Posts by Paul Russam

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.

Thats how light works, 'white' light hits the cylinder, it absorbs the blue and green and reflects the red (what we see) but the now red light then bounces off the cylinder and hits the wall/floor (+ any anything else in the scene) and illuminated that.

If you introduce a green/blue/whatever element then they will do the same to the environment and each other (a red cylinder will cast red light onto a nearby green cylinder and visa versa)

I've knocked up 2 profile builder assemblies that use the std Enscape asset bushes to produce unmanicured hedges, there's no random position function in PB but there is random rotation so they do a reasonable job of randomness.

You'll obviously require Mind.Sight.Studio's Profile Builder but I'm guessing a lot of us already have it: https://mindsightstudios.com/profile-builder/

Attached is a zip file containing 2 skp files.

Extract them and place them wherever you store your Profile Builder assemblies.

Feel free to butcher them as you see fit and if you can come up with an improvement / alternative you should post it here.

That looks a cracking setup, the Windows Pro is unnecessary but is probably reqd for a corporate environment.

Just out of interest, When will it be delivered, where are you located and when won't anyone be looking .... asking for a friend :)

Your rtx2060 with its small 6GB is almost definitely the problem.

A simple way to think about Enscape is to imagine it has 2 renderers, one that renders the interactive window and another that produces the finished jpg/png’s.

The 1st one completely rely’s on the graphic card and will ‘scale back’ the visible quality if the card isn’t powerful enough to display, the 2nd one uses your cpu to render and can do the full quality even if it takes a while to process.

This is obviously a gross simplification and somewhat ignores the RTX functionality but it’s good enough to explain why you’re seeing such different results.

You don’t say what graphics card you have, my card is an RTX2070 8gb and it’s really struggling with my increasing model density and increasing Enscape features.

I see a difference between what is in the Enscape window vs what gets rendered, it’s manageable for me (for now) but if your card isn’t upto spec and your asking too much of it I could see it producing the results you posted above.

What’s the spec of your machine?, what version of SU/Enscape are you running?

I’ve just remembered someone asked me about D5 a while ago, this was my reply, some points are covered above.

• The interface is a mess, there are buttons all over the place.
    • I really dislike the methodology of only placing assets within the D5 environment, it means having D5 open all the time whereas with Enscape I can get 80/90% of the way to my finished model in SU without even opening Enscape.
    • In D5 sizing textures can only be done with a scale slider, I can't, for example, size a brick or tile texture to an exact dimension.
    • In D5 there is no mapping, If I have, for example, a wooden shelf where I wanted the grain to run in different directions on different faces I need to setup each direction as separate materials in SU and then apply unique materials to each of them in D5
    • No proxies, if you want high detail but it isn't in their assets you have to have the high detail model within your main SU model.
    • If you place one of their assets such as a table down and then want one of your own assets such as a laptop on that table .... good luck!
    • The mouse navigation(orbit/fly) is horrible compared to Enscape

There's other stuff but I basically gave up testing it at this point.

It seems there are some quite nice stuff in D5 but to get to experience them I'd have to wade through a sea of frustration and that's not me.

I usually edit the bounding box and substitute my own basic geometry that represents the size and shape of the sofa, bed etc etc. but I get what you’re saying.

The thing is I CAN move assets such as cushions in SU and view them simultaneously in Enscape to get them sitting nicely on my proxy’s sofa, in D5 you can resync the entire model but to do that every time I want to tweak a vase/painting etc etc would be a nightmare. I’ve just done 3 apartments being built near a local whiskey distillery, all the paintings and some of the assets are relevant to the locale, I just can’t see me doing that in D5 with the ease that it can be done in SU/Enscape.

Here’s another reason I can’t/wont use D5:

I find and place a nice coffee table from the D5 library… all good so far.

Now I want to place one of my own SU assets such as a phone/ vase/brochure on it … but of course the table doesn’t exist in SU so now what?

Not only can I see my Enscape assets (proxy or not) in SU but I can move them and objects related to them in SU AND simultaneously see them move in Enscape

Try this in D5:

I have a brick texture that is 10 x 10 bricks so I want to set it to tile at exactly 2250mm x 750mm ... that's it, that's all you have to try and do in D5.

or:

I have a simple wooden roof truss, let's half it for simplicity. It has 3 pieces of timber, one is horizontal, one is 30deg and the 3rd is bracing the 1st 2. Now... make a single wood texture that aligns to each face of each piece of timber.

These were some of my 1st tests in D5 and unless I was doing something grossly wrong it was impossible .... D5 was uninstalled very soon after.

Processor:

If you're using SketchUp then you want a processor that is good in single-core processing, Intel were/are slightly better than AMD for that but it might have changed with the recent AMD 3D (not our type of 3D, its just a name thing). TBH either are so fast that both are good. As for the processor model I usually look at the top tier and then take 1 step back for cost reasons.

Motherboard:

Depends on the processor and onboard features (Wifi/High-speed ethernet/dual ethernet etc etc) you require.

Memory:

32 or ideally 64Gb of whatever speed suits the processor/motherboard.

Storage/SSD:

Without knowing what IT environment you work in it is hard to spec storage capacity, lots of it if you save locally, less of it if you save to a network but other than that you'd want them to be M.2's on whatever PCIE version the Motherboard supports, probably PCIE4 (5 is still a bit rare and expensive)

Graphics card:

You DONT need a pro card unless you also use very specific apps that can leverage their features, go for the Gaming cards.

Nvidia RTX 4070 Super with its 16Gb if you want to save some money or the RTX 4090 with its 24Gb if you want to make a load of us here cry with envy. Also, the 4090 is realistically required if you want to do smooth VR with the likes of a Quest3.

Power supply:

Often overlooked! Make sure it's good enough to run the 4090 as they are hungry beasts, 1000w should be enough with some headroom.

The rest such as Case, monitors etc etc are personal preference but if you are specifying it to the N'th degree then Noctua fans are probably still the quietest.

Silly question: is the mirror the right way round? ie, are you looking at the back of it.

With some assets, the proxy used by Enscape when placing them in SketchUp can be so simplified that it’s almost impossible to tell front from back unless you see it in the render.

Most (and I assume Revit does this too) do not render back faces, this is to speed up the process.

Imagine you just had a cube, do you want it to calculate all the peramiters for 6 faces or 12?

For things like ground where you’ll never be viewing it from below a single surface is fine but if you need to view both sides you need to give it a thickness.

I don’t know Revit so someone might reply with a Revit specific fix for you.

Since a recent update I've noticed that when rendering a pano the 1st 2 renders are super wide-angle views of the front and back of the camera position, I assume these are to set the exposure etc so that we don't get the occasional bad join we used to see.

Obviously adding these 2 renders will increase the time it takes for each pano to render but if it means better quality then I'm all for it.

As I understand it, when you’re tethered to a computer then the vr headset is simply operating as 2 external monitors with all the hard work being done by your graphics card. I don’t have one but I’ve seen the recommendation ‘to drop Enscape’s quality setting’ to reduce the load.

I’m more than happy to be corrected but I don’t think installing another app (SteamVR) will change the situation.

With each release there is a post here listing the major changes, eg: