Posts by Ed anonarch

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.

I like the *idea* of Twinmotion (easy-to-use front end for Unreal Engine), but the reality is I've tried every new version of TM that's come out in the last few years and have yet to get it to run for more than a few hours without some critical error happening.

There's some long-standing bugs: "TM-6281 - Rhino Direct Links are causing errors on Materials." I swear that bug or something very similar has been on the "known bugs" list for as long as I've been paying attention. (years)

The TM forum is a mess. It's like a blog sort of thing...

And I get the terrible feeling that the TM developers are leaning towards making TM more of a stepping stone for people to get their models into Unreal Engine for further work, which is the *last* thing I want, and kind of the exact opposite of what TM was trying to do in the first place.

I still like the idea though!

Two different people working on the same Rhino 7 file (at different times of course, not both with same file open at once). When I save the file on my end, we've got a wide range of materials across many different layers (walls, floors, windows, etc.). My colleague opens the file later in Rhino 7, does some editing, saves file, and then later I open the same file. For some reason, most of the many many different materials are set to a single material ("sand pbr" in this case). I've spoken with the other person (also an experienced Rhino user) and asked some basic questions like, "Hey, did you reset all the materials?" answer: "No! Hell no!!"

This has happened now with a couple of different Rhino files that we both work on.

I don't recall this happening when we were both using Rhino 6, but I'm not positive about that.

Couple of screenshots attached showing the layer names and material assignments, before and after.

I've sent "feedback" reports for both versions of the file through the feedback option in Enscape.

The files do have different names because I've asked my colleague to start saving the files with new names so we don't overwrite the file that still has correct material assignments.

I've got a Rhino file that I'm working on in collaboration with someone else off-site. This is a couple-years-old Rhino model, probably started out in Rhino 5 when I was using Maxwell render. About a year ago I started using Enscape with this file and have done half a dozen rounds of renderings, several months apart, with no trouble.

Yesterday, I open the old file and was making some updates, at some point I look at the materials assigned to the Layers and realize that most of them are set to the same exact material. Importantly, I'm not sure whether my colleague had made any substantial changes to the file before I opened it.

Not having any real idea what might be wrong, I opened up an older copy of the file that had the correct materials and used that as a guide to re-assign the correct materials to the layers in my current file. Made my changes, sent it off to colleague, who made some changes and sent it back to me.

Open the file this morning: most of the layer materials have switched again to a single material.... talk to my colleague: "Uh... did you do anything with the materials?" "No." I'm puzzled. Maybe befuddled as well?

One thing I notice is that the single material it reassigns to is the same "Glass enscape", but with an incrementing number: (1) or (2) after the name, i.e.: "Glass enscape (1)".

Couple of screenshots of the Layer panel attached, one from yesterday's file and one from today. I've sent a log file as well, through the Feedback window.

Sounds like the rhino objects need some texture mapping. I've referred to this video many many times:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Looks same/similar as this bug report from Sept 2019.

I set up a new computer. Transferred the Enscape license to new computer. Open old Rhino 6.0 file on new computer, open Enscape "tune materials" thing... my materials are there, but missing their textures, but not completely: one material was using a bump map and it still showed "Type Normal map", but above that where you'd expect to see a preview and the texture name, it was blank, but with a big blank space... like it had reserved space to show the texture, but didn't... and not the name either.

Open same file on old computer (after transferring license back to old computer): no problem. All material settings shown as expected.

This was with the last preview version of Enscape-2.7.0-preview.5+18691. Maybe this has been fixed in one of the recent updates? (If yes, let me know. It's a hassle to switch to the new computer and I don't want to do it for nothing. :) )

<bump> I knew adding this to an old thread was a bad idea! ;) But it really seems like the same bug(?). :/

I set up a new computer. Transferred the Enscape license to new computer. Open old Rhino 6.0 file on new computer, open Enscape "tune materials" thing... my materials are there, but missing their textures. But not completely: one material was using a bump map and it still showed "Type Normal map", but above that where you'd expect to see a preview and the texture name, it was blank, but with a big blank space... like it had reserved space to show the texture, but didn't... and not the name either.

Open same file on old computer (after transferring license back to old computer): no problem. All material settings shown as expected.

Maybe this has been fixed in one of the recent updates? (If yes, let me know. It's a hassle to switch to the new computer and I don't want to do it for nothing. :) )

Mods: feel free to break this post off into it's own thread if you like. I added it to this because the symptoms seemed to match mine and I didn't want to cause thread clutter.

Ah, poop! I've just run into this... error? I just set up a new workstation computer, installed Rhino 6 and Enscape-2.7.0-preview.3+17930. All the texture files are copied over to new computer with same folder/path layout and drive letters. Open Rhino 6 file from old computer. Materials seem to be there (shown in list with correct/expected names), but any image maps I was using are not shown, and no hint that they ever existed really... not even an error message saying, "Hey, where's this image?"

If it even just showed the name of the file that's missing I could relink it in a second.

Any ideas for a workaround?

I'm using Enscape 2.7.0-preview.1+15081 with Rhino 6 and having what sounds like the same issue as Orozco_Seattle.

I have a Rhino file that, when I turn on the visibility of a single object, will not render. I can tell it's not going to render (and will lock up or crash) because it doesn't stop "shimmering"... little bits of light play across reflective surfaces and the shading/shadows never appears (scene seems flat shaded). If I click "create a rendering..." the Enscape window goes black and nothing further happens. (Like Orozco_Seattle, I can see a lot of activity in Task Manager GPU monitor). I can close the window, but any attempt to restart Enscape in the same session fails (no Enscape window comes up). If I restart Rhino, Enscape will open again, but still crash if it's the same scene.

The single object was a bit of window frame. A polysurface object with 8 flat surfaces, *but* a single end point had been moved a tiny bit inwards. Rhino seemed fine with it (using the SelBadObjects command did not select this object), but displayed it with a small black triangle shooting out a short distance at a funny angle.

I raised the TdrDelay value in regedit: no effect at all.

Now for the good news: turns out my project in Rhino was about 4,000' away from the origin (0,0,0). I moved everything so 0,0,0 was the center and so far no crashes. Phew!!

[GPU: RTX 2070, latest drivers, Windows 10 etc.]

I don't know if this is the same thing, but I've had trouble with Rhino 6 extrusions. They show different material mapping on screen than in the renderings. Converting them (ConvertExtrusion) to regular (closed solid polysurfaces) fixes it.

I don't know if it's Rhino or Enscape causing this, but here's what happens: I'm working in Rhino 6, using Enscape-2.6.1-preview.1+11357. I've got about a dozen saved views, a few of them were generated by Enscape using the "save Enscape view to Rhino Named Views" function (whatever that's called). I can save the file, do whatever else, come back and click on a Named View (saved by Enscape) and it works fine. However, If I try to delete the Named View, Rhino crashes immediately. Deleting Named Views created by Rhino does not cause a crash.

Strange! :D

I just got this today for the first time! :) (black squares on glass in captured views).

I'm running a single GTX 970 with Rhino 5. Updated drivers to 419.17 maybe 3 or 4 days ago and updated to Enscape 2.4.2.2392-gfc7eee1 (build number 2.4.19053.1550).

I did have two copies of Rhino 5 open for a bit while doing the first round of captures. Noticed the black squares... scratched my head for a bit... closed both Rhino sessions. Re-opened one, restarted Enscape, re-did the captures and *most* of the squares went away. Of 8 captures that each had loads of black squares, now 2 of them have very minor light gray squares. Attaching an example of one of them with light gray squares circled.

One thing I noticed when doing the first round of captures (that had black squares in glass), was that after I clicked the capture button and then alt-tabbed over to Enscape window, I could watch the rendering progress (only a few seconds but still you can see some action!) and could see black squares popping in and out of view. In the second round (that led to just a few light gray squares) I could see things "dancing" around a bit but no black squares. Things were still happening in those squares: subtle shifts of color and shading, but never to black.

I thought maybe there were duplicate glass objects on top of each other, or normals pointing the wrong direction: checked both and found no obvious model problems. All the normals for all glass objects are pointing the same direction (outwards). I'm using solid objects for the glass, not single plane surfaces, if that makes any difference.