Posts by Tim

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.

We are planning on adding more controls. Is there anything specific you would like to see in place, even something beyond Krea's capabilities?

As with anything "AI" these days, it's about user control. I spend so much time working on details and wanting to get something right for my projects and it's really frustrating to not have control over tools at some point in the process. At minimum, the ability to control the "strength" of both the effect and generative/replacement function as well as being able to mask out/in areas of interest. Honestly, Krea's UI and functionality is a really great direction, which is why I referenced it.

Chaos AI Enhancer
    Beautify your images using artificial intelligence. You can find out more via our Blog post and/or share some of your renderings and thoughts here!

I'm happy to have this option natively built-in, but would prefer Enscape allow the use of 4k+ maps in the first place.

I think I'd rather still use something like KREA for any AI enhancements, as it offer more control- As Vlad Moldovan has shown:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to deactivate an Office license remotely without physical access to the original PC 2. According to Microsoft's guidelines, to transfer a retail license to another computer, you must first deactivate the product on the current device 3. This requires physical access to the original PC to open an Office app, go to "File," select "Account," and choose "Deactivate Product" 45. This step allows the license to be activated on the new computer. Information is missing on how to remotely revoke a license, as it is not a supported feature 2.

Microsoft's guidelines and software has nothing to do with how Enscape handle's license seats.

I was hoping for something like the way the vrscene works when using it in sketchup. Or even a very simple outline. Now there is no reference point at all.

You're better off creating your own custom proxy file shape with a linked file for the time being. I don't think this is a feature anywhere on the Enscape's roadmap. Enscape Assets from the library have a proxy "shape" to them because they have done this work already. Same with Vray Cosmos I assume.

If you set your axis of the linked model to the bottom middle, placement should be fairly simple. Maybe that's why you're having trouble with placement? The bounding box is relative to the component size - albeit not nearly as useful as a low poly shape.

https://help.transmutr.com/manual/geometry-tab/proxies

This works also but OneDrive has the advantage of synchronization of files, so files are alsways stored on the local machine and therefore not effected by internet outages.

I moved to a self-hosted NAS with VPN some time ago. Lots of methods of sharing, but the issue I've had with synced cloud files and multiple users (OneDrive, Synology Drive, Google Drive, etc) is sync services typically don't have file-locking, which prevents multiple users from having one file open at once and creating a save version nightmare. So if a file is open somewhere, the user trying to open it again gets a read-only notification. But if just passing around a main model (one user access at a time) and letting users sync to the material folder on the network share or sync folder, that's not an issue since they're not making changes to material files Enscape (or any other program) is referring to. Definitely a use case for both methods though.

Preferably, a network share vs a traditional drive map naming convention ("C:\", "D:\", "E:\", etc).

Example:

\\server\sharename

That way you are not chasing around used drive names per machine. It's simply looking at the share location on the server and can be via remote VPN or local.

If it's high quality asset you are wishing to use, another method would be to use something like Transmutr to create a proxy shape that better represents the object if placing it needs to be more precise or you would like a better shape vs the outline.

Sidebar:

The new notification panel is nothing short of useless.

oof! The jitter effect displaces the linework off of the image, making post-production overlay work a bit of a mess. Examples below of the same render (softened with a watercolor effect) with pen-style overlay. The one where the outlines line up is without jitter, the one where it's off is jitter at just 10%

Yeah, it looks like a general warp filter moreso than adding sketchy "jitter." I don't care for it. Your examples are what I was thinking would look nice for some early conceptual work in design, but I might as well output native SketchUp lines or use their newer AO stlye in the latest 2024 release.

nope, doesn't pick up materials at all. I was assuming one would need post production blending to use material information. I totally agree it would be a huge benefit to be able to use texture overlays (whether AO or some other modes like grayscale textures maybe?)

Yep. Just tested and it's quite boring without any material lines. With SketchUp at least, it looks like Sketchy Style is still the go-to then. Though I don't use it very much.

Feedback: The "jitter" slider makes looks like it just warps the image with an overlay pattern like some sort of Photoshop warp tool and not really adding actual jitter to linework, like you'd expect from SketchUp's styles. It's a pass for me, for now.

very cool! Some quick testing and I have few observations about the sketch modes.

1. If you're calling it pen and pencil, why is the palette selection "black" vs. "grayscale"? Will you name it "pen/pencil" in future versions?
    2. I find the areas where there is dense geometry, the weight of the line strokes is too heavy compared to the rest of the image. Is there a way to limit the overlap of lines so you don't get heavy spots in the images (that darker tree in the upper left quadrant in the 3rd example for instance.) In the example below, the seagrape clusters in the background bushes really stand out.
    3. In terms of weights, I feel the outlines are a little bit too heavy especially, again, where there is more fine geometry like the palm branches.
    4. Even with the "thin" lines, the lineweights seem too heavy in lower resolution outputs (looks a lot chunkier at regular HD than ultra HD resolution.) I wonder if there's a way to improve the sketchiness at lower resolutions.

Maybe some options to fade with distance? Or if using official vegetation assets from the library, to adjust line detail on those- since they presumably have more control over those assets?

Well this looks interesting. I'll do some testing, but will the pen/pencil lines be pickup from textures or is it only grabbing outlines - basically by setting it to White mode and blasting the outlines to 100% with some artistic flair?

This one area where maybe using an AO map for materials would be useful. The sketch style could grab the AO map for things like paving, shingles, siding, etc and add a level of detail I see missing from the above examples. Creatively, I'm looking forward to seeing what some users now do with some post-production blending techniques. I have previously tried blending native SketchUp sketchy style with Enscape render output and it'd difficult to get views to match in order to blend.

I commented on this in the release thread and have an ongoing support ticket, but the support agent cannot reproduce my issue. Hoping someone here can test to confirm. Included a video clip of the process as reference.

Here are the steps to reproduce my issue:

1 - Make a simple object or shape.

2 - Make the object a GROUP.

3 - Make the GROUP a COMPONENT.

4 - Copy/Move (or copy/paste) the newly created component ------> Newly created copied component and original component both disappear from Enscape. They will reappear when Enscape is reloaded. It does not disappear from SketchUp.

However, if the simple object in STEP 1 is created and not grouped first and instead you skip to just creating a component from ungrouped geometry, the issue does not occur.

EDIT: Support has confirmed this is a BUG and will be sent to the dev's - for anyone else having this issue.

ViggoPaulman

AO maps are still missing too, but I digress...

The response from Clemens Musterle earlier in this thread sums up Enscape's position on this. I don't know why they're so firmly planted in not providing the option. I get they are the "easy, fast" render engine, but it clearly has much more power to it than that.

He's not wrong, as it does add a considerable amount to the project file size and VRAM usage. A quick comparison test using D5 to Enscape proved that for me recently, but it wasn't a deal breaker by any means. For what they are charging for the software these days vs what it used to be (only bettered by Lumion in that category...a prize not worth celebrating, IMO) they are clearly marketed to a professional market which has the access to proper GPU hardware should they need the option.

Found a bug in this with SketchUp. Not sure if it was present before this service pack but I think it was.

If I create a group and then make that group a component, the newly made component will disappear until Enscape is reloaded. If the component is made without it being a group first, it works as expected. However, this is problematic since I often create a stacked group and then make nested components, etc to make an assembly to then copy throughout a model, which then requires Enscape to be reloaded every time I make a new component group/assembly.

Bug submitted via software support button as well.

On some of my larger projects I get some pop-in due to the large quantity of artificial lights being used. GPU usage looks normal to me based on what I've observed in the past. And I haven't really seen it in the most recent Enscape updates.

For the performance monitor - I think it's just showing frame transitions with minuscule blips in usage - but I'd have to verify that. By the way, I recommend you use HWMonitor to watch CPU/GPU clocks, temp, etc. Much better than Windows default. You might also be hitting some issues with max VRAM on that GPU based on the usage I see there. Maybe some memory swapping happening?

They had a few existing features removed this release that were somehow problematic to whatever changes/updates they made. It's definitely the wrong call for them to remove or break features with a release update, especially without making a special point to let everyone know beforehand AND give a timeline for when it'll be patched back in. Hoping we can get some more communication regarding these things.

What...................>???!

My library is 90% Tiff as they are lossless and generally the file to get from any texture library...

uh oh - what technical limitations were you actually having here?

Why are you using these lossless files if Enscape was already compressing/downsampling them in the first place? Both links below are responses I've received the past when asking about resolution/quality of materials.