Posts by mannyl

Hello All -

I just want to share with the Enscape community a few snapshots of a lobby design for which I have prepare a series of studies. In this case I have been using the new 2.7 version to explore how the perception of the lobby space changes throughout the day, and particularly at those times when long shadows crisscross the reception space before the artificial lights kick in.

Best!

Manny

Hi Development Team,

In the past I have used other rendering applications (Lightscape, VRay and Maxwell) to address illumination exercises that come up from time to time during the course of business. Often times nice looking daylight renderings is all is needed to sell an architectural idea, but I have found, perhaps because of the nature of my business, that twilight or evening renderings are far more impactful when rendering architectural spaces designed for entertainment, hospitality and retail. When the Sun goes down people come out and the quality and perception of an urban space changes dramatically in the evening when artificial lighting takes over.

One aspect of rendering illuminated spaces that remains an industry challenge is identifying and/or sourcing the right lighting product from a rendered image. Imagine a scenario where a client is sold on the one idea based upon the look of an evening rendition of their future space, and then proceeding to select light fixtures from the vast options in the marketplace, hoping that the finished space would look as close as possible to the successful rendering. Often time, targets are missed and the final product may look very different than the imagined one.

I recently went through an exercise where the best option on LED strip lighting is so new the manufacturer does not have an IES file available but provided photometric data. Is not uncommon to find one manufacturer using lumen/ft while another uses watts/ foot or nits or foot candles. The units used to measure illumination may be all over the place and conversion is not always straightforward.

I would like to suggest the possibility of selecting multiple standard units for illumination in addition to cd/m2. Perhaps a drop-down dialog box populated with industry standard units and therefore the ability to switch from Luminance to Illuminance to Lux or even power consumption as some manufacturers prefer to identify their products.

I think the ability to do this in addition to the use of IES files would add enormous functionality to a future version of Enscape, and perhaps even the use of an extended Assent Library that may include actual functioning lighting fixtures and sources which may be provided by the lighting industry as ready made objects to be selected from online catalogs ready to use.

By the way, congrats on the new 2.7, it is fantastic!:)

I believe I have found the cause of the issue. One of the textures may have a formatting error or something embedded that caused the Enscape Materials dialog to malfunction.

When I replaced the suspecting texture the issue went away.

The visual queue was that the culprit texture kept disappearing from the Enscape viewport, then reappearing by itself.

Hello All,

I frequently use Enscape to generate evening views, what we call in the retail design and entertainment industry "magic hour" renderings. Generally the tools currently available under Escape Objects are sufficient to render excellent twilight renderings of animated and heavily populated commercial scenes for this market segment.

In the last few weeks though, I have been asked to explore accurate renditions of outdoor areas mainly illuminated with a variety of LED strip lighting fixtures. I have noticed that of the Enscape Objects toolset only the spotlight elements offer the ability to attach IES files.

So my question has two parts:

1 - Has anyone been in this situation and somehow come up with an accurate workaround?

2 - Are there any plans to expand the Enscape Objects toolset to include the ability to assign IES files to Line or Rectangle lighting objects, or even better, include LED strips as another category of lighting objects?

Your contribution is greatly appreciated.

Best!

Manny

Hello Enscape Team,

At Fugleberg Koch we are currently working on remodeling an area of our building to create a Design Lounge. One of the many activities we are planning and would like to host at this new space will be architectural VR presentations as well as learning and training sessions for our employees as well as others in the area who might be interested in attending.

As we develop our physical space and activities program it occurred to me that we would like to have a conversation with your representative for this area, Orlando, Florida, if you have one.

We are making a significant investment in the design lounge and the equipment necessary to provide great client experiences during the design and development process, and Enscape is one key component among the tools we use to this effect.

Please let me know who I can contact to get this conversation started.

Thanks!

Manny

tobiasolsen Thank you Tobias for your passionate advocacy in favor of the Oculus Rift S. Quite a lot of people agree with you, particularly on the cost/features ratio.

However in real life some people like their coffee bitter while others like it sweet :), and yet others don't like coffee at all.

I appreciate your point of view. It is very helpful for my evaluation.

Kaj Burival - Thank you Kaj and guys for your feedback. Looks like the Oculus Rift S is tops regardless of the lower refresh rate and non-detachable head banding (for cleaning).

Are you able to guesstimate a possible timeframe for Enscape engineering to provide full compatibility with HTC Vive Cosmos? Based on previous experience would you say it may take 3 months, 6 months or more than a year?

The Oculus Rift S is inexpensive enough that we could start there and upgrade to HTC once full Enscape compatibility becomes available.

Hillmeister - Out of curiosity, is your P73 fitted with a standard Quadro 5000 or the RTX version of the same type? The reason I ask is because we recently upgraded my workstation to RTX Quadro 4000 and most of the time it is awesome, but every now and then it does something unexpected with Enscape. I guess RTX technology/compatibility has to be flushed out a bit more.

Hello everyone!

We have just ordered a Lenovo workstation laptop P73 with all the trimmings and are ready to order a professional grade VR headset to go with it.

I wonder what is your experience with HTC Vive Pro versus HTC Vive Cosmos? What is the timeline for the Enscape support team to provide full compatibility with the Vive Cosmos?

In your professional opinion would you wait until the Cosmos is fully supported or simply order a tried and true Vive Pro?

Some people in the office strongly recommend to stay with Oculus Rift. Is the Oculus line fully supported by Enscape at this time?

Your comments and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mannyl - if that is happening with version 2.6, and not 2.6.1, then that may simply be that you are running out of memory. I'll take a look at the logs and get back to you.

It is possible. I was running:

2 SketchUp Pro 2019

2 Enscape 2.6.0

1 Revit session with at least 3 levels open

1 Autocad Architecture 2018

1 Bluebeam Revu 2018

1 Microsoft Outlook 2010

32 GB DDR4-2400 RAM is not what it used to be.

Pete Chamberlain Hi Pete, I just sent you another detailed feedback. My whole system locked up and crashed spectacularly last night while running 2 SketchUp + Enscape sessions and copying and moving lights in a night scene.

In the meantime my workaround is to leave Enscape for the final rendering stage or just run it momentarily to check my progress and then close it until ready to render. That seems to work around this stability issue. I am also running only one session at a time.

I eagerly wait what your team may discover and look forward to a more permanent solution.

mannyl - can you first submit some logfiles to us via the Enscape Feedback button, and then also try and downgrade to this previous Enscape version and see if that resolves the issue for you. If it does, can you also please let me know?

Thank you Pete! This issue is now formally reported. We will proceed with downgrading to the previous version of Enscape and will let you know how that goes.