Posts by alexandrecollaco

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.

Hi everyone,

Finally I got some time to use the custom asset. It is a great tool that makes the process simpler but also way too time consuming to set up each asset.

Here are my thoughts and suggestions (I'm using Rhino 7, Enscape 3.01):

1. Having folders to organize by type, it is crucial once the library starts to grow. Tags also would be great.
    2. Make it easy to export/import assets, right now it is time consuming. I have to setup every material, one by one:
      1. Have an exporter in Rhino, so, I just press a button and it exports the asset, material, proxy and generate the asset in the library automatically. Also when importing, being able to select everything, asset file, proxy file, materials,... and not one by one.
    3. Copy Asset, so it is easier to make variations of the same asset.
    4. Batch import/export material, sometimes setting up some assets with lots of materials (ex. some species of vegetation) I have to export each material one by one and then reapply one by one in the other similar asset. It takes a lot of time, so, export/import all materials would be great.
    5. Edit asset materials without the need to open the custom asset editor. I know it's kind of a different proposal from what you have now but it would also simplify our work.

Some possible bugs and problems:

1. The tint color in the asset editor preview window does not show darker colors. Everything also looks a bit washed out, maybe it is the lighting in the scene.
    2. When you import a new assets there is no prompt to choose units, it will get the size of the object and interpret as if it is in meters, so if you export a 100 x 100 x 100 cm box as an .fbx, it will be a 100 x 100 x 100 meter box in the asset editor.

That is it,

And congratulations for the great work .

I have forwarded your feedback as well - the problem here is that our hands may be tied because Rhino does not feed the information we require into Enscape itself. Still, I'll discuss this once more with PM.

Thank you,

I know Vray for Rhino do support IES, don't know if their type of solution is feasible for Enscape though.

Hi everyone,

Rhino 7 comes with a correct inverse square light attenuation, Enscape does support it but the intensity slider needs some calibration.

Right now the workable ranges of intensity seems to be around 0.001 and 0.015 which makes things difficult to work with.

Another request would be to add a support for IES lights in Rhino. I know it was already asked before but I feel it is an important feature. (Rhino has no intention of supporting it according to their team, they focus on a wide range of applications, not just architecture).

Thanks,

Alexandre

Hi!

I have a problem and not sure what is causing this thing. In a lot of cases, whenever two or more surfaces intersect each other, In Enscape preview and then render, there are appearing small burnt areas along geometry. Did you happen to encounter this problem already?

Attached screenshot:

It usually happens when the thickness of the object is too small, with simple planes or when you have a bright light on the other side.

Usually increasing the thickness or adding a black box outside, on top of your surface will solve it.

Duplicate Custom Assets for sure
    Batch export/import materials in the custom asset editor

Exporter from rhino to Enscape asset - an easy way to export a rhino asset + proxy directly into the asset editor. Right now I have to export to .fbx and reconfigure the materials all over again. It would be great to export directly with the already applied matertial. And better yet to auto generate a proxy with a reduced polycount.

alexandrecollaco , this is by design. Only light sources themselves are affected - we also do not recommend using self-illuminated materials as the only lighting source in scenes, just so you know, in case you weren't aware already that is. In that regard simply dial up the intensity of the self illumination via the material editor.

Thanks for the answer.

I don't use the self illuminated to light the scene, they are used in light sources like light fixtures, light bulb filaments, television screens....

Sometimes some tweak of light intensity is needed in the scene, specially with scenes with interior and exterior, night/day. These are the occasions when the tweak of self illuminated materials would apply together with light sources. Otherwise It's needed to be done one by one, kind of time consuming.

Hi,

Enscape has a nice plant library but the decorative plants comes with their pots and those usually doesn't match the scene design.

There is a workaround consisting in modeling a new pot around the one provided but sometimes it is not possible because either the original pot is too tall or too large.

I would like to suggest to provide pots and plants separated in the library

Hi Enscape team,

I would like to address a couple things concerning lighting that could enhance our workflow and image quality.

First, I use Enscape in Rhino and I really miss a proper lighting solution. Rhino lights are not well designed and miss a couple of features, as follows (I know some of these had already been discussed previously and Mcneel team already showed no interest in producing better lights, but I know it is possible since Vray Rhino does have better lights):

• Spot lights - In Rhino it is really dull, it doesn't support IES and also seems to change intensity not linearly with jumps of intensity in some value ranges. also the intensity value has no real meaning in real world.
    • Area Lights and linear lights, they have some weird behavior in Rhino. They produce shadows as if they were point lights, see example below. It is a 280 cm x 8 cm, 50 intensity rectangular light at 30 cm of the wall with some teapots.

• Area Light bean weird behavior. I made a test with some square lights in rhino and their bean has no consistency. Sometimes it behaves properly, showing a square bean and sometimes they produce a round bean. Also if you keep playing with the lights moving then closer or farther from the wall, they will change the bean from round to square with no reason whatsoever. The example below have al the same light a 100 x 100 cm, 50 intensity square light with 12 to 20 cm offset from the walls.

• To keep consistency between projects and real world, Intensity parameters and color should use industry standards. For intensity lumens and for color temperature kelvin.
    • Self illuminated materials use luminance (cd/m²) but light products usually provide information in lumens, so I believe it would be better for a workflow to use industry standards (ps. I know Luminance and Luminous Flux are different concepts and don't know exactly how to convert it)
    • Self illuminated materials are not affected by the "Artificial Light Brightness" slider. It is desirable, otherwise, it will compensate all other lights but not the self illuminated.
    • "Light View" mode is an amazing feature to study artificial lights and light design projects, I miss the possibility to show the intensity of specific points when hovering the mouse cursor above it. Maybe also show the average illuminance of a space. Light designers would surely benefit of that.
    • Have the ability to instantiate lights, right now we need to select each light to change a group of similar lights.

I believe that is it, your product is amazing, fast, great quality renders and constantly improving.

Congratulations,

Alexandre