Posts by Paul Russam

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.

alternative solution you'd recommend for doing curved LED lighting

Possible alternative:

https://www.tours.blockcpm.studio/percyplace/tour/

If you go into the Living area and look up at the ceiling there's a dropped area with concealed lighting, it's done with a self-illuminating material applied to the upper surface of the bit that sticks out.

If you go to Bed 2 there's an uplight bit behind the bed done in the same way (probably the same material if I remember) and in the Kitchen, there's lighting under the high-level cabinets done in the same way.

Is that just a photo in the background or is it an HDRI? If it's an HDRI try removing it/replacing it with another as a test.

Toggling between the 2 images you posted I can't see anything missing but all the shadows are burnt out making me think it's some damaged exposure thing

I'll invite you to have the "courage" not to troll my perspective and feelings

I've stayed out of this discussion as whilst I own a Mac I don't use SU/Enscape on it but...

For you to accuse others of trolling is a bit strong, I personally sigh whenever I see one of your frequent posts, I 'get' your position but your attitude (justified or not) comes across as quite abrasive, it may be that English isn't your 1st language and some stuff is lost in translation.

I'm sure your 1st reaction to this reply will be to tell me that "As I don't have any skin in the game, I should butt out" but I just thought you should know how you, and more importantly, your message are being received by fellow users.

From a distance, like in the photo you just posted, there are no 'blades', it's just a smooth carpet of grass. How about this:

Use the attached noise map as a displacement with a value of 0.5 and lock its dims to 1m x 1m ... adust to suit when you're viewing it in the render.

It won't survive closeup viewing but for a 'carpet' of grass like your photo, it should be fine.

Thanks Demian Gutberlet

Attached is the script, it currently has a 'txt' extension, you'll need to change that to 'ps1'

You can view it in any text editor but I suggest you use a code editor as you'll then see all the syntax highlighting.

I've put a good load of comments in (Anything starting with #) so you should be able to follow the flow.

It's only 100 or so lines long with a lot of those being comments so this isn't anything complex.

The 1st bit is a Function that's called to unzip the big JSON file in the main bit of code, you can skip past this bit and go to the part below # ** MAIN ROUTINE **

Next, there are some variables you'll need to edit to suit your setup:

SourceFolder is where you've decided to save the offline assets

DT is your desktop, I suggest you leave this alone unless you specifically want the new thumbnails in another location.

ParentFolder is the folder that will be created on your Desktop to contain the new thumbnails

TargetFolder is just the full path (Desktop and Parent Folder) ... Don't change this.

Lang it the language you want the thumbnails and category folders to be in, its currently en-US but you can change it to any listed on that line (it, fr etc)

That should be the only changes you'll need to make, saving it, right-clicking on it, and selecting 'Run with Powershell' should produce a folder on your desktop with a bunch of subfolders containing all the relevant thumbnails.

****** IF YOU'RE UNSURE ... DON'T USE IT!! ******

If you know what you're doing with PowerShell feel free to point out all my mistakes. :)

It was fun to make, this is only my 2nd attempt at Powershell ....and the 1st that actually worked :)

if you can see them in the asset library

Only 'I' can see them in the asset library and only when SU is running.

My boss wants to be able to pick items from his Mac/from Home. The ideal solution is for Enscape to have them all visible on their site but they don't so I did this.

The asset library uses UUID's and JSON files to store everything so there was no 'easy' way to simply print everything out. I had to loop through every file and decode its name/category.

Additionally, the thumbnails are higher resolution than they are displayed in the Asset library, here's a couple of examples:

I've written a Windows Powershell script that will go through the entire Enscape offline assets folder and COPY the thumbnails to another folder with the correct asset names but before I post it I'd like permission from Enscape to do so.

• As it's a script it's completely readable in any text editor so you'll be able to see all the code.
    • It doesn't do anything to the offline assets other than read the contents of the folder(s).
    • You can set the source folder of your offline assets.
    • You can set the destination folder for the new named thumbnails.
    • You can set the language that the thumbnails and category folders use for their names!!
    • You can repeat the process next time the Library is updated.
    • It only takes a few seconds to run

I've found a way to be able to automatically print each category folder to a PDF with 20 thumbs per page but it involves installing a .NET library so I'll look at that separately, for now, they can be printed manually using whatever app is best.

Kaj Burival  Clemens Musterle

I don't use the Custom Assets at all, I have Transmutr which will import obj/fbx etc into SketchUp AND importantly allow me to reduce the poly count so I can get the best compromise between size and quality.

In Transmutr you can relink supplied material maps ... if the model isn't like you describe above,

Once imported into SU I'll rename materials to my liking, do all the usual Enscape stuff of shininess, bump etc etc and then save it as a proxyable standalone model.

Doing it this way, if I need a variation of the model (think bed with blue pillows > green pillows) it's a simple exercise of copying the bed model, changing its materials and saving for use.

https://lindale.io/transmutr

Happens to me a lot, it comes down to how well the original uploader prepped AND CHECKED what they exported. Sometimes they may only upload 1 format (fbx/max for example) and then it’s down to the host site (CGTrader/turbosquid etc) to make the other formats.

I’d say 60% of all the content I’ve ever downloaded has had materials screwed up of even non at all.