Posts by BarryFishFinger

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks Paul Russam - you're correct, its an issue with the auto exposure.

Even if I start the pano looking away from the window (ie everything is properly lit), some of them come out way too dark. Demian Gutberlet not sure if this is a bug or user error?

So I've done the affected views with manual exposure, although this does have the effect of completely blowing out the windows so the view beyond can't be seen. Not crucial for this project though.

Thanks

Been testing this - only some of the panoramas in the same model are coming out way too dark, some are fine.

Hoping someone might have some thoughts on this, I really need to get these panoramas out!

Hi,

My panorama images are coming out way too dark despite looking fine in Enscape.

This is using Enscape 4.0 (ray traced artificial lights off, for speed) - see the comparison attached, enscape on the left, panorama on the right.

Thanks

Actually, sorry Demian Gutberlet, I still have some issues with this - I'm logged in but a number of the Projects have "Waiting for Migration" - I've tried to migrate with the dedicated button (top right of the window) but get the following: "An error occurred during migration" and a list of Panoramas and Web Standalones which failed to migrate (ie all of them)

Is there anything I can do?

Installed and it all seems good apart from a couple of queries:

• Had a couple of crashes on a heavy model when rendering a scene. Progress gets to around 6% and then vanishes, no error. Restarting Sketchup and reloading the model seem to resolve it though.
    • Has there been any changes to the quality of VR? The image seems a lot softer, to the point where some hard corners almost look as if they're slightly curved they're that fuzzy? I've not changed any of my VR settings between this and the previous version of Enscape.

Thanks Demian Gutberlet I have submitted as an idea. Also to have walk mode enabled by default when switching scenes, my users I've been testing VR on that are less confident are teleporting through walls often before I can get there and enabled walk mode on the handset.

Hi all,

I may be missing an option but is there a way to hide the menu on the left hand when using Enscape VR? (the one with the time of day slider, scenes etc on it) Its quite obtrusive so would be good if I could turn it off.

Thanks

Hi,

I've finally decided to tidy up my many test panoramas - however lots of them are showing this error when I try and delete them?:

"Error during cloud removal. Panorama could not be removed from cloud"

There is no option to delete (the bin icon is greyed out) and clicking the cloud icon gives the error above.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Demian Gutberlet , hope you're well - was there any updates on a fix for this issue? This one:

The issue comes when I try and switch back to the Ultra quality preset, the resolution seems to drop and the VR image is very noisy with pixel smearing. The only way to resolve this is to untoggle the VR headset option in Enscape and then retoggle it.

Actually, an Edit to the above!

So SteamVR works, but its temperamental. Despite my assurance that 'it all plays nicely together' above it almost immediately didn't as SteamVR started throwing up all kinds of errors. As it turns out, thanks to a tip by Kaj Burival a better solution is to use the Oculus desktop switcher in Enscape VR.

It never worked for me previously, but you have set the Oculus.exe in the Windows display/graphics settings to use the 'power saving' mode (ie don't let Windows decide, force it to use the laptop onboard graphics card rather than the 4090). Once I did that and restarted, I could load the desktop within Enscape VR by clicking on the Oculus home button (right hand controller).

So the functionality is slightly lower, you can't dock the desktop window to your controllers like you can with Steam VR and walk around with them, - HOWEVER! its vastly more stable and moving/resizing the window via Oculus is much more intuitive so its a nicer experience all round.

So I've made OpenXR the default in Oculus now rather than SteamVR so it no longer opens at all when Enscape is run, again with improvements to stability.

I've also been playing around with the resolution and refresh rates. It all runs at 90Hz/1.7x max res, but the sweet spot seems to be 80Hz and 1.3x res. I'll do some more testing but that seems to strike a good balance between performance and visual quality.

Ah! Kaj Burival, thats really helpful! Your Quill video shows the native Oculus desktop switcher in use - which I'd forgotten existed because I tried it briefly at the start of this project and it didn't work, just shows a black screen.

So I did a bit of digging as to why and as it turns out you have set the Oculus.exe in the Windows display/graphics settings to use the 'power saving' mode (ie don't let Windows decide, force it to use the onboard graphics card rather than the 4090). Once that's done and you've restarted, I can load the desktop within Enscape VR by clicking on the Oculus home button (right hand controller).

So the functionality is slightly lower, you can't dock the desktop window to your controllers like you can with Steam VR, - HOWEVER! its vastly more stable - Steam VR started crashing again not long after I posted my original message. And moving/resizing the window via Oculus is much more intuitive.

So a much better solution, crucially from a stability perspective. Its not going to look good if I get to the clients property and they're walking round in VR and everything falls over because Steam VR has thrown a wobbly again. I've made OpenXR the default in Oculus now rather than SteamVR so it no longer opens at all when Enscape is run, again with improvements to stability.

Thanks very much!

Ok, update. Might be of use to someone somewhere!

So after a lot of faffing around with Virtual Desktops, it seemed to be as simple as ensuring you use Steam VR. With Steam VR running you can bring your desktop and any documentation you like into the VR interface. Click the button on the left hand Quest controller and Steam VR opens with the option to display various desktop windows, dock them to your hands, float them in the VR space etc. This means I can have a user in the VR space and they can view a pdf with say, fitout costs, carbon impacts of a particular fitout without leaving the VR space.

Not sure if this is a universal solution, or if there is a more elegant way to do it but it seems to work. Steam VR also has a few occasional issues with Enscape, so that might be the trade off.

You're quite right, I do remember the tutorial I watched on YouTube lead me to changing some settings in the Oculus software, namely the OpenXR thingie (although I don't have any idea what it is or what it does). It is quite a hassle I had to go through to set the headset up and in the end, although I was impressed to walk right into my projects, I expected to see the same quality I see on the monitor screen, because my graphic card is more advanced than the recommended requirements. Alas, that was not the case, so now I'm left wondering whether the problem is in the headset, in Enscape or in my new laptop.

I will uninstall Oculus and try Steam Link tomorrow, to see if it handles the scenes better.

Regardless of all of this, do you believe Meta Quest was the best choice for viewing 3D projects in VR?

From your quote I understood that Meta Quest carries a processor inside, so it's essentially a "computer" that goes back and forth with the PC it's attached to. Does that mean that there are VR headsets that don't carry processors and therefore would be a "better" choice?

Worth noting that what you see on the screen always looks better than what you see in the headset - its definitely something that catches people out initially (including me!). The headset is basically a screen stuck right in front of your eyes so there is always this 'screen door' effect, where you can almost see the pixels. Meta Quest 3 is apparently better than others for this (pancake lenses?). It is something you get used to though, but yeah it can be a bit disconcerting when the VR isn't as crisp and smooth as the monitor display.

I've done a fair bit of testing with Steam VR etc. I'm using a decent spec laptop and an Oculus Quest 2.

My thoughts:

• CONNECTION - A wired connection (I'm using the official Oculus link cable, but any USB 3 cable would apparently do) seems marginally more stable than Airlink. The lack of wires is nice via Airlink but the Enscape VR experience seems a little more stuttery. My use case for VR (site based) means I can't rely on a stable Wifi connection so a wired connection has to be my default.
    • VR RUNTIME - In the Oculus desktop App check what your VR runtime setting is (settings > general). Oculus wants it to be OpenXR and requests that to be set as the default - however mine is set to SteamVR. I've tested both in Enscape and not seen any notable performance or quality increases in OpenXR over SteamVR, they both seem to work well enough. OpenXR also seems to work fine if playing Steam games, ie PCVR. However! for my VR usecase, SteamVR actually adds some functionality I need (explained below!). Note, if you set OpenXR as the default in the Oculus desktop app, the only way to get it set back to SteamVR back is to set it in the SteamVR developer settings.
    • STEAMLINK - SteamLink app via the Oculus headset interface apparently wants a wired connection to the router - this is not feasible, particularly for my VR use case. It claims not to work, but seems to anyway - Enscape VR displays but it is definitely flakey with graphical artifacts. So SteamLink does not work for me
    • STEAMVR - If you have SteamVR set as the OpenXR default in Oculus then Steam VR will always open when you run Enscape VR. If you have OpenXR set as the default, SteamVR will not open
    • SteamVR does not always play nicely with Enscape. If you start Enscape VR before SteamVR there seem to be all kinds of issues with Steam VR crashing, not loading properly etc. I've had many issues with Steam VR crashing Enscape, Sketchup etc etc requiring a restart. SteamVR also occasionally gets stuck and can't be closed down, again requiring a restart
    • So if it can be problematic, why use SteamVR? The reason I use it is I've found that with Steam VR running you can bring your desktop and any documentation you like into the VR interface. Click the button on the left hand Quest controller and Steam VR opens with the option to display various desktop windows, dock them to your hands, float them in the VR space etc. This means I can have a user in the VR space and they can view a pdf with say, fitout costs, carbon impacts of a particular fitout etc.
    • If SteamVR is not used (ie OpenXR instead) then this desktop functionality does not seem to work.

Crucially for me, when using SteamVR, the process has to be this:

1. Boot laptop
    2. Open the Oculus Desktop App
    3. Connect Quest headset via the cable and turn on.
    4. Launch Questlink via the Quest Headset
    5. Start Steam VR on the laptop
    6. Load 3D model & Enscape.

With these steps followed in order then everything seems to play nicely together.

One thing I haven't tested - in the Oculus settings I've messed around with the resolution and refresh settings (increased everything, heh). Might be worth dropping all that down to the default to see the impact on performance/visuals within Enscape VR.

Its been a journey anyway, haha.

Hi,

I'm using Enscape and an Oculus Quest 2 which is great; but what I really need is some overlay functionality so that within Enscape VR I can bring up additional windows within VR (eg a cost summary for a particular fitout).

Is there a way to do this?

1. I've tried OVR Toolkit, which works pretty well in Steam VR - but Enscape does not run through Steam VR so OVR can't interface (and also Enscape does not play nicely with Steam VR active, framerate and stability is terrible)
    2. I can't export as a standalone .exe and run through Steam VR as my company IT policy prohibits the running of .exe files.
    3. I've considered Virtual Desktop but I don't believe that gives the functionality to open windows in VR (and apparently that requires a wired connection to a router, wireless won't work? I'm running Enscape/VR on a laptop, intended to be taken around client properties so wired to a route isn't an option)

So I'm a bit stuck, does anyone have any ideas about how I could achieve this?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm experimenting with VR and visual presets.

I have two Enscape scenes set up, one with Ultra quality, the the other as draft quality with outlines.

Enscape loads with the Ultra quality preset, it loads into VR fine. If I change scene (currently via Sketchup) then the visual settings update to the lower quality visual style - so far so good. The issue comes when I try and switch back to the Ultra quality preset, the resolution seems to drop and the VR image is very noisy with pixel smearing. The only way to resolve this is to untoggle the VR headset option in Enscape and then retoggle it. See image below

It matters because I need clients to be able to switch back and forth between the two visual presets.

Using Sketchup 2023 and Enscape 3.5.6+202715

Thanks for any help.

Oh and as an additional to this - in VR presentation mode, whilst the view location changes fine when choosing a favourite scene, the visual presets do not update correctly, I assume that's not currently possible?

Hi Demian Gutberlet

I've got this issue with Revit 2024 and the full license. This is the first time trying Enscape with Revit 2024, everything to do with Enscape is greyed out in the default 3D view (image below).

I've just upgraded to version 3.5.5+122071 and it works fine in Sketchup 2023 and in Revit 2023.

I'd just use Revit 2023 but the model I need to access was created in 2024 and Revit is not backwards compatible....

Many thanks for any assistance.

Kaj Burival has confirmed that his Quest 3 works with Enscape (see above), its not official confirmation of support but it does show that it should be feasible.

Probably I would uninstall everything and then reinstall using the steps on the Oculus website, so theoretically the process would be:

1. Set up the Quest 3 headset using the mobile app: https://www.meta.com/en-gb/hel…h-quest-3/set-up-quest-3/
    2. Download the PC app to your computer - Quest 3 set up looks to have the same process as the Quest 2 set up: https://www.meta.com/en-gb/hel…onnect-link-with-quest-2/
    3. Make sure your link cable is USB 3 and is plugged into a USB 3 port on your PC, make sure the headset is found and active in the Oculus app.
    4. Activate Quest link via the headset, in system settings (here you can choose to connect via either the link cable or Air Link).
    5. Make sure the Oculus app is open and running, then open your 3D model (Sketchup or whatever)
    6. Open Enscape, hit the VR button and it should load straight in to the headset through Quest link.

Hopefully you can get it working!