Posts by burggraben

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.

That's already above the threshold (2180) and I wouldn't recommend to run with 150% super-sampling with Enscape. It's very likely that what you're seeing isn't actually pixel aliasing but reprojection artifacts because with that kind of resolution you're probably way below the native framerate of the HMD (you can check that if you enable developer settings in SteamVR I think). I think your overall experience will probably be better running at native resolution (100%).

Thanks. The 2180 threshold explains the weird effect where the controller looks worse at higher resolutions. I have confirmed that they look a lot better when I render at 100% native HMD resolution. However, the opposite is true for the world.

I am not running into reprojection issues. Running stable at 80FPS with basically zero reprojection (see left wrist info screen in video). Great job on improving the performance of the engine by the way guys. A year ago or so I wasn't able to run it at native refresh rates. Thanks!

So currently I have to run Enscape at 150% supersampling to tone down the aliasing flickering in the world. It doesn't look that bad in the video, but trust me it is super distracting and immersion-breaking when wearing the headset and I don't see it that much in other VR apps. The video shows the flickering is improved at 150% supersampling and worse at 100% native resolution. My GPU usage is going from 60% at native to around 80% when supersampling. I guess what I am asking is that you let me spend this 20% GPU power on better anti-aliasing rather than on super-sampling. Do you think that would help? There must be some anti-aliasing or anti-flicker algorithm that other VR apps have enable that Enscape isn't using yet.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'd like to understand better how Enscape texture downsampling actually works. I've read that large textures are supported but that they are downsampled if GPU memory is low or the place where it is used is small. I have a 16K texture placed on a large wall on the outside of a building. I'd like it do retain a lot of detail, but Enscape downsample it to something that looks less than the 2K version of the same texture. I have plenty of VRAM (24G) which is half empty, so that's not the problem. Why is my texture downsampled so aggressively?

Left: Original Texture

Right: Enscape downsampling

Can we have a slider to downsample less agressively, or even simpler and better:

Can we please have a switch to disable downsampling completely? I'd like to manually assign texture of different sizes to each asset.

Thanks Clemens! Will use PNG.

BTW: My texture library also would support EXR format exports which is the highest quality option, but I believe this is currently not supported by Enscape (or Revit for that matter)?

Re-reading this "very bad" is an exaggeration. It is not *that* bad - still - all the shimmering and flickering is incredibly distracting in VR. Any idea what causes this and why it is some much better in Enscape outside VR, but also better in other VR apps?

Thanks, so you're saying JPG and PNG will use the same amount of GPU memory and in both cases the GPU is pushing the same amount of pixels from video memory through the GPU to the screen and therfore same performance for JPG and PNG?

It appears to me that in this case if I don't care about disk usage I should always use the higher quality PNG over JPG (roughly twice the size). Any other drawbacks to using PNG textures other than size-on-disk?

Regarding the 3D Engine used in Enscape - does it prefer to work with JPG textures or PNG textures? JPG is obviously smaller, but let's assume I am working with a 24GB video memory so this is less of an issue. Is one of the formats less GPU or CPU intensive than the other?

Any difference in the flat screen vs VR rederer?

Sorry I see how that sounded negative. I had said "the biggest downside to Enscape3d right now is the poor 3d headset quality." In that, I was saying that VR headsets in general have poor quality compared to the graphics you see when not in VR.

To be fair, some of the VR quality difference in Enscape is not just hardware-related, but also software. See my video here, how most SteamVR Software does a better job at anti-aliasing than Enscape at the moment. I am hoping this will be an easy fix. Very bad anti-aliasing in Enscape VR

Enscape VR has bad anti-aliasing or maybe completely disable anti-aliasing for some reason. I am thinking that there must a swich in the rendering engine to enable it. DLSS is already disabled, which is an even worse effect. I made a video which shows demonstrates the missing anti-aliasing by just looking at the Index controllers once in the Steam Home environment and once in Enscape. Same hardware, same session. Every Steam app/game renderes the Index controllers in comparable quality except Enscape. Why is that? Is extends to the Enscape rendered world too and causes lots of jagged lines and shimmering. Please give use anti-aliasing.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm still waiting for the Aero. It said "3-4 months" when I ordered it in early January. So no update. I will for sure post here when it comes in and I get to test it. Based on what their delivery time is I guess I will update a few days after April 10 to May 10th.

Thanks! Would be much appreciated if you report your finding of using the Aero in Enscape. BTW, don't use DLSS in VR. Found that out the hard way.

That is correct - If it's a VR device that makes use of SteamVR, Enscape should support it but will in most cases not display the correct controller models inside the VR experience. Which is a reason why we're also careful when it comes to recommending the Aero in this case for example.

I understand. Since the Varjo lines doesn't come with controlers, but uses the Valve tracking, most people probably used Index controllers with it (a far fewer people older Vive controllers). Any chance to just display Index controllers when an Varjo is connected?

arebe , pardon the late reply, but unfortunately, we have not tried Enscape VR with this particular headset, and there aren't any plans to officially support it anytime soon I'm afraid.

It's a bit of a weird decision. The Varjo line of headsets are aimed at the professional market, which is certainly also the market for Enscape. Why would architects use headsets aimed at the gaming market which are currently supported by Enscape, while car designers use professional headsets like the Varjo line. I am currently using an Index, but looking to upgrade to a Varjo Aero, specifically to use it with Enscape and get rid of some jagged lines and shimmering through the higher resolution.

arebe Did you have a chance to try Enscape with the Aero yet?

@Darmian Is there any reason why the Aero should not work? I figured than any device that works in SteamVR should work with Enscape?

Sorry, missed that. Since DLSS can be toggled on the fly it would be nice if Enscape would automatically disable it when entering VR mode. Sure would improve the default quality for a lot of users.

Thankyfully performance it okay for me at 90FPS on my RTX3090 even without DLSS, altough it does use about twice the GPU resources.

I do run Enscape on medium though. After alot of trial and error I found out that High and Ultra just don't feel as good in VR. They both cause an interesting effect where it look like a scene is rendered (pixels coming in) for a second when turning your head. Medium is instant and has more imersion. Lighting effect can also be too distracting and flickering on High and Ultra. So weirdly, Medium Rendering Quality looks "better" to me than High or Ultra in VR.

I was wondering for the longest time why VR started to have much lower quality. Performance was improved, but I have jagged jumping lines everywhere, like 3D graphics from the 90s before lines started to be anti-aliased. I finally figured out that it was caused by DLSS. Why is it working so bad for me? DLSS is supposed to improve performance with no noticable drop in quality. Here is a video of looking at an Enscape Asset with DLSS Off and On. Look at it full screen to see the bad "no anti-aliasing" effect on the side of the picture. When looking at something like grass this effect makes the whole screen apear to jump into my eyes.

External Content youtu.be