Posts by Gavin Pendergrast

Hi,

Is there anyway of holding a local copy of the asset library that just synchronizes with the on-line library? Not sure if its just the fact that I am on the other side of the world but I have to wait for the library to load everytime I open enscape. It is becoming frustrating.

Can there please be an option to download the assets and hold them locally.

Thanks

Hi Damien,

What is the progress on allowing us to create our own assets that can be placed as proxies. One of the biggest issues with Archicad is the number of polygons required to get awesome renders out. Our Standard house models could be between 250k & 500k and then we put a dining room table model into the scene that has 750k and archicad starts complaining. Proxies are the only way to go but limiting us to only those supplied by Enscape is frustrating. Your plants are awesome but all the little items that you would fill a house out with are limiting. For example the library of objects I use numbers in the 100's. Granted I probably don't use them all but having the ability too would be great.

Maybe there would be a way to allow us to open just the model we want to create a proxie with and add a 'save proxie' command to enscape where it can save the element in the format used for proxies. All we would need is the created enscape asset ID which we could then place as a parameter in any object in archicad.

I know I simplify things a bit but this custom proxie feature is a must if you want to compete with TwinMotions library especially now that Archicad users are going to get the updated Twinmotion for free. I still feel your lighting output is miles ahead of Twinmotion (I will have to revisit this when their raytracing system becomes available) but their materials and objects are vast as it has the unreal libraries to call upon.

Thanks Pete. I really do hate the fact that Archicad is so old & restricted. it does the 2D documentation side well so its good to use for drawing plans but it stuck in the dark ages when it comes to being open to developments like Enscape. They are still promoting the Cinerender engine as there render system in archicad when Enscape, and others, have far out developed that engine and don't get me started on model collaboration tools!

Anyway thanks for talking to your developers about it and if there is anything we can help you with in this development process then please let me know. Like I said the ability for enscape to read the values of specific parameters within an object in the scene would be the key to injecting the values needed into the Enscape engine.

Nuge , Tikos , Zenoardelean - This can only be done in plan view at present.

After talking with the developers about this, it appears that this may be problematic to implement, or at least require quiet some effort.

I have, however added this as a feature request to our developer agenda.

I agree this rotate functionality is really important when placing cars.

From a parameters perspective I would assume Enscape currently has to injest the following values to be able to place a proxy object correctly within the virtual space:

the proxy asset ID,

the rotation value in plan,

the elevation.

So I struggle to understand why the addition of 2 more rotation parameters would be 'problematic to implement'

Maybe just indicate what you want us to label the additional rotation parameters as and we can add them to the GDL parameters of the asset generated archicad object. If Enscape can read these parameters and apply them to the proxy then problem solved!

I do have a suspicion however, that the reading of the asset ID is just based on Enscape just reading the last parameter in the parameter list as opposed to actually searching for the 'enscapeAssetid' parameter and reading that. The 'enscapeAssetid' still needs to be there for the proxy to work but the actual ID parameter can be labelled as anything as long as its at the bottom of the list??

So maybe a bit more development could be spent on extracting specific parameters based on the variable name which would allow the additional rotation values to be extracted and read by enscape.....maybe this specific parameter reading could pave the way for other proxy values (like sound) to be extracted from GDL parameters, allowing us to code our own objects with a proxy sound included??

Sound proxies in archicad would be awesome. They make VR so much more immersive.

Thanks

+1 for this

Also consider when switching between renovation states it takes even longer than it does with layers.

If it takes 10 seconds with layers, it takes 45 seconds with renovation states (going from existing to new for example)

The renovation filter is slightly different in the fact that it alters the physical shape of the model elements as opposed to one big set of geometry data that is just toggled on or off based on layers. For example Enscape would need to load both the new and existing version of the same model into its engine so to be able to switch between with a visibility toggle. This would be a very cool feature though and if they develop layer control it should be possible to incorporate renovation status

It seems like the Enscape engine is built around just reading the geometry supplied to it rather than managing the geometry once loaded. Which is far enough because its already way better than anything else at doing this!

I don't think there is an issue with the engine holding the geometry in its memory, it's just the internal management of that geometry which is not something that Enscape has been built for.

Good to see others giving their upvote tho. That can only help.

Thanks Demian, I agree implementing across all CAD solution would be a good idea but surely Archicad shouldn't be a restriction to this feature. Once the model has been converted into the digital format Enscape uses, it would be far easier & no doubt more efficient, to toggle visibility from within Enscape rather than removing then reloading polygons from archicad (or trying to sync archicads layer settings). Even if the layers were just brought through from the CAD solution being used and then all the toggling was done within Enscape that would still be far quicker than what we have now. If the polygons are loaded into the Enscape engine then visibility is all that is being queried and we won't have to wait for any regeneration unless changes are being made to the model.

One of the coolest features in VR is the world being able to change right in front of your eyes so instant visibility toggle would make this a reality. Our PC's are more than capable of holding the polygons on our cards.

Thanks

I am an archicad user who uses Enscape religiously and while the visual outputs of a finished home for the clients are the icing on the cake, Enscape VR is also a very valuable tool to explain the structure of the build to contractors. As we model everything down to the joist hangers/bolts etc the VR navigation of a structure is invaluable to a contractor to get a full understanding of the layout of structural members & systems.

As a part of this process I will often jump between the final home and the structural framing views using archicads layer combinations settings. While going from full view to structural views the change is pretty quick as layers (polygons) are being removed but the reverse process takes longer as I assume it is reloading the archicad polygons into the enscape engine??

Can Enscape hold onto the polygon information of layers that have been initially loaded but then turned off in archicad? This would then mean that when the layers are turned back on again there would be no need to reload the polygons it would just be a visibility command function in Enscape. It would still need to review for changes I suppose, but in most cases where I need this functionality we are just viewing the model anyway so changes are not really happening.

Even if Enscape held a 'scene' setting which held layer selections then I could load the full model and then just select the layers for each 'scene' from within Enscape.

Obviously the Archicad model is translated into a different digital format within Enscape so I would assume turning on and off polygons would be much more efficiently done within the enscape engine. Having to adjust layers in archicad and translate the polygons to enscape every time is a bit arduous and time comsuming

Thanks

Gavin

I wish that you would just implement your own material editor and ignore the archicad basic settings. It would open up many more options that archicad just doesn't do like normal and displacement. You have a material editor for sketchup, why not archicad. Like Asado siad we pay the full price but we get a 'lite' version.

Just a query about these new cards. Is Enscape going to make use of the ray tracing & AI capability offered with these cards? Especially on the VR side of things. I realize the AI has to be built pretty deeply into software but it would be good to know if Enscape could utilize this technology and how long it would take to develop.

In VR environments running Enscape on Ultra settings creates a much more realistic view. If I was able to run ultra for my clients that would be great. At this stage the 1080 cards are still a but laggy on ultra settings so I avoid exposing new VR users to it.

Also might pay to have a think about what comes after Ultra settings as the tech is moving so fast.

When the model is scaled down in a VR environment your head movements have a much larger effect which also adds to the miniature feel. I just had a ground plane that I was in walking mode on . With the rift goggles because of the head tracking you can lean over the model or peer around it.

You can fly around a model in full scale but because your head movements are accurate to scale in that scenario even though you are looking down on the model it still feels full scale.

I will try to get a screen record done later today.

I have just scaled an entire model in down in Sketchup and it works great. This was a two storey structural model scaled down to about 1.5m high. One thing I got from the miniature effect, apart from it looking like a dolls house on sterioids, was the ability to look at and review large areas at once which will be valuable when explaining a structure to a contractor/builder. I would suggest every builder who sees a scale model in VR will love it.

Even if the Tabletop mode was just based on a simple 'scale factor' in the Enscape options, that the user could adjust, that would be fine.

If I want the model to be in a room I will just build a massive room around it to create the effect.

Kubity has a VR entrance room with a scale model but you can't get close to it which is what you tend to do with a scale model. You can jump into a location at full scale from that model view which is a pretty cool feature. I would still build my own room around the model though, so I could have it looking however I wanted it to look.

Would there be a way to apply a global scale option to our models so we can review them as miniatures at maybe 1:10 or lower scale. Maybe a room that can be walked around with the model placed on the ground or on a table in the center.

Maybe larger models could be scaled down even further to allow overview of whole developments like the old school scale models that were built in the sales office.

The horizon is always a bit of a weak point in any render, Also having a true horizon in VR can help clients understand the orientation of the design. We do a lot of designs here is NZ that have specific views of land features and being able to place the model within a wider geographical area would be awesome. I know sketchup can import sections of meshes but not wide enough to give a true outlook.

It would be great to import to enscape, as the 'horizon', a google earth mesh out to a defined radius. The placement of the mesh would be based on the log/lat of the base file and its orientation.

I'm not sure how complex the mesh is & how taxing it would be on the system but would provide that far sight reference which is cool to have in VR

The image attached doesn't really do the view justice as its a bit pixelated by the output to jpg but this is the type of long view I an referring to with a few mountains etc. The close textures look rubbish but in most cases those are not seen as they are under the local model mesh or can be hidden below a fence line.

Maybe the option is to generate a 360 image out of Google earth that can be used as the horizon. It would just show the terrain so we can still have the enscape dynamic sky above this 'horizon' line.

An idea is to have the OpenGL window as a transparent overlay to the enscape rendered window so all the click functions (hotspots etc) are controlled by the OpenGL overlay but under it is just the synced live rendered Enscape view. This would require enscape to be a little more inbuilt so I can't see them going this way in the short term but at least this setup would allow the function of the openGL 3D environment to remain unchanged.

You could have the open GL contours showing over the Enscape view.

Just a thought.

@Demian Gutberlet You may find its easier to build your own material editor for archicad rather than trying to port in the Cinerender options. With you own editor add on you will have full control of the parameters you want to use.

To be honest for the standard archicad user the Cinerender material settings are pretty full on so people just won't use them. We already have transparency so really just need a channel for bump/shine. If you want to entice archicad users you need to make it easy and with your own add-on you can do that.

The Cinerender system is now obsolete so I wouldn't expect it to hang around forever in Archicad.

A good step for enscape should be to have your system built into archicad so that it can be used as a render engine for a 3D view like we can now. See image

I know that octane have been able to build their render engine in. This way we can have preset views within archicad that are rendered with enscape.

The holy grail would be to have the main working 3d window rendered with enscape instead of the crappy open GL but that may be a push too far!

Thanks