Posts by Gavin Pendergrast

+1 for this

Also consider when switching between renovation states it takes even longer than it does with layers.

If it takes 10 seconds with layers, it takes 45 seconds with renovation states (going from existing to new for example)

The renovation filter is slightly different in the fact that it alters the physical shape of the model elements as opposed to one big set of geometry data that is just toggled on or off based on layers. For example Enscape would need to load both the new and existing version of the same model into its engine so to be able to switch between with a visibility toggle. This would be a very cool feature though and if they develop layer control it should be possible to incorporate renovation status

It seems like the Enscape engine is built around just reading the geometry supplied to it rather than managing the geometry once loaded. Which is far enough because its already way better than anything else at doing this!

I don't think there is an issue with the engine holding the geometry in its memory, it's just the internal management of that geometry which is not something that Enscape has been built for.

Good to see others giving their upvote tho. That can only help.

Thanks Demian, I agree implementing across all CAD solution would be a good idea but surely Archicad shouldn't be a restriction to this feature. Once the model has been converted into the digital format Enscape uses, it would be far easier & no doubt more efficient, to toggle visibility from within Enscape rather than removing then reloading polygons from archicad (or trying to sync archicads layer settings). Even if the layers were just brought through from the CAD solution being used and then all the toggling was done within Enscape that would still be far quicker than what we have now. If the polygons are loaded into the Enscape engine then visibility is all that is being queried and we won't have to wait for any regeneration unless changes are being made to the model.

One of the coolest features in VR is the world being able to change right in front of your eyes so instant visibility toggle would make this a reality. Our PC's are more than capable of holding the polygons on our cards.

Thanks

I am an archicad user who uses Enscape religiously and while the visual outputs of a finished home for the clients are the icing on the cake, Enscape VR is also a very valuable tool to explain the structure of the build to contractors. As we model everything down to the joist hangers/bolts etc the VR navigation of a structure is invaluable to a contractor to get a full understanding of the layout of structural members & systems.

As a part of this process I will often jump between the final home and the structural framing views using archicads layer combinations settings. While going from full view to structural views the change is pretty quick as layers (polygons) are being removed but the reverse process takes longer as I assume it is reloading the archicad polygons into the enscape engine??

Can Enscape hold onto the polygon information of layers that have been initially loaded but then turned off in archicad? This would then mean that when the layers are turned back on again there would be no need to reload the polygons it would just be a visibility command function in Enscape. It would still need to review for changes I suppose, but in most cases where I need this functionality we are just viewing the model anyway so changes are not really happening.

Even if Enscape held a 'scene' setting which held layer selections then I could load the full model and then just select the layers for each 'scene' from within Enscape.

Obviously the Archicad model is translated into a different digital format within Enscape so I would assume turning on and off polygons would be much more efficiently done within the enscape engine. Having to adjust layers in archicad and translate the polygons to enscape every time is a bit arduous and time comsuming

Thanks

Gavin

I wish that you would just implement your own material editor and ignore the archicad basic settings. It would open up many more options that archicad just doesn't do like normal and displacement. You have a material editor for sketchup, why not archicad. Like Asado siad we pay the full price but we get a 'lite' version.

Just a query about these new cards. Is Enscape going to make use of the ray tracing & AI capability offered with these cards? Especially on the VR side of things. I realize the AI has to be built pretty deeply into software but it would be good to know if Enscape could utilize this technology and how long it would take to develop.

In VR environments running Enscape on Ultra settings creates a much more realistic view. If I was able to run ultra for my clients that would be great. At this stage the 1080 cards are still a but laggy on ultra settings so I avoid exposing new VR users to it.

Also might pay to have a think about what comes after Ultra settings as the tech is moving so fast.

When the model is scaled down in a VR environment your head movements have a much larger effect which also adds to the miniature feel. I just had a ground plane that I was in walking mode on . With the rift goggles because of the head tracking you can lean over the model or peer around it.

You can fly around a model in full scale but because your head movements are accurate to scale in that scenario even though you are looking down on the model it still feels full scale.

I will try to get a screen record done later today.

I have just scaled an entire model in down in Sketchup and it works great. This was a two storey structural model scaled down to about 1.5m high. One thing I got from the miniature effect, apart from it looking like a dolls house on sterioids, was the ability to look at and review large areas at once which will be valuable when explaining a structure to a contractor/builder. I would suggest every builder who sees a scale model in VR will love it.

Even if the Tabletop mode was just based on a simple 'scale factor' in the Enscape options, that the user could adjust, that would be fine.

If I want the model to be in a room I will just build a massive room around it to create the effect.

Kubity has a VR entrance room with a scale model but you can't get close to it which is what you tend to do with a scale model. You can jump into a location at full scale from that model view which is a pretty cool feature. I would still build my own room around the model though, so I could have it looking however I wanted it to look.

Would there be a way to apply a global scale option to our models so we can review them as miniatures at maybe 1:10 or lower scale. Maybe a room that can be walked around with the model placed on the ground or on a table in the center.

Maybe larger models could be scaled down even further to allow overview of whole developments like the old school scale models that were built in the sales office.

The horizon is always a bit of a weak point in any render, Also having a true horizon in VR can help clients understand the orientation of the design. We do a lot of designs here is NZ that have specific views of land features and being able to place the model within a wider geographical area would be awesome. I know sketchup can import sections of meshes but not wide enough to give a true outlook.

It would be great to import to enscape, as the 'horizon', a google earth mesh out to a defined radius. The placement of the mesh would be based on the log/lat of the base file and its orientation.

I'm not sure how complex the mesh is & how taxing it would be on the system but would provide that far sight reference which is cool to have in VR

The image attached doesn't really do the view justice as its a bit pixelated by the output to jpg but this is the type of long view I an referring to with a few mountains etc. The close textures look rubbish but in most cases those are not seen as they are under the local model mesh or can be hidden below a fence line.

Maybe the option is to generate a 360 image out of Google earth that can be used as the horizon. It would just show the terrain so we can still have the enscape dynamic sky above this 'horizon' line.

An idea is to have the OpenGL window as a transparent overlay to the enscape rendered window so all the click functions (hotspots etc) are controlled by the OpenGL overlay but under it is just the synced live rendered Enscape view. This would require enscape to be a little more inbuilt so I can't see them going this way in the short term but at least this setup would allow the function of the openGL 3D environment to remain unchanged.

You could have the open GL contours showing over the Enscape view.

Just a thought.

@Demian Gutberlet You may find its easier to build your own material editor for archicad rather than trying to port in the Cinerender options. With you own editor add on you will have full control of the parameters you want to use.

To be honest for the standard archicad user the Cinerender material settings are pretty full on so people just won't use them. We already have transparency so really just need a channel for bump/shine. If you want to entice archicad users you need to make it easy and with your own add-on you can do that.

The Cinerender system is now obsolete so I wouldn't expect it to hang around forever in Archicad.

A good step for enscape should be to have your system built into archicad so that it can be used as a render engine for a 3D view like we can now. See image

I know that octane have been able to build their render engine in. This way we can have preset views within archicad that are rendered with enscape.

The holy grail would be to have the main working 3d window rendered with enscape instead of the crappy open GL but that may be a push too far!

Thanks

Hi ArchitectsVR ,

Not sure on the Multi GPU. I did hear they were working on something along those lines but maybe an Enscape member can give an update.

The Archicad lights should be showing in the night (I`ve had them working) although I have noticed some imported lights may not work properly. Try a few different archicad ones to see if you can get them to work.

No bump at this stage. Enscape uses the basic settings for materials rather than the Cinerender settings/images. They may map the cinerender files into Enscape or it may be easier for them to just extend the AC add-on to allow additional surface channels like they have in sketchup.

Any thoughts on this Enscape?

I am working with them currently to get the upload working. I did have other software running on there but I have since removed from their servers.

I will get an example up as soon as I can.

It does pay to have some java script knowledge when embedding in a website or link as you pay per minute for each instance that is running. Its not much $ but if a stream is left running for hours it can add up.

Thanks Thomas,

1. You are correct about the VR aspect. Its not something that would be done via the cloud for a while yet.

2. One would suspect that the types of areas/countries your enscape clients work in will have adequate internet access to receive a 1080 stream. Even way over here in NZ most of my clients and industry workers have either 4G or fibre which would be more than enough. If it is possible to do then don't let someones crappy internet connection block progress!

3. The point here is that it is possible. There are probably a few ways to make it happen & a few different ways to pay for it. At the end of the day if it can be done, then we are the ones who will pay for any processing/storage required and we will determine if its good value.

If I can provide a link to my clients that allows them to view my Enscape model on-line I would have the link everywhere. I do it with kubity but that's not even in the same league when it comes to quality. What is is however is accessible and easy.

Will keep you updated with option I can find. The X.IO system from otoy is good but I am just having some issues with there upload system and thier help center as gone on a year long holiday!

Thanks

I have come back to this post because I feel it is a missed opportunity.

Cloud based applications running from server farms is the way of the future for all software.

If you were able to connect with one of the companies running these cloud based desktop applications systems then you may be able to create a portal for enscape users to upload their .exe files and recieve a link that can be shared with others or embed the feed of the application into their web sites.

This will allow the quality of your software to be showcased on IOS and Android devices without needing to rewrite any code because its just a video stream from the server.

Native IOS or andriod apps could be built to access these cloud based .exe's and once again they are just frontage apps that stream the visuals while providing the navigation commands back to the server.

I will be investigating options available to the public and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

We do not have insights or recommendations regarding playback of Enscape in the cloud and streaming the video output. However, we realize that this is a practical problem. Thats why we work on a native web based export, which runs in your local webbrowser. It still needs a strong machine but should be much more compatible and does not require exe permissions.