Posts by rheinason

Hi Demian, Update from the VisualARQ guys. Did you have a look at the issue? Pretty sure it relates to blocks or similar. Could you go into a bit more detail on how I could use the Material Editor to adjust the texture mapping? I'd prefer using the Enscape Material Editor as that allows a bit more control in some areas.

I meant that you could make use of the material editor in Rhino instead, as this may already be helpful with what you're trying to achieve. I've adjusted my last response accordingly.

+1 for both Displacement and rounded edges! I also wanted to shoutout Blenders adaptive subdivision, as far as I can read about it, it works with OpenSubDiv. It works really well and could be an efficiency boost, both for preview and render settings, even if it's more of a final render type function.

+1 from me.

And if true displacement is too hard to make maybe take a look at Steep Parallax Mapping.
    Looks pretty close to real displacement and is made for realtime use. See the links below.

http://graphics.cs.brown.edu/games/SteepParallax/

In the live example below click and drag the mouse to change occlusion amount. Notice the "displaced" edges.
    https://www.shadertoy.com/view/MtXyz7

This also looks super nice and usable, maybe there's a universe where both could be added, so that when choosing Ultra on the render settings we'd get real displacement.

If this object has been imported/created with the VisualARQ plugin, then the corresponding texture mapping might not (yet) translate into Enscape as seen in SketchUp. You can gladly send in the project so that I can also forward this file to our developers!

In this case, if possible, I'd recommend making use of our SketchUp material editor, again, if this would be an option for you only. :)

Using the SketchUp Material Editor in Rhino? And how would that help with the Texture Mapping? I've gotten a response from the VisualARQ developers who are claiming some of the blame.

Hi there

This is sort of a crucial feature, when someone is working from home they often create enscape materials, but when they arrive in the office the image textures are gone, even with search paths being defined in rhino and so on, this issue is only with the Enscape Material Editor, the rhino materials find the image textures and if Rhino doesn't find the image textures if gives off an error and asks for a new location:

The Enscape Material Editor on the other hand completely screws us over and we need to redo the entire material, including any adjustments we made to the brightness or amounts relating to these images.

A bit of development for rhino users: Here's a script from Willem Derks from this thread. I added some adjustments so that it creates a enscape capable material including roughness map in the environment slot. NOTE: This script requires that each material is placed in it's own folder, I'll be doing some adjustments in the future so that it can find a map based on the file name instead.

Could you please give more details on how you see normal map sensitivity adjustment to be done? Normal maps contain normalized values which fully describe normals of the material. Scaling normals down will bring nothing - renormalization will reconstruct the original normals.

As a amplitude slider, more or less bumpiness. Just like with a bump map. This is entirely a artistic slider, whether or not this is "correct" I don't know.

Thanks, I can file this as a feature request. Could you also let me know about the specific use case for this in your scenario, so that I can also add it as further feedback? :)

Sure, it's mostly related to improving the speed at which we can add new materials into a file. If there was a "+" within the Material Editor:

Or just a command for this, if the importer could then import all the image textures related to the material into the appropriate slots, it would make it quite a bit faster to load in new materials. Something as impressive as the Poliigon importer would be nice, but the main functionality, for me at least, would be to be able to select just the diffuse channel image and then automatically import all other maps.

A demo of the Poliigon one is here.

Hi there

I just wanted to log a few complaints,

1. View Synchronization is a bit of a pain to use as it's dependent on the viewport size in rhino, this makes it a difficult to match the view between shots done by multiple team members, where a rerender is in order, but the post production is underway. Our workaround is creating a floating viewport with the exact aspect ratio our render will have, but sometimes we don't know that when starting our process. V-Ray does this perfectly, shots align as long as the same Named View is activated.
    2. The environment slot is used and makes it very hard to preview materials when using Roughness maps, this is for both Enscape and Rhino Materials with the "glossyenvironment" modifier. Some sort of override or similar would be great for previewing materials and their mapping before launching Enscape