Posts by mannyl

I saw a posting by benjaminriendeau of a gym, where there are a couple of TV panels on a wall. This may already be a feature in Enscape, I don't know, but I wonder if simulated TV programming could be shown on the TV screens. For example animated GIF's or even embedded short videos, or slide shows.

That would be a killer effect for animations of retail spaces for example, where a menu may be shown on an overhead screen and you could see how it changes graphics. Or a hotel lobby where a video wall may show some amazing animated images of travel adventures and exploration.

If this is already a feature in Enscape, please let me know where to go for information on how to use this feature.

Thanks!

Since my work involves mix-use development where we see large crowds, people out and about, people shopping, coming and going, etc., and since the Asset Library is proving to be such a great source of ready-to-render entourage material, perhaps even a substitute for other third-party sources, in the future perhaps we could place requests for specific assets directly from the Asset Library.

For example, this relates to my architectural workflow and may not be valid for others, but as I develop an architectural concept in SketchUp, I find great time savings in just using the Asset Library instead of navigating to my Form Fonts or 3D Warehouse repositories. I am more productive if I do not have to leave my SKP/Enscape environment to search for content. So it would be very useful to be able to place new asset requests directly from the Asset Library dialog.

Other categories I would like to see in the future are:

People shopping, carrying bags

People on mobile devices

People conversing with other people

People taking selfies

People pointing at things

People greeting each other

People far in the background - these could be groups of 2D people with almost no features, just large crowds far away in the distance.

People walking their pets

People playing sports

People calling other people with their arms

People sitting at restaurants, park benches

Domestic animals

Thanks!

I appreciate all the valuable information you guys have offered. These will come in handy when explaining color variations/discrepancies to clients.

Another positive point from this discussion is that I can use Enscape to "test" selected colors under various atmospheric and lighting conditions. This will help clients better understand color and material choices and I am sure it will promote some lively discussions.

Thank you both for the feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I would like to pose the question in a different way, if I may. I understand color theory and the physics involved in color reproduction, and I do not disagree with both your observations and recommendations.

That said, as an architect who deals daily with clients of very different levels of sophistication and experience, I find with great frequency perceptual discrepancies between colors selected and specified from manufacturer's catalogs and specifications, and the same color rendition on a digital image or printed material.

From a client's perspective the expectation is that a chosen color from a manufacturer resource should render or reproduce as close as possible to the sample. This is not in itself an unreasonable request.

Technical explanations of lighting conditions and atmospheric effects on color rendition are usually met with the same reply, they do not care and just want their buildings to look like the colors and materials they approved. I understand that is not your problem, but it is mine and I am only looking for practical solutions.

For example, if we compare the bottom two images, the SketchUp view and the Enscape rendering, please notice how similar the stone tile looks on both, and how colors both left and right of the protruding bay in the center look pretty close, yet the "beige" color of the center bay rendered "off white" in Enscape. So this tells me that on the same scene, and given the same lighting and atmospheric conditions, some colors render close to their intended look and others depart significantly. Even colors belonging to the same family.

I am just trying to understand why this is so.

My approach is to split the 2D color elevations for approvals, and construction coordination from the rendering material, but that does not stop people from wishing that color matching could be more easily accomplished in renderings as well.

The photographic quality of Enscape’s renderings is no doubt amazing, but there are certain situations where a higher degree of color accuracy is demanded. I am not suggesting Enscape color rendition may be inaccurate, rather that under certain atmospheric parameters light reflecting/refracting off surfaces alters the look and feel of colors and finishes. It’s just the nature of the physical world.

In such circumstances “eyeballing” techniques may not do, particularly when dealing with real world buildings and client expectations that specified finishes, colors and textures, be as accurate as approved, based upon reviewed renderings and other graphic materials. This is not an unreasonable expectation.

There are different sets of requirements when producing renderings for publication and marketing materials, than when utilizing renderings as a tool for selecting and evaluating what a physical structure may look like when finished and open for business. If something is intended to look green it should not look white on a rendered image, it should look reasonably accurate as intended.

I wonder if it would be possible to develop a feature similar to photographic filters, for example, neutral, polarizing, graduated, and colors gels, that could be used to adjust color renditions in those circumstances when natural light simulation may alter how a color may be rendered.

I understand these issues may be resolved by post processing techniques, but it would be very cool and time saving if post processing could be skipped altogether by making the necessary adjustments on the fly, like professional photographers used to do.

Hello,

I am working on a project that requires a fair level of color accuracy. I am using SketchUp Pro 2017 and Enscape 2.5.1 with default settings.

Please see sample color below. This is an existing building we are trying to match the wall colors to our new design.

The following is a screenshot of the new concept as it looks in the SketchUp viewport. Notice the similarity (not exactly the same, but close) of the protruding facade bay with the sample image.

The next image is the same view rendered with Enscape. Please notice how much lighter the gray/pale green color renders. It is more off white than the sample color.

In general, I have notice that the Enscape colors tend to shift towards red, producing a brownish tint that in this particular case is not the effect we are looking for.

The RGB values are the same on both SketchUp and Enscape, and I am not using any custom settings. All settings are default values. My monitors, HP Z24n are set to default settings as well.

The date/time of the scene is set to June 21 at 2:00 PM, and the Enscape Color Temperature is set to 6600 K.

Any ideas/suggestions (other than Photoshop) on how to match SKP color to Enscape rendering?

Thanks!

I think it would work best as a separate tray or container a-la-Photoshop for example. So we could open only the ones we need at the moment and collapse those we may need at some other time. But the tools/settings/Assets/Materials are always just one click away.

AutoCAD for example has three or four "Tabs" that collect to the left or right side of your screen, and expand only when you mouse hovers revealing all the necessary adjustment options for each one toolbox category.

When you are in the middle of designing a site or a building complex the last thing you want to do is having to click two or three times to find the tool you need (especially late at night after a long day).

Demian,

If we put our entrepreneurial thinking hats on, this is the kind of feature Enscape could charge for as a separate "add-on" or even a separate subscription fee. Imagine "Enscape Pro" the industry specific versions of Enscape.

An industry specific and targeted product that addresses the complexities of lighting for the retail design, theater productions, entertainment events, nightclub lighting design, etc.

Combined with Enscape ease of use this could be a killer addition.