Posts by renderwiz

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape (including installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed here. Thank you for your understanding.

Micha Thanks for being so helpful with the suggestions. I understand your concern about having to remember settings in the ini file, but if we are going to ask for an "Expert Option" in the UI, we should be able to work with whatever tools we are provided ;) I usually keep notes, screenshots, etc, about my successes so that I can reproduce them later, even with the current UI.

I would disagree about using text files as being a problem for setting expert options. The current settings XML system is quite nice and could be expanded to allow for options not available via the sliders (higher quality MP4 compression, sharpness, etc) This text based approach allows for a very easy method of organizing multiple setting options/versions without having to open each and change them via sliders. I typically have a separate settings file for each scene of my project, and currently I can edit those same files via the UI, or via a text editor. This allows for us to backup the entire settings folder, try new stuff via UI, even search and replace within the XML files, and then revert any scene settings if needed. If we really screw something up, we could even pull an old settings file from a cloud backup such as carbonite. Try that with vray settings that you forgot to save to a file.

On the subject of settings via text options... I personally love the material tag names as a baseline for materials settings. It is a very quick way of implementing preset materials. If we could have the ability to define custom material tags, it would be an ideal system in my opinion.

Clemens, there does not appear to be a way to remove http://www.enscape3d.com from the window name of the standalone viewer (top left side of the viewer window... opposite the close button on the right side) I believe that is what the OP was asking. He seems to be looking for a way to make it completely white label. It is my understanding this is not possible. Is this correct?

If we had the option to change the scaling of the uv for water it would be a big help. Being able to make your predefined texture(s) larger would allow us the ability to minimize tiling in some cases.

If adjusting uv is an issue, another tactic would be to set the default scale to 2 to 4 times the size it is currently. Then you could provide a few different normal maps with waves at dfferent scales. This would also be a big improvement.

I have seen similar effects with coincident geometry. It doesnt even have to be exactly in the same plane. If it's close this effect seems to occur at a certain distance.

Macker How many frames are you rendering, and how quickly are you hoping to get them done?

I have had a different experience.... for me the speed of Enscape has finally removed the need to use network rendering / render farm, which has always been a hassle for me anyway. Once we have an unattended batch render function (to allow multiple animation segments to rendering one after another) a single computer rendering frames will be all the "farm" I need when using Enscape. I am talking about rendering approximately 3000 - 6000 frames and for me it is acceptable to render these over a few days.

I am sure they are making great progress as well, and have done a great job on the plugin overall. I am only point out that they are obviously not interested in implementing a simple material solution for Sketchup. To anyone who is currently holding their breath waiting for a usable material system for Sketchup, don't expect it to be done anytime soon.

Simon Weinberger ...Enscape already has a material system for Sketchup which you guys developed (Tags/keywords within material names)

Several people have taken their time on this forum to suggest ways to leverage that functionality for more advanced material editing in Sketchup, but apparently these are not being developed.

Here's another idea for how to do keywords..... Multiple keywords with a percent attached at the end.

MaterialName Tran55 Refl75 Emis19

An expanded tag based method would have the added benefit of being usable regardless of the host program and could be used in conjunction with a UI based method. This would allow you to deploy a basically functional plugin to new host programs quicker, and eventually make it seamless with their material system.

So many simple solutions are possible, but I think the only path that is being considered for Sketchup is the Full Material System that keeps being mentioned... which obviously takes significant time. Hearing that such basic functionality for Sketchup is "on the radar" when coding time is being devoted to other plugin's material systems is not reassuring.

Solo ... be careful with the emissive materials in animation... they seem to experience random "pops" in intensity during movement, so just make sure you test before going that route if that type of error is unacceptable. I attempted to use for faking storefront illumination and it did not go well

could lead to pretty bad results if used wrong 8o.

That can be said about Enscape as it is now ;) or any tool really....

I am concerned that my description may have made it seem more complicated than it is.

The final material editor could look "exactly" like your current settings controls (sliders for settings). The xml files never need to be seen/edited by any user, and are exactly like what your current settings UI produces. Seems about as dead simple as it gets.

Thank you for passing it along.

I would like to be able to define custom keywords for materials. Below is an idea for a material system that would do that. I believe this would work well with sketchup or any other package and is based on your current UI and code.

In this system we would be able to define material "keywords" just like we currently define rendering "settings". Each time we adjust material settings and click "save as new keyword" enscape creates an xml file with that name in a directory "materials". Any new xml files in that directory would make a new "keyword" available to Enscape just as the settings files do now.

You could include the standard keywords that you provide as xml files in the materials directory. If we make changes to the default definitions, and click "save", or edit those xml files directly, we would override the default definitions.

What is nice about this approach is that it would allow for organic growth from what is going on now. You could implement at first without any material UI... just provide the functionality to have enscape look for xml files in the "materials" directory. Doing this would give you time to develop a robust/simple UI for the material editor, while still providing users with the means to create great imagery with your product. In the end, having the ability to edit materials both via UI or a text based workflow would be great for flexibility / productivity and would set your product apart from the competition.

Below is an example of an xml structure similar to your existing settings file that could work.

<!--Basic Settings-->

<Reflection>25</Reflection>

<Opacity>55</Opacity>

<Roughness>75</Roughness>

<Emissivity>15</Emissivity>

<IOR>1.2343</IOR>

<Etc>55</Etc>

<Etc>55</Etc>

<!-- Advanced Settings / Maps / Etc -->

<ReflectionMap>\relativedirectory\image.ext</ReflectionMap>

<ReflectionMap>\relativedirectory\image.ext</Reflection>

<OpacityMap>\relativedirectory\image.ext</OpacityMap>

<RoughnessMap>\relativedirectory\image.ext</RoughnessMap>

<EmissivityMap>\relativedirectory\image.ext</EmissivityMap>

<EtcMap>\relativedirectory\image.ext</EtcMap>

<EtcMap>\relativedirectory\image.ext</EtcMap>

Nviz,

I agree that it would be ideal to be able to save the "start and stop" positions for animated segments. I do have a suggestion for how that could be implemented easily.

As it is now, we can save duration, interpolation, etc to the render settings file. All that would need to be added for this additional feature to be implemented, would be to also save the start and stop position in the settings/xml file. This way each animated scene could be saved as a separate settings file and then rerendered exactly as revision are made to the model.

As a bonus, if a subsequent feature would allow a batch rendering of multiple "setting files" in sequence, we would be all set for a fairly automated production pipeline.

Chris

In sketchup, it would be very helpful to be able to specify a segment of an animation path. Such as a beginning frame number and an ending frame number (any reproducible method would be fine)

This is useful both for fixing a portion of an animation and for debugging glitches. I have a specific frame in a 10 second animation path that has a rendering glitch. Currently I have to rerender the entire segment each time i make an adjustment to see if I have fixed it.

The ideal would be to also allow saving to a sequence of images as then we could just replace those frames that were an issue.

Thank you,

Chris

Just noticed that Skybox data within a setting file seems to remain even after the checkbox is turned off. It would be good to flush that data when unchecking the Skybox checkmark. If not possible, please allow us to change the location for the settings files so they can be moved off the system drive to allow for storage management of system drives

Considering that HDRs are likely going to be a large source of data duplication for Enscape, allowing external referencing for that data would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

What do you mean by roll out settings? Not sure when this would be applicable?

Here are some benefits for directly editing the xml files...

1. Backup. I have already screwed up a setting more than once by clicking 'save' instead of 'save as'.

2. Precise input. Call me ocd, but I would like to be able to set my duration for an animation to exactly 10 seconds and currently this is not very convenient with the slider.

3. Repeatability. If I want to make sure that two presets are using the exact same settings, except for duration for example, I can copy and paste all at once.

4. Speed. I can create 10 presets with very specific variations quickly... I can change one settings among 30 presets quickly.

5. etc, etc.

Basically, once I learned the location of your xml settings it occurred to me that you already have the "expert mode" I was requesting in another post. I was hoping to explore that a bit and report back my findings when I ran into this snaffu. I do have a workaround by using a different text editor with a higher size limit on the text file, but editing that huge file is not convenient. Would be ideal if those files could also be referenced to a location outside the xml file.

Thank you,

Chris

I was attempting to directly edit the setting files and ran into a problem with settings that use custom HDRs. Those xml files are huge and are locking up my text editor. Can those xml files just reference the external file instead?

Thank you,

Chris