Posts by Ilias Kapouranis

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.

Black and white pencil/ ink artwork is great in architectural studios where everyone can read those drawings, but they don't go far with people who are paying for renderings that show them what line drawings can't. Color/ texture/ shadows are a huge part of that. Sketchy lines alone are not enough for my clients.

Of course! Although, depending on the client and the state of the project, one might need to show their clients a simpler version, akin to an architectural drawing so that they can focus on the stuff that matter at the time. It might prove to be a "waste of time" to setup materials and lights from the very start where the structure tends to change a lot.

49468-comp-png

This was an example from earlier- I wanted to keep the colour , lighting materiality of the surfaces I had created, but I also wanted to give this piece a conceptual look also - the hatching really aids this and gives a unique look.

The combination of the 2 lets me achieve this - much in the same way that users use the outline options currently. - perhaps to intentionally give a work a more "cartoon" like look.

I see your point! Most of our inspiration for Artistic Modes is based on architectural drawing techniques that are taught at universities with some twists to make them a bit more playful. I logged your feedback for internal discussion but I can't promise anything as we strive to have the minimum amount of settings possible to not overburden the GUI.

Not sure how possible it is, but being able to run the Sketch look on top of the standard ouput would be welcome - that would save having to composite it in photoshop.

Hey Adam.Fairclough, thanks for the suggestion! I would like to understand the use case for this before I can answer. Why do you want the realistic output overlaid with the sketch? Can't you achieve what you want with the outlines? Do you want colored hatching?

Hello everyone and thank you for testing the sketch Artistic Mode! I want to confirm that the jitter zooms the image a bit to hide artifacts at the edges of the image. But we are going to revert this change because you made us realize that it is important to keep the contents of the viewport the same.

We like what we see already from your tests and can't wait to see more :)

Hello E.Oprescu and welcome to the forum! Our outlines algorithm detects an outline when there is some change in the depth between two surfaces or there is some significant difference in the normal vectors. In your case, since the models have smooth outside surfaces, the outlines algorithm can't pick up any of the differences I mentioned above.

Unfortunately I am not very familiar with massing models to propose a workaround that will be less time consuming than your current workaround. Maybe Demian Gutberlet or Kaj Burival have any ideas.

The gist of the problem is that the installer of preview versions of 4.0 were not uninstalling previous versions correctly in some cases and were leaving some information that should be deleted.

By using an external uninstaller program such as the one mentioned in the thread, we are making sure that everything is deleted and then any new Enscape installation will work as expected. Maybe you could coordinate with your company's IT team so that they can handle it themselves?

Hello there! I would like to add a detail to manage expectations regarding Enscape's displacement mapping.

Our technique operates at screen space and doesn't alter the geometry. This means that we employ some tricks so that the surfaces of the displaced materials appear to have some depth but the geometry stays exactly the same. Even if you find a seamless texture with displacement, you will still have straight edges for the walls at their boundaries.

A seamless texture will help hide this when two surfaces with the same material are connected but it won't help when two surfaces with different materials are next to each other. In the image below I have emphasized the edges that stay straight with displacement maps.

Hope that helps!

Yes this is a copy-paste from the 3.5.6 service pack. These newer smaller versions contain bugfixes so the rendering quality might have been increased but this is not stated explicitly. That's why there is also the "Automatic disabling of ray-traced sun shadows" in every version's changelog.

Hello Ofri and happy new year!

The video with alpha channel was never properly supported and for the versions that "it works", it was actually "a bug" from our side which was "fixed" for us and we no longer show transparency of the videos in newer versions. There are talks on how to properly support it because transparency in videos is not well defined among different formats. No ETA though for when this will be implemented.

Hello cookiemonster. Since HW accelerated ray tracing is disabled, we mainly rely on screen space reflections and a very limited software emulated ray tracing technique. The problem with screen space reflections is that we can only reflect what is already on the screen and for everything outside of the screen we need ray tracing. In the following video you can see how the reflections of the trees are no longer visible when the trees are no longer "inside the screen".

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The only setting that could help you is enabling HW accelerated Ray-Tracing and probably disabling HW accelerated Sun Shadows (because from the view you shared, you won't have much benefit from them and your GPU has 6Gb of VRAM).

Other than that, you could change the view so that more slats are in the image and be reflected by screen space reflections.

Hello cookiemonster. From the get go:
    - what is the Enscape version that you are using?
    - what GPU are you using?
    - do you have hardware accelerated ray tracing enabled?

From the image you shared, I assume that the slats are modelled as geometry.

One reason that the reflections fade out is that the project has a lot of geometry and not every object is picked as a candidate for reflections. Since the slats are very thin, it could be that their "importance" is lower from other objects and that's why we don't see that slats that are further away from the glass.

After asking around a bit internally, I was informed that there is a workaround that you could try by setting an Enscape startup variable to choose the GPU you want. To do that:

1. Create a text file named userPre.cfg (not userPre.cfg.txt) at the location C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Enscape\userPre.cfg

2. Edit that file, write the line r_vkDeviceSelectionOverride 0 and save it. This line will select the first GPU reported.

3. Open Enscape and observe which GPU is used for rendering.

4. If the GPU is not the one you want, close Enscape (might also need to restart the CAD too), increase the number by 1, i.e. r_vkDeviceSelectionOverride 1, save and try again until you reach the GPU you want.

Hope that helps!