Posts by mattendler

Hi Enscape team,

I'm working on a rendering and I'm getting requests to make the inside of the building on an exterior shot be less apparent (essentially all of the glass panes of the building).

I thought this would be easily achieveable using the Material ID layer and using photoshop, but it turns out that that is the only material type that does not get a color ID, instead it shows the material IDs apparent through the glass.

Is there an easy way I would be able to grab the material ID for the glass without changing the material of the glass to something else:?:

Thanks

I don't know how other users feel, but I can tell you the reasons why nothing has changed so far:

When you perform changes in the Revit model, Enscape gets notified about added/modified/deleted elements. Theoretically Enscape could ignore changes of annotations, tags, reference planes and other things without visible geometry. But in addition to the one thing you really changed, Revit often reports changes in some rather generic elements in a generic category. Enscape can't simply ignore all of these generic elements, because some of these do have visible geometry.

I suggest you tell us exactly about the specific actions/changes that annoy you the most, and we will check what's feasible.

Alrighty, thanks Simon.

There are two categories:

1. Anything that is annotative in nature (Changing a view type, moving/editing tags and view markers, Moving/changing a detail item, add text, symbols, tags,

2. Anything that is view-specific that is NOT the Enscape Active View (hiding and isolating elements in a different view, editing a section box in another view, etc)

RE: Reference planes, I would keep in the update check because there is always a chance that a model element is hosted to it and you probably don't want to have Enscape query what reference planes are constraining model elements. That would be adding more energy, not eliminating!

In addition/replacement to all of this, it might be better to have a "Push Changes" button that empowers the user to tell Enscape when its time to do the check, rather than a toggle between auto-updating everything and not updating anything. If the push key is on a hotkey that would be crucial. It's a UI/UX issue.

Usually I will make 4-5 small adjustments before I want to see the next revision, and I don't want the differential update interrupting me while I'm making those adjustments. Typically having a "interaction mode" creates another thing for someone to cognitively manage, rather than something that as needed.

Hi,

I have two different perspective views saved in my project. They are on the same view template, except this template does not lock overrides for Links OR Filters. The two views, thus, have different values in those categories. View 1 is showing the link, View 2 is hiding it. View 1 has no filters, View 2 has filters.

Using the Enscape ribbon to switch from View 1 to View 2, I've experienced a crash where View 2 actually inherits the filters and view settings from View 1, and moments after this Revit hangs up, and my computer actually compleletly freezes. I had to do a hard restart by holding down my power button. 8| I'd be curious if you can re-create the issue. I will send my log files when I can. I'm using Revit 2016 Update7 and the second to last Enscape version.

Hi Enscape team,

Please see my screenshot below. The box in green shows what is useful in Revit. The box in red is something that is more useful when in the Enscape window. What do you think about providing this as an option, or preference? The way we have to Alt-Tab is rather annoying. I know UI concerns like this can seem small, but they have a cascading effect...it is not intuitive.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I haven't seen it get touched upon and curious to know if more feel the same way. I would like the differential update that occurs to be more selective to useful changes, not every change possible. Things that occur in isolation to other views, annotations, creation of reference planes, moving tags, etc. have little to do with the Enscape viewer so Enscape should not be looking for changes to those categories.

Hi all,

I would like to request that we have a little better access to the enscape commands from the enscape window. I would prefer not to have to get lost in amy revit ribbon and search for commands but be able to access those from the enscape window. This is helpful for people with single monitors particularly. But it also would lead to a discussion about what hot keys are able to be used from the encape environment. I think the following commands should be accessed by hotkey:

• Create key frame
    • Screenshot (already exists)
    • Switch to white or light mode
    • Create revit view
    • Change view from list available
    • Etc

This is usually confusing for people because it’s pretty much a bug that limits enscapes ability to make changes when a perspective view is active In revit. Once you make the changes in your perspective go to a generic 3-D axon view. And then the changes that you made to the perspective will get pushed to Enscape. Enscape devs, I’m not sure what clout you guys have here but this really is a clunky moment that confuses many users. Every time I have to explain it to them there’s no reason behind the madness it’s just having to give them more caveats in order to complete their work

Hi,

Is there any work or development focus on cooperative mode. To walk together with the client, shareholders or project lead through the model. I could even imagine that they follow, transport with the guide and can per option only look around. We had such a presentation in our office were the team linked two computers into one scene. We had 2 HTC VIVE, each on one computer and we could see our avatars. This looks like a great potential as we often see that clients can not really interact with the technology pretty well. Looking forward to your feedback.

What software allowed for a cooperative experience?

My comments inline:

Hey,

Please QA the stablity of working in linked files and switching the Enscape viewer across multiple linked files open all at once. We have a campus project with linked files in worksets and I've been having disappearing geometry and issues with the ribbon during the following conditions:

-Reloading a link (geometry has intermittently disappeared, have to restart enscape)

-CTRL-TABBING to a different file (ribbon glitches and gets greyed out, have to restart revit )

-Opening a workset that contains links in it (geometry does not appear, have to restart enscape)

Additionally, the disappearing geometry seems to be a more general issue of instability, as it occurs when modeling, cutting/joining at various random and unexpected times.

Thanks;(

mattendler Are you able to tell, what steps take so much time? You can also send feedback - in the logfiles we are able to see some basic timeframes for these steps. We are always striving for the best performance, so if you have any suggestions on where to improve it or how to adjust the behavior of the live updates, we will always be listening.

Thank you Simon,

I appreciate you detailing the issues that are not in your control.

As for what you can control, here is a list of suggestions for improvement:

1. Ideally file changes should only trigger Enscape if they are made in the active view and/or in the model. The following items currently trigger Enscape and I think they should not:

-Detail Lines

-Pinning Objects

-Dimensions

-View specific changes to views that are NOT the active view (ie. Temporary Hide, Temporary Isolate, Selection Box Manipulation occuring in a working 3D view)

-Etc

2. Please make sure we have access to toggle START/PAUSE live updates using the same hotkey

3. I'm seeing the loading bar re-process linked files after making local model edits. Links should only be checked when they're reloaded or their workset is closed and re-opened.

4. Is there a way to prevent Revit from stealing focus when the update occurs? I will make the change in Revit, then ALT-TAB back to Enscape and have a few seconds to peruse the view while it's loading, but then Revit steals focus.

5. Is there a way that Enscape can cache an environment from the day previous and then update what's changed? Rather than loading from 0% to 100%...

My two cents for now..

+1 to this. Have had numerous moments, particularly in refractive/reflective surfaces, where there is a glittery noise pulsing to the eye from certain vantage points. Thank you

Hi,

I understand that the underlying problem of what I'm about to address is deep in the code of the Revit API, Revit, and how a PC's resources are made available (or unavailable, for that matter), but I need to present this as an important challenge for the Enscape team, which is:

How can live changes occuring in Revit get delivered to Enscape faster to the point where it truly feels seamless?:/

For reference, I have a powerful PC (4.7 Ghz Overclocked, Windows 10, 32GB RAM, GeForce 1080 Titan Ti, M2 PCIe SSD) and I've been running it on a campus project of 4 buildings, probably totalling in 1.2GB in size. If I move a bench family in the garden areal with an arrow key, it take approximately 15 seconds for Revit to "re-print" back to Enscape, and for Enscape to update. Additionally, the Revit window steals focus from Enscape during this process, so I can't really make the move, and then quickly jump back into Enscape. Recently I've been using the pause live updates because I can't get the seamless integration with the software yet.:sleeping:

I can imagine for some of you that this may seem unreasonable, but at our firm, the design cooker is a fragile, quick, and spontaneous process where every billable second counts, and every 15 seconds waiting on the computer is another 15 seconds remembering your steps, and even more than that if you get distracted while you're waiting. :cursing:

How can this be reduced to less than a second? Whichever company can deliver the speed we need will be the one we truly invest in.:thumbsup:

Thanks

I have the same problem. I constantly have to offset and apply a different material (usually a dirt material) the edge of a mesh to prevent this. Not the worse workaround, since I have to do this with any scattered grass or grass element in other rendering applications. It would be nice to see some additional controls for the grass in the future though. Length, variation, falloff at edges etc...

Not a bad workaround for the time being. Thanks

I think if we're going to open the door to different auto-naming that what we already have, it should stay open to customization. Every firm will want something different, and perhaps per project depending on scale and complexity. There should be a dropdown of revit parameters to choose from to append to the name, among other options