Posts by Rob L

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.

Further to this, when I try to copy and paste one of the original models back into the sketchup file so I can re-make it as a linked file it only shows an empty box, and still doesn't show up in Enscape. This is an awful bug!!!!

I am working on a project in Sketchup/Enscape with quite a few linked models. They have somehow disappeared from the Enscape viewport, but are still positioned in Sketchup and are linked to the correct files. I don't know what caused them to disappear as I was working in just SU for while without Enscape open. I hven't relocated the files on my HD, so how do I get these files to be visible again?

Nothing on this page is helping:

Linked Models - Enscape

I'm on a deadline, so need to know how to restore these files asap!

OK, this makes more sense now, and I can confirm that everyone on a Mac is still running OS 12 systems here apart from me, which explains the local issue when testing. I am running OS 13 and Safari works fine for me, so the defining aspect of using Web Standalone is having WebGL2.0 compatibility. Perhaps the list of compatible browsers/versions coupld be updated on your knowledhge base, and maybe even be shown on the Web Standalone loading splash page? Or better yet, sniff out the browser version and display a clear message that the reason it can't load is that their browser is not supported? Right now it just hangs and stays "loading" forever which is not a good look.

I also sent the Web Standalone to a technical 3D designer who runs a PC and he was able to work out the UI fairly quickly. He also pointed out the 'settings' tab which I hadn't even noticed! Some useful options available there, and this has made me think about the way this works and can be improved.

Essentially, I feel that the Web Standalone feature should offer a universal control system that works for either platform, not just PC. Also, it should perhaps be simpler and clearer in terms of the nav system - I will generally be sending this to non-design people and can't always expect them to be familiar with the principles of 3D software space navigation. They will generally need to use it only for a few minutes and shouldn't have to put much effort in to figure it out in my opinion.

The arrow keys are a good way to do things, but the E and Q for up and down are less intuitive - I assume being developed in Germany it was made for an AZERTY keyboard layout? Seems a strange choice to use one of the few keys that changes on QWERTY layouts, so I'd suggest to perhaps swap to "U" & "J" for example - at least U is for "Up" then and so a touch more intuitive. Also, using "O" as a modifier key to orbit using the arrows could work too, as opposed to the Right Click PC only-version (I know it works by holding down CTRL and mouse click on a Mac, but this is well clunky, especially for a laptop user on a Macbook.

On the touchscreen versions, it appears that you navigate by physically moving your phone as opposed to touching the screen. This is so confusing, and really doesn't work. I guess it's a VR/AR orientated concept, but when I just want a client to zoom in and look at something it's impossible to control - the intuitive way to use it is to pinch/navigate with fingers as we are all used to. I also can't understand how I orbit with this version either, and the same PC nav instuctions about using a mouse are displayed. There really ought to be a dynamic system employed here that determines the browser/device capabilities and serves up a variation geared to that. Bare minimum on a touch screen, the default should be finger-pinch control with an option to switch to the VR style motion control.

The other thing we identifed here was that if you chage perspective using the top right button it's possible to zoom so far out you are miles away from the model. Adding an option to include existing tabbed views from Sketchup (I assume other software has similar) as tabs in the Web Standalone window would negate this, or at the very least a "re-centre" button to take it back to the original start place that the file loaded in at.

Hopefully this is useful info, not just for the devs, but anyone else using this feature. Any other input and opinions are welcome too.

I have read the Enscape information page about the web standalone, and done various tests with it, and have a few questions and issues that I'm hoping can be clarified, or at least have the voice of experience from other users who work with it.

Initial impressions are that it works really well - I exported a standalone of a mid-size model containing a lot of textures and custom graphics and it appeared on my browser (Firefox on Mac). Here's where the issues start. The vast majority of the people I deal with as clients or otherwise use Macs too, so I need to know that this system works intuitively and flawlessly their end. I sent the link to colleagues in the office as a test and it did nothing - just a blank white loading screen that never loads.

Then I paid a little more attention to the end of the blog page and saw the following statement: Currently, no support for Internet Explorer/Edge/Safari or iOS devices (iPhone, iPads)

As Safari is the default browser on a Mac, this suddenly introduces a barrier to using the web standalone function for a good chunk of the people I deal with. It's not appropriate for me to ask some of these people to start changing their browser and installing Chrome or Firefox if they don't already have it either - I'm talking they type of people who give you a 15 minute window of their time and you have to make it count. It's a massive fail at that point, and would be counter productive at best.

So, first question is - when will this become a universally supported feature for any WebGL2.0 browser?

Next issue - I spotted it immediately as a Mac user - the nav system on the web standalone screen is designed for a PC user, not a Mac user. It features left and right click mouse controls, and conflicting and confusing controls such as pressing CTRL and the up arrow key. This actually activates Expose (same as pressing F3 on a Mac) and shows you everything running on the mac in miniaturised windows. If the client has managed to install a new browser to see my model, they now have to wade through this minefield next. Not a good look...

For clarity, if you hold the arrow key down first, then press CTRL it scrolls faster. Do it the other way round it fires up Expose.

Bottom line - when I first saw this feature I thought it would add a whole extra dimension (literally) to client presentation work, but it's pretty limited at this stage. I often have to do live work-throughs on Teams with clients to make changes and move things about, but that is me controlling the file, not them. This could be an excellent addition to the process, but there is no way I would send these links out to clients at this stage.

In constructive terms - is there any plan to a). make it work on all browsers very soon (if so, when?!), and b). overhaul the user interface so that this is not platform-centric - essentially anyone can use it without me having to explain it, install more software and learn quirks of the interface before we get down to discussing the job.

Any other Mac users who can give their experience/knowledge input on this topic would also be welcome to comment - my aim here is to get this to a useful and useable stage rather than level criticism at Enscape for the sake of it.

Final thing - I know most of the 3D render community is PC orientatated, but a lot of the creative/design industries I interact with are using Macs - often just as basic planning and browsing computers as opposed to graphics production etc. If Enscape is serious about offering the advantages that their software undoubtedly can provide, they need to start investing in the Mac side of things more seriously.

Thanks for the reply Phil. I know that option exists too, but ideally there would be a way to toggle this behaviour on and off in the settings of Enscape as a preference.

Perhaps there is some rationale for why this isn't an option too? Can anyone enlighten us on that?

It does state that Enscape is optimised for dual monitor use, and in reality this is the best way to use it. Just not practical to lug screens around that require mains power when on the road. Yes, I could use an iPad as a second screen too I guess...

Apologies if this is something I have missed the answer to. I am using Enscape usually on an M2 Macbook, with two other screens attached, so Sketchup runs on one, Enscape on another. Occasionally I need to be able to use just the Macbook, such as a client meeting or working on the road etc. The Enscape Window always takes precedence over the Sketchup window on the single screen meaning I have to either use two small portrait windows side by side or I constantly have to move the Enscape window off the screen then back on again to see what I'm doing.

Is there a way I can force Enscape to stop this behaviour so the Enscape window is the same as any other in terms of priority on the screen?

Thanks in advance!

Rob L which version do you have installed?

I'm running SU23 on Mac Ventura with Enscape 2.0.1 here. The screenshot shows the blue on the trim above the first floor windows. It's only this texture that is affected in this model, and it disappears if I rotate the view. I've played around in the material editor and it's not got anything different to the rest of the textures used. Very odd!

I've had a couple of serious moments where it lagged right to the point where the computer restarted.

The computer configuration is the same as yours.

Yes, I've had to restart a couple of times today too :(

The whole Mac froze, not just a program crashing and closing itself - this is an unpleasant return to the old days before OS X limited the damage a crashing program would cause.

I also updated the latest version, which solved the problem of not being able to start enscape normally, but there are new bugs. When using enscape rendering, it often crashes and the screen often flickers. These all happened after updating to version 2.0.172.

This is happening to me too. I am running a brand new M2 Max Macbook with 64GB of RAM and a 38 core GPU. I just paid for the full version of Enscape after completing the trial on the basis these crashes were fixed in the new update (I was going to wait until this update before I bought it, but the update came out the same time as my trial ended). I am now experiencing crashes every 30 - 40 minutes making it too unreliable to use, with no obvious pattern/cause, just in normal use. This is based on a fairly light model that has presented no issues on my previous machine (2017 27" iMac) over the course of a year or so of use.

The latest crash (log provided below) happened as I was filling in a face with a texture using the paint bucket in SU. Previous one was copying a face and moving it vertically.

I'm also experiencing various glitches and juddering in the Enscape window when rotating/zooming in on my model.

Sketchup version 23.1.341 and Enscape 2.0.1.72

Please can you let me know when it can be fixed as I have deadlines to meet!

Oh riiiiight. This is why it keeps crashing then? I downloaded the newest version of Sketchup to my new Mac last week, then installed Enscape. It's been crashing periodically on me, and I only found out the reason by Googling it and arriving back here. Surely can't take more than 5 or 10 minutes to put some sort of disclaimer or information warning on the download page of the free trial to let people know? It's in your interests to do so - I had pretty much written off Enscape as buggy garbage until I read this thread.

Is there an actual date for the fix being released?

Thanks for the replies. I know things are not always as simple as they might seem to the outside viewer, but if the material assets exist for the Windows version then they must be in a format that the Mac version can load in and use too, just like the ones on the free texture websites. Perhaps there's an issue implementing the library as a button into the software itself, but surely the actual resources should be available in a folder that I can download and make use of if I want to - especially if I'm expected to pay the same licence cost as a Windows user?

This could be a very quick interim fix, although I do agree that 9 months (with no guarantee that that won't change and take even longer) is a long time to be charging the Mac user a full price for without even offering access to the assets in a different way.

I'm not trying to create an argument for the sake of it, but this is my perception as a new potential customer, and I dare say I won't be the only one thinking this about Enscape. The bigger picture is the long term use of Enscape - if it takes so long to implement this just to get it up to what most users would consider a basic minimum expectation of functionality, how long will any changes/Windows parity updates take to appear in the future?

I don't want or need a million fancy new functions and updates every month to justify the cost, but I do need to know that in commiiting to Enscape I'm making a choice that is at least supported almost as much as the Windows version.

Hi All

I'm new here, but have been using Sketchup on a Mac to draw and render commercially for a long time.

I have just acquired an M2 Max Macbook with the specific aim of running Enscape within Sketchup to streamline the render process into my drawing workflow.

Having downloaded the free trial of Enscape and starting to watch tutorial videos to get up to speed on it I was shocked to find the materials library is not available to Mac users. I have been creating my own textures for almost every job I do anyway, so I don't need advice on how to get textures into Enscape, but what I do want to know is when this functionality will be implemented into Enscape for Mac?

All of the replies and stuff I have read on here so far are very vague, and non-commital. It doesn't look good to a new customer at all, and doesn't really inspire me to invest in Enscape after the free trial period. Apologies if this is clearly posted elsewhere, but as a new customer I can't even work out if this function will be included in the next update either.

So, please can we clarify, for me and other new potential customers what is happening here. I am at a point where I am contemplating other render options if I can't find a solid answer fairly quickly.

Aside from that, it seems amazing, and I would very much like to invest and make Enscape my next render software!