Posts by Nic

I have done this now, but again to be sure, when hitting save in the sketchup file drop down, does this or does it not save the visual presets to the current running preset file? i.e do I need to save my model file and then also save my presets everytime I adjust them?

I will go away after this :)

Ok, I admit, I'm desperate for my first 'showcase' or 'proud' post but I have hit some big stumbling blocks still. That said, I am loving what you guys are doing with Enscape and I love using it, possibly for not what its designed for, but I've made a decision to stick with Enscape as commercially, your pitch (cost and workflow) suits me very well.

Anyway, help!

I have 2 current issues, 1 with transparent materials, and another question I maybe kow the answer to but need validation and/or advice.

1. Transparent textures;

How do I achieve an actual frosted or textures transparent finish to a material. Or maybe I'm asking for semi-tans? Everything I do doesn't retain a frosted of high refractive effect? See badly marked up render noted B. Further to that, looking at the front view vs the rear, theres lots of reflection from the interior on the rear shot which shouldn't happen, but the front is fine? I've applied the material finish to a group or component and not a surface so this shouldn't be an issue still, no?

Second question, speckles or pixelation of certain areas of surfaces. I as many have experienced this with other software as lighting issues or under-rendering? Is there a term for this? It happens a bit in small areas and I want to k ow what I'm doing wrong to cause this.

Front shot attached for reference of transparent finishes to shot what i'm looking for currently.

Appreciate any help from you all!

nic.

p.s. anyone know a good sub div plugin other than Nat Zappia's and the Tommos (?). Specifically for curvasive automotive modelling. Thats bonus right now though :)

Just to confirm, once you create a preset, a native save in sketchup will update those presets so there is no need to save the preset update seperately?

Yeah, I've just found this by clicking on the presets tab, doh! Totally missed that before and don't get to use it as much as I want.

Am I mistaken here, but I thought doing away with the visual settings file save and load function meant that the visual settings stayed native to the working file itself?

I have several projects on the go at one time and after working on another, I went back to another one to find all the visual settings have changed to the last file I worked on, basically ruining what I had done on other files before. Surely this is not the case or have I missed something?

I'm hitting a wall (in several ways!) with textures at the moment and I may be missing something but where or does everyone use for their texture resource?

I have used sketchup texture club in the past which offer the HQ ones with bumps etc but for large coverage they don't seem to cut it as they're too focused and therefore way too repetitive. increasing the scale just throws them way out of context. It's like most textures I have found focus on high res for a small texture, not a large area.

Am I getting something wrong in enscape or are there better resources for this? What does everyone else do?

So this has happened again and I need to render something tonight for tomorrow!!

Specs are;

MacBook Pro running Bootcamp

Latest Sketchup 2019

Latest release of Enscape installed (tried preview release as well)

Licenced via monthly version

And I get no materials editor and asset library and maybe more, see attached.

I'm really starting to find Enscape unstable with a lot of these issues stalling and stopping it being a productive tool. Please help ASAP!

nic.

I'm finding all of a sudden that not all my setting preset files are not loading. They're still in the settings folder on my HD but don't show in the setting preset drop down in Enscape. Some do show up but some don't. Any ideas?

I can't seem to get a realistic looking frosted white film applied to glass (manifestation). The white appears darker as soon as the transparency box is checked or I lower the opacity in sketchup thus enabling it. It also is nowhere near strong enough with what's behind it being still very visible. Is there a way to remedy this?

At the moment it is a thin piece of geometry drawn on top of the glass but I have tried making a 12mm thick piece of geometry and applying the material but the results are the same.

Any ideas?