Posts by Tim

I actually did cancel my old credit card but Enscape is threatening collection agency if I don't pay for another year - hard to get out of being held hostage by their auto renewal policy. If you miss your window of opportunity to cancel, they do their best to squeeze every drop of blood they can. Unlike other software where if you don't pay them, it signals an end to your interest in using it, Enscape tries a very different approach

As long as you canceled before the actual renewal date, your CC will back you on your claim - assuming you have documentation. Usually a company bends pretty quickly to CC claims like this. CC companies hold a lot of power in these situations. Good luck to you.

will there be an additional cost? I was on a webinar the other day showing the integration and looks interesting. If you're a V-ray user will you get access to Enscape and if you're an Enscape user will you get access to V-ray, or will we have to purchase both software to benefit? If so going back to the original post by Grizzler our costs would double to see these imporvements. Apologies if this has been answered on another forum post or elsewhere, I haven't seen it so thought I would ask.

DOULBE the subscription cost. They are not bundling both as one. Just early days of compatibility, since Chaos merged with Enscape (more aptly - Ensacpe joined Chaos). Won't be surprised to see some sort of higher cost "discounted" package subscription fee within the year. I expect V-Ray Vision to eventually just become Enscape or something like that.

My company designs Grocery/Supermarket/Market/C-Stores, and am always asked if I can "fill the shelves." IMO, it's a tall order and not something I ever bother with. I'm pretty frank with clients about what that actually entails on my end, technically speaking. They usually get it when I explain it, but I hate telling them "no."

In my experience, clients start to see shelves populated and they start to focus on the small things, like repeating objects, shelf merchandising layouts, etc. They lose the bigger picture of what the 3D render was intended to convey. If you really step back and think about how many objects you'd need to make it look like a fully stocked store, it'd be a 20x time sink, easily.

Sometimes I'll do a small portion of a store with further merchandise detail (like a wine department). Think of those like highly detailed mini-diorama's or showcase that can speak for the rest of the design.

For more context- I have stores that are 15k+ sq. ft. Enscape and SketchUp are limited at that size and detail as it is. Even some of or smaller stuff that's like 3-6k sq. ft is a huge time sink.

Can Ensacpe please go back to the way SpaceMouse used to work and integrate with the software? Having to use the camera sync in SketchUp is a very poor experience- juttery camera movements (SketchUp's problem). Enabling SpacMouse in Enscape's Input Settings is so much smoother vs SU's camera sync. But then we lose the ability to continue using the SpaceMouse within SketchUp until that Enscape box is unchecked. Switching back and forth becomes maddening. In the case of doing something live in a meeting, this is problematic.

What exactly was so wrong about the way it worked a few builds ago? I think prior to 3.2, if memory serves?

Any plan to upgrade the distance of distributed shadow map?

I mostly work on large projects, and this behavior limit my video and camera setting a lot.

Many times I have to change to other software when this odd become unbearable .. which I don't like but you force me to.

Rick Marx +1 For this also from me. I design large retail spaces and often come into this issue.

A lot of this seems to come down to the surfaces not having much reflectiveness/gloss and bump (some, none at all). Although you have used the same color paint for the trim, wall, ceiling, cabinets, etc, it is more likely that each item would have a different bump and gloss. Walls would have some orange peel texture to them and the trim and ceiling might have more of a flat and higher gloss sheen - cabinets as well. I also don't see any gloss or effectiveness on the floor? Did you add a map to it? I'd expect it to bounce some of the light. I would also turn down your lines outline % a bit. The counter marble also looks flat- but that could be from lack of light (see below).

I can see a light reflection in the ceiling from the "fake" lighting. It's offputting because the main light sources in the room from what I can tell are just the can lights- which would be pretty typical for this room. As Winston above me mentioned, the lighting could use some color temperature adjustment and not just "white". Add some accent lighting under the cabinets to help shine up the countertops.

Add an emitting material to the lens of the can lights to help show off the light source. Drop a IES into each and give it some color. If you need more fill light, add a rectangle in the center just to help brighten things up a bit.

Since I cannot reproduce this problem yet as mentioned, your cooperation would be appreciated.

I have a support ticket open. Posting on the forum here to see if any other users can chime in, since that can be helpful for tips/tricks.

And just to make very sure, if you aren't using 3.3.1 yet

Yes, using the latest build.

did you apply the materials after stretching the plane to your desire, or did you apply them before and then resized the plane instead?

I start a new material by sizing it inside SketchUp per the size given by the Poliigon info (see attached). Then I add the other maps inside Enscape. As you stated earlier, there is a lingering bug where the albedo map location keeps changing to my %appdata% folder instead of the actual location on my hard drive. I checked that file in the location and it's the same high quality image, just copied over to that folder by Enscape- for whatever reason. I've even moved all my materials and relinked them from a NAS to my local NVMe SSD and no change in behavior or quality. TLDR: not sure if thats causing an issue (seem like not).

I can see what is happening now:

I applied the 2k material to begin with just to see the quality/size benefits and if 4k was worth moving up to. When I swapped it out to the 4k version, SketchUp resized the image for whatever reason down from 20'x20' to 2'x2'. Resizing back to the correct size did the trick and I re-saved the material within SketchUp, and it seems to be sticking now. I don't know why it chose to resize, but it has implications when swapping around materials within Enscape when designing, as shown.

Tim , thanks for your post!

In this case, please be aware that the albedo texture (and materials in general) in this case in Enscape gets downscaled if it's assigned to a smaller area/piece of geometry. If you enlarge the ground in your scene, it should help with allowing Enscape to render the texture in 4k like you see in SketchUp too.

Let me know if you experience any problems during or after this process still.

This is a large flat plane (landscape). I tried with a smaller 2k texture and it looks just the same in terms of being rendered worse than what SU shows.

Why are the maps being downsampeld? And wasn't this something we used to be able to toggle on/off in the settings?

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Enscape to allow the user to choose how how of a quality map to use. I specifically bought a new high end GPU to allow for higher resolution maps.

I've done this one of two ways, for a curved surface, I create a PNG material with a gray transparent background that matches the glass setting I prefer and then I apply the "decal" on top and project this material onto the surface. For a flat surface, I've experienced the shadow issue you mention, but I find that if the image is glued to the surface or 1mm or less off the surface I don't get Z-fighting and I don't typically get the shadow issue, but I don't often put a decal on 2D glass so that may not work. What will definitely work though will be to create a new material as described earlier. Happy to send you an example.

Thanks! I've followed up in the PM.