Posts by renderwiz

I would like to request a new rendering quality level called Print Resolution.

The Enscape team could then provide appropriate optimization levels for that purpose.

Render time budget could easily be 10x the current realtime targets... maybe even higher.

Rationale:

Currently the optimizations for Grass do not change as we increase resolution. If we are not given the ability to manually control these, they should be adjusted appropriately when rendering at Print Resolutions. A level of detail (LOD) that looks acceptable at Screen Resolutions cannot simply be rendered with more pixels, and therefore seen more clearly, without also providing a higher LOD geometry, etc. It is like trying to render 8 bit sprites at 8k... not a good idea. There are certainly other optimizations with generally fall into this same category as well, such as Shadow Maps, Reflections Maps, etc.

As it is now, we get to the end of a great realtime review, everyone is happy, and then they ask for Print Resolution boards for final presentation. However we then realize what looked great onscreen is just getting enlarged and doesn't looks so great with closer scrutiny. We know from experience what it is like to have an audience get close and look at the details of a large format print. Most professionals are not going to put their name on a rendering in which inappropriate optimizations such as this are glaringly obvious, so we end up spending a lot more time in post (the ultimate workaround) fixing stuff that could easily be handled with code and would have required a few minutes longer to render.

Print Resolution mode would simply be another option in addition to Ultra which includes non-realtime level of detail.

Ultra Quality would always be available if high quality realtime speed is desired.

Thanks!

Has the distance been reduced at which the grass fades out / becomes less dense?

I am seeing it disappear before the front of a building for a home sized rendering project.

For VR and animation this might look ok, but for print resolution output it is not acceptable.

I often save a 32bit EXR along with the 8bit PNG or JPG.

Currently, I have to re-render in order to save the same image also as 32 bit.

I would like either:

1) the ability to check more than one output type

2) a checkbox like Material ID, for "32 bit output"

Thanks!

Enscape dialogue boxes with Sketchup do not allow for Alt Tab to work properly. When I Alt Tab back to Sketchup I see an icon for each Enscape dialogue box open. None of these activate the Sketchup session only the Enscape dialogue box. I must manually minimize whatever window is above sketchup to see it. If I close all Enscape dialogue boxes it works properly. It seems to happen when the dialogue box has focus... If the rendering window has focus it does not seem to occur.

I have been pulling my hair out as I Alt Tab a LOT while working.

Thanks!

I was going to ask how to save settings in 2.6.0-preview.7+10506, and finally found it.

It is in Visual Settings above Rendering | Image | Atmosphere |Capture in Visual Settings... click on the word Presets.

It currently looks like a title for that dialogue box... maybe that could be make more clear?

Thanks!

I was about to create a request for a proper Changelog and found this post. Perhaps this is the appropriate place to make this comment, please advise.

The current "Version History" reads more like a "What's New". It primarily addresses new features or improvements. but is silent on minor changes .

There are typically several additional minor changes that go into each update than is listed in the Version History which nonetheless impact the look for a rendering created with a previous version.

Would it be possible to have detailed view of Version History?

Thanks!

This is a problem for me currently as well. I have a project nearing the final stages of presentation for which I must use aggressive post production denoising techniques (which take MUCH longer than any extra render time I would have to wait for) I have even toyed with multiple render output and averaging them in post to remove noise. The problem is that this type of artifact is inconsistent with Enscape... sometimes reflections are not noisy and it is hard to predict.

I posed a solution several months back which I am certain would not require significant effort. If one zooms into a problem area, like the one Micha pointed out, and renders a cropped version of the scene, this type of artifact is generally much better. It also improves on shadow glitches. If we can render tiled images with some overlap, this would be a quick workaround for those times when artifacts like this are not acceptable, or when higher resolutions are needed. These tiles could be composited outside of enscape automatically, such as in photoshop, or ice.

Yes, this absolutely hinders my workflow. I am very surprised to hear this is not being fixed. I have been unable to achieve the exposure I wanted on at least 2 exterior renderings in recent months.

Are their any workarounds (such as typing in a specific exposure level) ?

If there is a need for a type of "Low Exposure Mode" (logarithmic scaling for the slider?) so that setting low exposures are more sensitive, why not allow us to manually turn on/off such a "Low Exposure Mode" mode rather than force it to be automatic and compromise the middle range of exposure?

...you can colour code your assets....

Gadget I have tried this method of customizing the "proxy box" only to have them reset to the original simple box. It seems to be related to when Enscape reloads the proxy, definitely if the proxy changes (ie. adjusting a material on the proxy, which I do a lot) but possibly at other times. This also seems to affect the AW Proxy representation. Have you found a method to make these types of custom proxy representations be persistent? Or do you experience these type of issues as well?

Thanks!

Has the following UI issues been resolved in 2.6? I want to make sure before I make a request.

1. Resizable Settings / Material UI

2. Proper Focus for Settings / Material UI (I have found in <=2.5 the Settings / Material Editor will not give back focus to the other windows and remains on top. )

Thanks!

I would like an indication of proxy direction and what file is being referenced.

It could be a simplified version similar to your library but not necessary to be even that complex.

Colors or arrows can indicate direction.

Text with the filename or including the file thumbnail could indicate source.

Thanks!

How about allow us to "whitelist" objects to always reflect.

That way, the user is clear choosing to take a performance hit.

We would also be able to adjust oir model to maximize performance using this method.

where is the other half of the curtain?

Obviously they are tweaking the optimization of reflections for what they consider to be acceptable performance.... using either a set distance or algorithm to determine what distance to fade from a more detailed to less detailed version of reflection.

Until we are allowed to control these distances ourselves this will be an ongoing issue... even the best programmer can't predict what the optimum distance will be for a scene.

Here is the biggest problem with this approach... it is unpredictable. Long time users (ie. the Enscape "pros" in the office and the ones who recommended Enscape to their boss) are going to repeatedly get burned by this type of thing.