Posts by jure

Hi!

Would it be possible to add some kind of fur material in Enscape? I know it's been mentioned here and there but haven't found proper feature request yet.

It's extremely hard to create any kind of furry or shaggy carpets for example. I already tried all sort of tricks - grass, skatter, modeling but haven't found a good solution. I also tried latest carpet material preset. It's somewhat useful but still it's difficult to get realistic furry material. It's also annoying that one cannot make height of grass or carpet material smaller than it's smallest setting...

Lumion 9 has a great realtime fur material, see here:

Thanks!

Hi!

When material is applied on the top level group the UV mapping is rendered differently in Enscape than in Sketchup. This is annoying since I often apply material to top level group for example for wall pictures where I want to retain the frame materials, and only change the picture itself.

Files

• uv_error.zip

(179.47 kB, downloaded 17 times, last: )

Thanks Pete Chamberlain. Based on first Vive Cosmos reviews it looks like it's not something I would be worth investing in.

I'm actually leaning now more towards Rift Quest because of the new PC link option that they introduced recently. Is that something that is going to work out of the box with Enscape?

Actually I'm using Sketchup... But anyways Rift S looks like a viable option. I'm just a bit worried of the lack of adjustment for interpupillary distance...

I will definitely be using desktop for now since I'm not planning to upgrade laptop any time soon. I'm planning to have presentations in out conference room so portability is not important for now.

Does it make sense waiting for Vive Cosmos since it should be out any time now?

I work with laptop with builtin geforce 1050 gtx right now but am willing to invest in some more powerful solution since I know that will probably not be enough for good quality VR. I'm thinking of getting dedicated PC and VR set just for client presentations.

I am willing to invest up to 2k for a solid solution.

Thanks!

It's true what you wrote. However I don't think pro users like you are Enscape's target market. I think they are more aiming for everyday users who want quickly render good enough images and really do not want to spend the time learning all the complexity of pro rendering. And besides pro market is pretty well covered with great and strong render engines so for Enscape trying to compete with them would likely be a suicide.

Hey jure , the caustics of the glass in Thea you'd like to see in Enscape are rather difficult to render, even for offline renderers. Since Enscape is a real-time renderer, achieving the glass output possible with an offline rendering application like Thea is very hard to achieve, especially at 30-60 frames per second.

I'm more concerned with proper refraction and shadows than caustics. Caustics are really the last thing on my mind when doing arch viz.

Caustics and shadows are a different thing though. Caustics appear when light gets refracted or reflected and focused into a small area, and that area therefore appears brighter.

Glass (or transparent material for that matter) should still cast shadows since opacity (or transparency) of transparent material can be anywhere from 1-99%. Hence the shadow can be stronger or weaker. This has nothing to do with caustics though.

Glass is rendering quite poorly inside Enscape currently.

Here's an example what I mean. The first image is rendered with Thea and shows proper refraction of light passing through glass.

Here's a render with Enscape. The rays refract as if the object was not solid but made out of thin glass instead. The problem is obviously rays refracting twice, once passing through front face material and than again when passing through back face. There are also no shadows nor reflections on the floor.

Here's the same render but with transparency turned off. You can clearly see reflections and shadows on the floor.

Here's the scene if you want to play with it: glass test 3.zip

Note: the scene crashes if you try to render it to 4k.

That could work. But it's important to somehow hide advance controls for 'regular' users. You and me might know how to use this stuff but someone who just want's to get decent results quickly will be quickly intimidated if there are many controls...

I have a strong background in 3d viz but most of my coworkers don't. And I already see them being confused even with current Enscape material editor, not too mention Enscape general settings.

I haven't found a thread about this so I'm starting a new one.

Would it be possible for you to add option to pick materials from render widow? So when a user clicks on a particular surface Enscape material properties panel would pop up?

Thanks,

You can. And any Enscape material settings will remain too.

I know. However I tried to add Enscape linear light object to a LED strip light fixture which I have premade as dynamic component. Stretching the light fixture will unfortunately not stretch the Enscape light object. I know I can use just regular light emmiting material but that can give quite a lot of splotches if light is strong.

No, please don't make it more complex. If you want to support advanced users create a separate material editor or additional advanced controls that experts can fiddle with but keep the main material editor as simple as it is.

We do mostly interior design and for us the most useful thing would be stuff like plants in pots, trees, gadgets (phones, electronics), books, pillows, bed linen and similar stuff that you need to fill so that the space looks 'alive'. And this stuff is usually extremely heavy in polygon count so it's perfect candidate for proxies.

We will probably never use furniture, lamps and other similar pieces because we are very picky about the design, colors and materials, of this objects and so we model 90% stuff by ourselves.