Posts by Ted.Vitale

I own a small Architectural visualization firm here in Baltimore. Its myself, my business partner and our intern. Im still primary owner, and do 90% of the legwork so Im always looking for ways of saving time or money.

Ive watched Enscape's growth from the early days in 2015 (i think?) when I first heard of the product. It was popular for low end visuals in Revit but V-Ray was still my go-to because I was working at Chaos Group at the time and tendded to give more realistic results. Over the past 5 years though, Ive watched Enscape grow, evolve and improve so rapidly that I really cant believe it. Now my small studio is using it for 80-90% of our rendering workflow. Its saved me loads of money and headach by allowing us to focus on staging and design, while still having the quality we need to produce beautiful high-fidelity images for clients.

One specific project where it was a god send was for Inventure Design. They came too us and asked that we produce a finished animation of their recent proposal for a client headquarters. We had a week to stage, prep, animate and edit using the architect provided base model. In a traditional rendering pipeline this would have been out of the question because the render farm costs would have killed the budget, and even with our render farm we could never have been able to produce it that quickly. Enscape and the real-time system it uses rendered out 2K clips in no time flat. Made us look great too the client and has evolved into a wonderful working relationship with many jobs to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FBjTB752iM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5PY-4uviTw

Enscape keeps saving me time and making me money. I love it!

So, the new animated textures in the 2.9 preview are awesome! But I've notioced if I leave the machine idel for a while the textures stop animating, in the viewport or the export. I have too re-start the enscape scene completely. Close the enscape window and restart enscape.

Not a terrible bug, but, thought I should make a comment.

Woooo! Im tinkering around with the animated textures ans this is a pretty sweet add!

Im going to request some added complexity here though. I'd liket to see animated textures supported in other locations, specifically the transparency texture slot.

It would be really amazing to key out some of the elements in the video. So, essentially drop in a Green screen person/bird/tree, also have the exported alpha channel available (usually generated from like After effects) and combine the two elements so you have the object on screen moving and the background element keyed out using the transparency texture.

Pretty impressive either way.

Ted.Vitale you'll have a dedicated Displacement map option where you currently switch between Bump and Normal map. If you want to combine a normalmap with a displacement map you'll have to combine them into a single RGBA texture for now. Then Enscape will recognize it correctly and use the RGB channels for normal and the alpha channel for displacement.

This limitation might be lifted in future versions down the road though, but will require some overhaul of the current Material Editor UI.

Hope that helps! :)

That’s great news, I mean it would be easier to have it as a separated element in the UI but the fact that out of the box I have that functionality with a little extra legwork is nice. Thanks for the update.

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again, the Enscape Team is developing at an amazing rate. It’s the one subscription software I actually feel like is worth the yearly subscription. I with some of the host software would take note and start developing at a more regular pace!

Demian Gutberlet is there any information on how to use Displacement? Im currently just adding it to the bump slot assumign thats where it lives and it seems like it works pretty well, but im wondering how it will be implimented in the final iteration. It would be nice to be a seperate slot so that we can have displacement and fine grain bump/normal map as well. Either way, its nice to play with so far!

Woooooooo! I’m already thinking of ways to put this too work! Any chance it will support alpha channels with the animated textures?

I just saw on linkedin a video of Lunas 3D Visualisation showcasing their L-Touch Real Estate Marketing Software.

Looks like they are using a combination of google earth and unreal rendering engine and bim functionality.

Is it possible for enscape to use 3d graphics from google earth in future versions?

You might want to give this a try. Weve had some really good luck with it so far.

Once you get it in blender you can export it as a fbx and import it to sketchup

A collection of interiors!

The first Pair is a design by Inventure Design interiors illustrating the a showroom unit for a high-end senior living complex.

The Gym is also from Inventure Design and is for funding for the Houston St. Thomas Aquinas atheletics program.

The next set of interiors are for Studio Life/Style and are for a popular actor. I cant say who it is specifically but hes been in Guardians of the Galaxy and done some voice acting in a movie about plastic bricks ;)

The Baroque Room was just testing some new models and materials.

Finally the Apartment and the Lobby Lounge were for the Harbisons Dairy by SgRA Architects in conjuction with Cohere.

Archytextural you’re right I might go back in and tweak that a little more to try and punch up the trees a bit more. I just got a comment from the client this morning I need to take care of so I’ll be back in the photoshop file today. Maybe I’ll be able to make that change as awesome well!

Thanks for the crit! It’s always good to have fresh eyes on things you’ve been looking at for weeks 😂

But isnt that a SketchUp functionality rather than an Enscape feature? At least there seem to be other people that have the same challenge:

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/…-export-possible/101528/5

Yes, the texture its-self is in-sketchup but the linking to the Bump/Normal/Reflection/Transparency mapping is handled by Enscape so if I share a sketchup file with those assets, theyre not included in the file. Same for the custom linked models.

Very interesting approach. This seems to work for custom animations at the moment but a lot of work seems to be involved. It would be great to see Enscape support fbx Animations at some point in the future. Now that we have animated trees maybe thats the direction were heading :) One can only hope.

Great work!

My only piece of advice would be to make the grass a little lighter in color so the trees pop a little more. In the lower portion o f the rendering it all becomes a green blob. My other advice would be to vary the color of the trees, but we can't do that yet with the assets.

I would tend to agree with you here. But the first comment from the client was "Maker the trees and the grass greener" (there were origionally a few different varieties), so in this instance we're dealing with artistisc prefrence vs client requests, and since the client pays the bills, well, we get all green trees lol. But I could probably varry the lightness of the grass some like youve said.

Ted.Vitale , nothing major I would see as a fault, I think this is a fantastic looking project already - one thing: Perhaps you want to add a few benches to the green "park" areas? Or perhaps something like a playground for example. :) Just an idea to make these areas a touch more interesting!

I wish I could Demian! Unfortunately this is a mapping project more than a traditional visualization or design project. The requirements were too model the existing ammenities as closley as possible (with-in the timeframe and budget provided) and give an accurate portrail of the office park as it currently staands.

The two buildings in the upper right hand corner are Phase 1 of a multi phase long term project that will redevelop the entire area (lots of parking lots built in the mid to late 70's) and turn it into a more attreactive location.

In the mean time the goal is to show what is there and augment this on the marketing website with clickable informative markers at different locations around the site.