Posts by rifkin

Maybe also try reexporting form a newer version.

I re-exported from v3.3 and yes, things seem to be performing better by roughly 10 fps.

Also:

- the distortion correction makes a huge difference. It still doesn't feel 100% "locked in" compared to other headsets, but nearly so.

- The quality settings in the Varjo portal make a significant difference (+/-20fps.) On "low" I found framerates to be similar to the Vive Pro, but the Varjo still looks better. So there are plenty of options to play around with and fine-tune.

2.) I unfortunately got HTC Vive controllers, but not the blue ones. (Mistake #1. I have fixed and gotten the blue controllers instead. After more research this was my mistake in not reading instructions carefully enough.)

The other option is to get v1 base stations to use with the "old" controllers. Varjo works with either. Honestly I find the old base stations to be a little less fussy.

- I also think creating a new preset should duplicate from the active preset, not create one with the default settings ...

This is just bizarre behavior. Hitting the "big orange button" should imply that you are saving things the way you are currently seeing them. NOT "change everything" and make me wonder WTF just happened to all the settings I have been tweaking.

What type of framerates were you getting? This might depend on the model you were viewing .. or not. My Aero arrives on Monday I believe. Glad to hear the Vive paddles worked for you! As I said above, I will be testing the older, regular Vive controllers.

The model certainly affect things. These weren't super complex. I use fpsVR to check frame rates in the models, and also benchmarked w/ OpenVR. Open to other tools/suggestions. For comparison on the same system:

- Aero: OpenVR-31 | Model 1 (high) -54 | Model 2 (high) -32

- Vive Pro: OpenVR-71 | Model 1 (high) -88 | Model 2 (high) -51

Running on a 3090 as well, but currently on the Index headset. You should be able to get decent framerates on the 3090, but in my experience you have to use specific Enscape settings that work better for VR. ...

Files are .exe exported from v2.9, so none of the advanced RTX features. No grass/carpet/moving vegetation. I had quality set to High for comparison to other systems/headsets I've benchmarked. But I should check the difference on Medium; I can play with it more tomorrow. There are also quality settings in the Varjo console that I did not get into at all.

My main concern is finding the best experience for clients, who have generally have little experience w/VR. So you don't want to make them nauseous, but you want the highest possible quality to best represent the design. Someone who uses it regularly can look past the limitations, learn to not move too quickly, etc. So headset choice for a design tool might be different than for a presentation tool.

I have an Aero on loan for a few days. Enscape works fine, I paired it with Vive paddles. But I think Enscape struggles with optimizing for VR on the fly, and the headset is obviously super demanding. Framerates were not good even on a 3090. On the other hand a custom Unity.exe worked great.

There is distortion at the edges that I found to be somewhat distracting, I see there is an experimental distortion correction I wasn't aware of; I'll have to try it. The clarity is of course stunning, and makes it hard to back to anything else, but as with all headsets there are trade-offs.

Do you have Rtx card with Enabled ray-tracing option ?

I don't know that the RTX features have any effect on reflections. I did some quick comparisons between 2.9 and 3.3 - 2.9 actually rendered mirrors better. Maybe for those who need mirrors - try in 2.9 and see if you get different results. Checking the various RTX boxes didn't seem to change much in either version.

I know reflections have been touched on a lot here, but I was specifically comparing the difference from 2.9 to 3.3 as we prepare to upgrade our firm. I'm trying to anticipate issues our users are going to run into as they open their "old" 2.9 files to render in 3.3. I was a bit shocked at how different they are. 2.9 did a much better job of reflecting the important elements (lockers, shelves in the distance.) 3.3 seems to be dropping the far wall and lockers in the reflection.

I tried various combinations of RTX on/off in both with no significant differences. Render quality was "ultra" in both. This is not a complicated scene, nowhere near maxing the VRAM. (I'm trying not to mention the reflected "invisible" light sources, but that needs to be fixed if at all possible.)

It's probably a moot point now, but at a minimum, could we have the option to render in "legacy" mode or something like that to maintain continuity? I understand the difficulties in creating real-time reflections, but I don't understand how things can get worse from one version to another. Can we have some sort of control over the reflections? Culling/clipping distance for what is included maybe?

It would just be amazing to be able to switch from Enscape to Vray seamlessly without having to redefine all the materials, lights etc...

Yes, it is super frustrating to have to choose an engine and stick with that. With Enscape and Chaos under the same roof, the ability to at least read each other's materials and assets would be something that should be tackled sooner than later imho.

Just noticed "Air Conditioner 003" does not render w/Enscape 2.9. Does not seem to matter if I use the Online library or our downloaded backup. 2.9 shows a white box for the preview, but nothing in the rendering. Version 3.3 renders it as expected. I've tried on several PCs and cleared the Enscape cache in %appdata%

We don't need that asset specifically, but my concern/question is if there are other assets that may not show up in 2.9? Is there any reason for there to be a disparity between versions? Is this related to the recent library update? We expect to transition to 3.3 soon, but in cases where people need to revise renderings created using 2.9 we need to be able to roll back and duplicate the results exactly, if assets go missing it would be a problem.

any other recommandations apart from the non working Oculus for Business....

- Valve Index has the nicest build quality and most adjustability for easily handing off between multiple users. IPD, lens distance (helpful for those w/glasses,) spring-loaded headband with a dial in the back. Similar to Vive Pro functionally, but does everything with less bulk and easier adjustments. Controllers are not ideal for Enscape, I would pair it with Vive paddles. Other headsets have somewhat higher visual clarity, but that comes with more demand on the GPU. There will always be a tradeoff between frame rate and resolution. This would be my pick for general office use where you can leave it set up with base stations.

- HP Reverb G2 is an easy set-up with inside-out tracking, but requires running Windows Mixed Reality in addition to Steam. If you just let Windows "do it's thing" it works fine but adds another layer to mess with. If you have an IT department managing Windows updates it can be a problem. Hardware is based on the Index but they left out some of the adjustability. Was best-in-class resolution when it came out, but other headsets have eclipsed it. The clarity is still impressive, I think it has a somewhat lesser FOV so the display is denser.

- Was not impressed with the Vive Pro 2 - the upgrade over the Vive Pro did not seem significant, it is more demanding on the hardware for not much benefit, and requires installing Vive Portal (another layer of software in addition to Steam.) Whereas the Vive Pro just works w/Steam drivers.

- Oculus ecosystem wins points for ease of setup, the Rift S was great. Not needing Steam was a plus. but imho the transition to Facebook makes it a non-starter for a workplace; that may or may not be something you are concerned with. The single-cable tethering with the Quest is nice when it works but I've found the USB-C connection to be fussy, even with their official cable.

- If you can wait for delivery times on the Varjo Aero, the clarity makes it difficult to go back to any other headset. The FOV is less than ideal though.

Sorry to say there is no one best solution, much of it depends on your priorities and what hardware you have available to drive the headsets. Enscape does not do as well with framerates in VR as a game designed explicitly for VR, so the highest-spec GPU you can get your hands on will always help.

Support for Oculus for Business has ended. Future business support to be announced. https://business.oculus.com/

Evolving from Oculus for Business to Quest for Business

"Work Accounts will provide a new way to log in to Quest 2 with a work profile instead of your personal Facebook account.... We plan to offer open beta releases in 2022, where we’ll gather feedback and fine-tune Quest for Business before launching the solution for general availability in 2023."

Thanks for the link, sounds promising but it doesn't help much in the near future....

Oculus Quest 2 (Wired). Glad to jump on a call and discuss preferences.

Do you suggest enterprise customers use the Quest 2 for Business edition? And does that work with Enscape?

The Facebook login requirement on Oculus is a nightmare with shared headsets in a professional environment.

We have been getting reports of Revit 2022 slowness and crashing/freezing since installing Enscape 3.2. It doesn't seem like Enscape even needs to necessarily be open for Revit to choke up. Pretty random so far so it's tough to replicate. (checking driver versions, etc.) These are on PCs being accessed via Microsoft remote desktop. We have had great success using 2.9 in this environment but Revit 2022 forced the Enscape upgrade.

Mainly what I'm wondering is if anyone has been using Enscape 3.2 frequently over remote desktop (either in general and/or specifically with Revit 2022.)

Thanks turning off the Hardware accelerate Ray Tracing fixed the issue. I'm not sure where I can see if it see's both cards in Enscape. The task manager shows 1-7 % only of one GPU being used. It shows the Dedicated GPU Memory only at 24 GB? Could that be the problem?The shared GPU is 128 GB. When I turn the RTX feature back on it crashes and I get a TDR has beeen detected error form the Nvidia OpenGL Driver. The performance never went above 4% in the Task Manager. On the Nvidia website it says you can increase the timeout value in the Windows registry. Has anyone tried that?

If you open the side panel on the PC, are the cards connected with the NV link bridge? (the square piece in the image.) This is probably irrelevant, as Enscape won't use them both anyway, but I'm curious how Lenovo is configuring them. Unsure if Windows would report 24 or 48GB if they are linked.

For GPU usage, I've found task manager to not be all that accurate. Download something like GPU-Z. In the Sensors tab you can see the memory usage. There is a pulldown at the bottom to switch between the GPUs. (or if you open two copies of GPU-Z, you can have one monitoring each GPU.)

Does the TDR crash happen instantly? Or after how long? I went digging into the timeout settings at one point but don't recall the outcome. I've seen scenes processing for 15 minutes, and still eventually work. I'd really try installing a slightly older driver for the next step before changing the TDR.

I'm 99% certain that second GPU is going to be doing nothing. If you were doing something like GPU rendering with VRay it would be utilized. But I've not seen anything that indicates Enscape can take advantage of multiple GPUs.

I'd almost wonder if the error is due to Enscape getting confused by having the 2nd GPU in there.

You might actually try installing slightly older drivers; there has been some mention on here of people having issues with the latest ones.

The problem is that if items are stored on the C drive of the student's computer, the path will always incorporate their unique username in Windows 10!
    With other drives that's not a problem.

If they are saving into C:\WORK\whatever the path will be the same regardless of the PC. It's only if they are saving onto the desktop or into a documents folder that the username would be part of the path.

The question would be if the school IT policy allows them to write anywhere outside their user folder. In which case it could probably be amended to give them write access to a specific folder on the hard drive outside of their user folder.

rifkin , in such a case we simply always recommend acquiring the Asset Library offline once, which will then help with the thumbnail loading, substantially actually. Or are you referring to a different "preview"?

I am referring to the thumbnail preview. We have an offline backup and were preparing to distribute that to users before this was fixed.

The issue is, we have some people working on systems at home, some remoting into a dedicated workstation, and some remoting to shared workstations. There isn't an ideal solution for all scenarios. We have had 100 unique users over the course of a month. A network location does not work for home users - the thumbnails are even worse to populate over VPN. Of course a local path is ideal, but we then need to be sure we update libraries on all those machines when you release updates.

Even in the office (from a network location), the previews take a strangely long time to populate. I've posted on this here:

How to assign the folder path of Offline Enscape Asset Library via Registry or Configuration file - Bug | Error Reports & License Problems - Enscape Community Forum (enscape3d.com)

A speedy cloud solution would be easiest for everyone. Without naming names, there are other cloud libraries that seem to do a much better job with previews. I'm not sure why Enscape seems to need to regenerate thumbnails every single time you open the asset window.

Going further, more consideration of multi-user environments and large projects in general would be appreciated. Following this thread, for example -

BUG: Changing computers - Image texture references - Rhino - Enscape Community Forum (enscape3d.com)

2.5 years later and still no texture/asset tracking/pathing - really frustrating.

Are they working off a network drive at school, or on the local PC drives?

If the files are local, just pick a directory and make sure they use the same path on their PCs at home. C:\WORK\STUDENTNAME\PROJECTNAME or something like that. If the intent is to share proxies among all students, make sure they are copied into same folder on each machine. C:\WORK\PROXIES. As long as the path is the same it will find the files just fine.

Or you could probably set something up with OneDrive or another cloud drive mirroring solution, if there is something your college already uses.

I hope to squeeze a couple more years out of the "old" workstation before I ask the management for a very expensive new computer, but maybe it is a terrible plan.

No need to swap the whole workstation; if you can swing an upgrade the A4000 is a very impressive card with 16GB of VRAM. It doesn't have the massive power requirements of the typical gaming cards and will slot right into where your RTX4000 is now.