Posts by Gavin Pendergrast

Would there be a way to apply a global scale option to our models so we can review them as miniatures at maybe 1:10 or lower scale. Maybe a room that can be walked around with the model placed on the ground or on a table in the center.

Maybe larger models could be scaled down even further to allow overview of whole developments like the old school scale models that were built in the sales office.

The horizon is always a bit of a weak point in any render, Also having a true horizon in VR can help clients understand the orientation of the design. We do a lot of designs here is NZ that have specific views of land features and being able to place the model within a wider geographical area would be awesome. I know sketchup can import sections of meshes but not wide enough to give a true outlook.

It would be great to import to enscape, as the 'horizon', a google earth mesh out to a defined radius. The placement of the mesh would be based on the log/lat of the base file and its orientation.

I'm not sure how complex the mesh is & how taxing it would be on the system but would provide that far sight reference which is cool to have in VR

The image attached doesn't really do the view justice as its a bit pixelated by the output to jpg but this is the type of long view I an referring to with a few mountains etc. The close textures look rubbish but in most cases those are not seen as they are under the local model mesh or can be hidden below a fence line.

Maybe the option is to generate a 360 image out of Google earth that can be used as the horizon. It would just show the terrain so we can still have the enscape dynamic sky above this 'horizon' line.

An idea is to have the OpenGL window as a transparent overlay to the enscape rendered window so all the click functions (hotspots etc) are controlled by the OpenGL overlay but under it is just the synced live rendered Enscape view. This would require enscape to be a little more inbuilt so I can't see them going this way in the short term but at least this setup would allow the function of the openGL 3D environment to remain unchanged.

You could have the open GL contours showing over the Enscape view.

Just a thought.

@Demian Gutberlet You may find its easier to build your own material editor for archicad rather than trying to port in the Cinerender options. With you own editor add on you will have full control of the parameters you want to use.

To be honest for the standard archicad user the Cinerender material settings are pretty full on so people just won't use them. We already have transparency so really just need a channel for bump/shine. If you want to entice archicad users you need to make it easy and with your own add-on you can do that.

The Cinerender system is now obsolete so I wouldn't expect it to hang around forever in Archicad.

A good step for enscape should be to have your system built into archicad so that it can be used as a render engine for a 3D view like we can now. See image

I know that octane have been able to build their render engine in. This way we can have preset views within archicad that are rendered with enscape.

The holy grail would be to have the main working 3d window rendered with enscape instead of the crappy open GL but that may be a push too far!

Thanks

Hi ArchitectsVR ,

Not sure on the Multi GPU. I did hear they were working on something along those lines but maybe an Enscape member can give an update.

The Archicad lights should be showing in the night (I`ve had them working) although I have noticed some imported lights may not work properly. Try a few different archicad ones to see if you can get them to work.

No bump at this stage. Enscape uses the basic settings for materials rather than the Cinerender settings/images. They may map the cinerender files into Enscape or it may be easier for them to just extend the AC add-on to allow additional surface channels like they have in sketchup.

Any thoughts on this Enscape?

I am working with them currently to get the upload working. I did have other software running on there but I have since removed from their servers.

I will get an example up as soon as I can.

It does pay to have some java script knowledge when embedding in a website or link as you pay per minute for each instance that is running. Its not much $ but if a stream is left running for hours it can add up.

Thanks Thomas,

1. You are correct about the VR aspect. Its not something that would be done via the cloud for a while yet.

2. One would suspect that the types of areas/countries your enscape clients work in will have adequate internet access to receive a 1080 stream. Even way over here in NZ most of my clients and industry workers have either 4G or fibre which would be more than enough. If it is possible to do then don't let someones crappy internet connection block progress!

3. The point here is that it is possible. There are probably a few ways to make it happen & a few different ways to pay for it. At the end of the day if it can be done, then we are the ones who will pay for any processing/storage required and we will determine if its good value.

If I can provide a link to my clients that allows them to view my Enscape model on-line I would have the link everywhere. I do it with kubity but that's not even in the same league when it comes to quality. What is is however is accessible and easy.

Will keep you updated with option I can find. The X.IO system from otoy is good but I am just having some issues with there upload system and thier help center as gone on a year long holiday!

Thanks

I have come back to this post because I feel it is a missed opportunity.

Cloud based applications running from server farms is the way of the future for all software.

If you were able to connect with one of the companies running these cloud based desktop applications systems then you may be able to create a portal for enscape users to upload their .exe files and recieve a link that can be shared with others or embed the feed of the application into their web sites.

This will allow the quality of your software to be showcased on IOS and Android devices without needing to rewrite any code because its just a video stream from the server.

Native IOS or andriod apps could be built to access these cloud based .exe's and once again they are just frontage apps that stream the visuals while providing the navigation commands back to the server.

I will be investigating options available to the public and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

We do not have insights or recommendations regarding playback of Enscape in the cloud and streaming the video output. However, we realize that this is a practical problem. Thats why we work on a native web based export, which runs in your local webbrowser. It still needs a strong machine but should be much more compatible and does not require exe permissions.

Teleport option is all good but if they then get 'reentered' on their current physical position then eventually they will run out of space in the room. Getting the user to physically navigate back to the initial start position keeps them contained in the space that you are doing the VR presentation in.

If you can have it's visibility as an option that would be good as you probably don't need it in fly mode. I had a white disk in my custom VR environments but a ring would be fine & maybe less intrusive in the VR view.

Hi, I have been using Enscape for VR presentations for the last 6 months + and have noticed one thing about newbies to VR navigation. They always seem to walk off the home position and then have trouble getting through doors and around furniture so I have to try and physically move them back to the home position.

When I was building my own custom VR environments I placed a disk at the base of the player capsule so the user had a virtual reference of where the real life home position was. So if they went for a bit of a walk around I could just tell them to look at the ground in VR for the 'home plate' and stand on it. This would bring them back to the point at which they started.

Now i'm not sure if this is how enscape works but if there is a player capsule type of system that creates collisions then please create an option to show a disk at the base to create a virtual home plate.

Thanks

Pleasssseeee include all the texture channels that can be loaded into the cinerender options. Normal/displacement etc etc.

I have been looking forward to this since I came across Enscape.

If you are looking for testers I would be mad keen!

Oculus want everyone to have a GO hence the low price point. They have seen the flattening of rift sales due to those who actually wanted them, now have them. They are a great device but not something everyone will have sitting on their coffee table at home like they do with phones and tablets, this is where oculus want the GO to be.

Most good site foremen will have a device onsite to help then do their job better from a communication point of view. I am just proposing that a GO will be just another device to help them build better & more efficiently.

The biggest problem is that there is a very poor level of 3D structural residential detailing here in NZ so most designers don't have an accurate model to place into a VR environment anyway!

Someone has got to start the ball rolling so I am trying to make this type of VR experience available to contractors so they can see the benefits.

We are currently using the web based 3D app Kubity to give contractors a chance to review the 3D model from their PC or using the Kubity app on their devices while onsite.

Here is a link a model we have made available through a link within the plan PDF document and also as a Q-code which can be read onsite by the app

https://www.kubity.com/p/b8r2kk

I would love to make this same model (which is uploaded using a sketchup model) available on an Oculus Go. Kubity will do this eventually but the graphics are pretty poor and they are not doing a huge amount of development so I'm not holding my breath!

Hi, I am just wondering what you guys & girls are looking at doing with the oculus go when it gets released. I have been using enscape for presentations to both the clients but also the construction crews for the projects I have been working on to give them a clear picture of the build and discuss specific areas that are hard to represent on a flat sheet of paper.

The rift is fine for the client as we are generally making changes on the PC as we go but I want the site foreman to have a VR copy on an oculus go on site that he could refer to at anytime during the build

I would love to be able to upload an enscape VR file to a cloud which could then be accessed by an app on an the oculus go so that the site foreman could have the latest VR available to him.

While enscape is great for the front end of a project (concept/design etc) it could be so much more throughout the entire project life. If you don't build and app for this type of function then we will just end up looking elsewhere to find something that would work but I would obviously much rather stick with enscape for the entire project cause its soooo much better than anything out there at the moment.

I suppose the point I am trying to make is that there is an opportunity to capture the market for the entire building process rather than just the front end. If you were to sell an app on oculus go then you would find reverse sales of enscape happening where the site foreman demands the VR model from the architect (or it become a contracted supply requirement like a set of plans) so the architect then has to purchase enscape to output the model.

If you are concerned that archicads BIMx has this covered then don't be. They talk it up, but its rubbish in VR & I don't see them making it any better anytime soon. Its like trying to move an elephant with them!

Anyway thoughts?

Hi Jonathan, How are you guys tracking with an Archicad Plugin?

I have been routing my work through sketchup for renders which is o.k. but when it comes to VR presentations with clients being above to make changes to the 3D model on the fly is something that will really help. Clients think the experience is amazing but thats just because they don't know the possibilities.

If you guys have an alpha/beta version I would love to get my hands on it. Pleeeaaaassseeee.

Can you please ensure transparency channels are possible out of archicad as plants are so much more realistic when using transparency. Through sketchup I have to use fully modeled plants which are less than ideal.

I have been using Archicad for over 10 years & while it is great for architectural modeling it is not a render package, as much as they try and talk up the cinerender system within Archicad it is slow and is being replaced with live render systems. So packages like Enscape are a perfect companion. At present we feed our models through sketchup but this does limit the texture channels available. I assume rhino can take the extra channels but I'm not in the market for a $500 rendering software when I use the Enscape output anyway.

When you do supply an add-on for Archicad can you please ensure that your system pulls through the extra channels (displacement/normal etc) that we can setup in the cinerender area of the surface settings (see attached image). I am assuming these textures/settings are accessible for you to pull though to Enscape? If not I suppose you would need to build your own material settings options as a part of an add-on.

I am a big believer that Enscape sticks to being a straight live renderer and I do all the setup work in archicad with both objects & textures. When it comes to proxies there is definitely some merit in that but base it on an 'Enscape archicad library' that you can sell seperately. Plants/lights & maybe people but I find unless they are epic models they can easily ruin an image/environment.

Happy to be a beta tester for any add-on developments on the Archicad side. I really can't wait to have a live VR feed from Archicad. It's going to be awesome!

Thanks

Not a fan of baked lighting, maybe fixed position lights can be baked but the sun needs to be dynamic, its a great feature. The whole point is to take the processing away from the users PC and do it with web servers. That way you don't have to compromise the quality of the product and could run it with ultra settings on a crappy tablet.

We are all great at critiquing aspects that most clients wouldn't even notice. I do it all the time...spending ages on something the client just walks past without even noticing!

Granted GI is important but usability, good work flow & functionality are what makes us the most profitable. I don't charge my clients extra for slightly better GI but if I am able to create images or a VR environment more quickly then it is of value to me.

I have spent a lot of time building VR environments with unreal and know the strengths of having a system based on that engine. The question is whether having a fully animated tree, a moving car or being able to make it snow is worth the extra cost of a fully featured system.

I am interested to see their pricing structure because at the moment Enscape is the best value for money especially when it includes 1 click VR.

Do check out what X.IO can do as something along those lines would be a great solution for your system. Being able to view ultra settings on any device.. anywhere. You wouldn't have to worry about a low spec solution. I will follow up on what the glitch was and embed a stream into a page for you to check out. X.IO is just browser based at present and they weren't keen on a native device app for various reasons. But if you were to build a streaming service for Enscape users, a native app for android and apple would be a must. Not sure if you have tried the Kubity app, if you had that type of access and usability with Enscape graphics....wow!