Posts by aaronnordstrom

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.

So there really isn't a way to locate all of the jpgs automatically in one central folder? They all appear to go into custom named folders upon download (be0dd872fac54dea09.............). I was hoping for one central location like the 'archmat' folders that come with autodesk products. This would make it a lot easier to manage these materails.

Is there a benefit of downloading these from the cloud each time? It seems fussy for both uses and BIM managers alike.

Aaron

The pricing for The Wild is the wildest thing about it. I could never get our partners to agree to that cost... yikes. Hopefully, Enscape integrates some kind of VR collaboration tools in the future.

Agreed. The Wild was expensive. I don't know how these quest-only VR suites are created, but they all seem like (somewhat) repackaged versions of the same thing. Outside of cost and a few small tweaks which weren't really selling points, there really isn't any difference between some of these. We chose prospect because it was cheapest w/ unlimited uploaded to their cloud.

I do hope that Enscape takes on this market. I really think they can make a significant impact. The VR abilities of Enscape are good, but they aren't robust. I still hold to the fact that---with all the imperfections---these Quest-only suites are better suited for our industry. Collaborating and marking up in VR is a game changer for us. It's only a matter of years until the quality is on-par with Enscape.

I thought I saw a Revit material editor in the 3.1 road map?

I agree with Phil above---I get a bit nervous thinking about Enscape taking over the 'Asset' tab in the material editor. That said, the Revit asset tab is AWFUL. Just awful. No redeeming value. I'd be curious to see how an Enscape material work work in Revit---especially if we are sharing the model with somebody who does not have Enscape.

We use Prospect, but have tried 'The Wild' (who purchased prospect recently) and have also toyed around in 'Arkio'. I don't really feel like they are competitors to Enscape, but are helpful to use alongside. Both these packages and Enscape do different things well. Perhaps in a few years they may start competing more, but at this point it's not like you are going to stop using Enscape for one of those packages. The poor quality of the other packages goes largely unnoticed by clients and architects alike.

Some of your criticisms are why we switched to a VR-specific Revit/Sketchup model viewer that would live on the Quest-2 headset. It doesn't look as nice, obviously but is much more user friendly. Enscape is still a critical part of our workflow, but not for VR. There are better options out there in my opinion.

Thanks, all. I guess this makes me realize that I'm not crazy. Circling back around, is there any good tips for lap siding (outside of modeling it.<X)

That's just me experimenting. I can't get it to work no matter how I create the gradient. It looks better more gradually, correct---but it's still terribly ugly.

Does anybody have a good way of doing lap siding? Even with the newer displacement mapping, I still can't get something to look good. It's almost as if Enscape has a hard time reading gradients in the texture file.

I am still having a hard time with the displacement settings. Placing it at '501' and darkening the displacement map all the way down to '1' in the revit texture editor as well still produces a very strong displacement. If I lighting in photoshop, it looks better. Is there a way for Enscape to read the 'brightness' setting in the material editor?

Not and Enscape-Specific question, but still pertinent.

If I wanted to lay out all of my materials in a library as a series of spheres or cubes in a Revit project, are there any Dynamo scripts that you've used which would do this? I can't find anything and I'm not sufficient enough with Dynamo to build something.

Thanks!

Aaron

I think one important thing I'm learning as I experiment with architectural apps on the Quest 2 (The Wild, Propsect, etc) is that that biggest benefit we get from these is the ability to meet with multiple people in a virtual environment. As much as I would like to see Enscape models in the quest, I don't know how much of a use-case there would be if multiple users can't be in it at the same time. I would not expect Enscape to develop around multiple users---it does not seem like the direction they would want to take the app.

For me, the only bright side of the poor quality models of the Quest 2 is the ability to meet in them and coordinate with multiple users. I wonder how many individuals would put up with the sub-par graphics for very long if there wasn't a definite benefit to it. Maybe experiencing the space in VR---no matter what the quality---is benefit enough for some users, but I think most would prefer to view a high-quality model on their desktops and not bother with a headset.

I'm assuming this isn't possible, but the view settings baked into my 'favorite views' in the Revit plugin for Enscape don't translate to the .exe. Is this possible? So, for example, View 1 shows just the structure and view 2 shows the entire building?

This works in Enscape via Revit, but I can't seem to make translate through to the .exe.

Aaron

I'm not in the file at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I would agree with you---the textures do not come through from Sketchup via a DWG. However, the object styles dialog still breaks the model out by sketchup 'tag' (DWG layer) and adding a texture through this dialog box is not reflected in Enscape in real time. There may be other ways to refresh it, but the best I've found at the moment is by toggling the 'visual styles'.

Aaron

sorry, I meant to check in sooner.

Zoom, one thing is I was thinking the Desktop is hosting the model and the graphics card, the heavy hitter stuff. the Wifi is the wireless 'port' to the quest2, the quest2 would just be the receiver for image and transmitter of position/tilt. this would allow hefty models (in theory). I have Not tried it yet as the quest2 is a friends. I need to borrow it to try to get it running.-- so aaronnordstrom how does it perform?

My setup for streaming using Virtual Desktop to my Quest 2 seems to be pretty solid, so Enscape performs well wirelessly, but that is 100% dependent on my PC hardware, not the software or the headset. We just purchased a license for Prospect by IrisVR, having our models hosted completely on a Quest 2. I found that I need to hide most of the furniture, etc---but I've seen the quest 2 easily handle an entire Revit building---just not via Enscape (yet).

I'm going to prove my ignorance if this is a no-brainer, but I'm having a hard time figuring this out.

If I'm in VR on an .EXE export and take a photo using the photo tool in Enscape, where does it save that picture? I can't find it.

Aaron

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out and I think I came across a bug.

Step 1: When imported a site model from Sketchup, the materials on the model can be altered with using the 'object styles' dialog in the view settings. This is expected.

Step 2: The issue occurs where the Enscape session does not reflect the changes to the material. No matter what phase, material, option, etc---the imported element always turns out as default gray in Enscape. Even grass shows up gray, while still being modeled as 3D grass (so enscape is getting the texture info somewhere).

Step 3 (Solution). While in the Revit perspective view controlling Enscape, change the visual style to 'realistic' this will push the materials through to the Enscape session. Any changes to the materials on the imported family needs to be followed up by changing the 'Visual Style' to a different setting.