressed at how well enscape has handled it!

models are found various places, and the scene is composed and setup myself. most of the textures, including the street are done using quixel mixer.

I hope you like it :-)

Enjoy! :-)

These renders are absolutely stunning. Would you mind if I ask how you get these marble panels to look slightly different from each other? Thank you!

thanks! They are very old by now (almost 3 years), so alot has happened with the software since then :-) The slightly different marble panels are simply done by having 3 different textures with slightly different values, and those are mapped on 3 different wall elements. A great way to do this on larger areas is by using the "random selection" plugin for sketchup. you can then model your whole model with the same components all over, and when it gets time to render it, just select all the same components, use random selection, and make a bunch of them unique and then paint them with different textures :-) a good tip is to keep the original set of components saved for later alterations to the design ( i usually just copy the original set to 50 meters underground). then it is easy to bring it back, make adjustments, and then quickly repeat the steps from before when ready :-)

I'm Still not sure I see the problem. Isn't the whole point that you want your horizon line to go down in the final image, as you add more sky? i've done tonnes of images with the same goal. This is exactly what two point perspective allows, as it keeps all perspective lines the same as you pan your image up and down... also the horisontals ;-) it is basically a tilt shift lens :-) You can then just change the shape of your enscape window to get a different aspect ratio if you desire that. see attached examples:

horisontal image, no shift:

horisontal image, shifted up:

Vertical image, no shift:

Vertical image, shifted up:

Overlay of the last two images to show perspective lines are exactly the same!: