Maybe also try reexporting form a newer version.
I re-exported from v3.3 and yes, things seem to be performing better by roughly 10 fps.
- the distortion correction makes a huge difference. It still doesn't feel 100% "locked in" compared to other headsets, but nearly so.
- The quality settings in the Varjo portal make a significant difference (+/-20fps.) On "low" I found framerates to be similar to the Vive Pro, but the Varjo still looks better. So there are plenty of options to play around with and fine-tune.
2.) I unfortunately got HTC Vive controllers, but not the blue ones. (Mistake #1. I have fixed and gotten the blue controllers instead. After more research this was my mistake in not reading instructions carefully enough.)
The other option is to get v1 base stations to use with the "old" controllers. Varjo works with either. Honestly I find the old base stations to be a little less fussy.