Posts by briangerard

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.

Hi Nick,

I've been having this exact problem with the Rhino plugin. It's frustrating to troubleshoot because it is inconsistent with which materials and which model components it happens. A few workarounds that I've come across:

1 - Keep file sizes lower. 600mb shouldn't be too bad, but it wouldn't hurt to maybe put all furniture or plants in a separate model and worksession it in.

2 - Give all materials unique names. I've run in to this problem when rhino gives you the "This material is shared by one or more other objects. Click "Duplicate" to create a unique editable copy." warning. To be honest - I'm not sure why this works but using unique names has reduced the frequency that I've seen this.

3 - If you are using worksession - try opening everything in a new file. Basically I will open a new file - set the units - import the views from my working file - and then worksession each working file in to this blank file.

The miscellaneous pink colored columns that you're seeing are well known to me. I've reported the bug (Bug Report) but, as mentioned above, it is tough to solve when it's inconsistent behavior. Anyway...I hope these help.

Previous thread here:

Worksession Issues

Basically - When using Rhino worksession to combine large files for export, Enscape seems to drop materials and mapping. I haven't noticed a pattern in what materials it drops, the location of the materials, or which file it happens in. The only consistent part is that it usually happens when I link in a large (physical distance) context model. The model is fine when viewed/exported on it's own - it's only when it gets combined with others that it's a problem.

1. The desired behavior is for models to look the same if they are on their own or worksessioned in to another file. Currently, when worksessioning in large files Enscape will unpredictably drop materials or mapping.

2. Preview version 2.1.2.564 and Full Version 2.1.1

3. Rhino 5

4. Worksession in large, complex models with multiple materials.

5. I'll upload images to this thread as I find them working from now on.

Worksession is the rhino command to link multiple .3dm files. We use it for (as an example) multiple buildings in the same development, or as a way to keep file size manageable with complex models - interior may be one model, facade may be one model, landscape may be one model etc. It's odd though, b/c I only get these kinds of errors when I worksession in the large (physical distance) context models, even though they may not be the biggest (size) models - and it is happening in all three projects I'm currently working on.

building model alone - okay in Enscape

building model + landscape - okay in Enscape

building model + landscape + context model - unpredictable material color and mapping in Enscape

context model alone - okay in Enscape

The solution (so far) is to:

-open a new file

-set the units

-import the saved views

-worksession in each file (one at a time) and refreshing Enscape when each one loads

-export the .exe

For the most part that works - but it is pretty time consuming. It would be nice if we were able to use a saved worksession file (.rws) and get the expected results.

Hey Ted - thanks for the response. I don't think that's it though. I've been careful to make sure that everything is mapped correctly on the network, and even saved everything to my desktop and remapped the (I thought) problem materials there. I'm thinking it's more of a size issue and so I guess I'm wondering if there are size limitations that we should be aware of - either distance in model, or size of models and worksession files. The offending collection of files was 9 worksession files varying from 120KB geometry files to 400KB landscape files to 750KB city context files. The complete Enscape .exe that saves out from this is around 850KB. The only thing I've had crash enscape so far is a full-city context model, but this isn't nearly as big or complete as that. It could be my machine and Rhino, and not Enscape that is the problem. The worksession files take a while to load in the first place, but once they're in they are generally okay to work with. Anyway - I'll keep at it and if there is a consistent way to duplicate the problem, or a solution I'll happily post it.

I'm running into issues when worksessioning large files. Some materials come out fine, but some are mapped incorrectly, and some are rendered completely white. It's inconsistent with which materials get this treatment - making it harder to pin down exactly what is going on. The workaround has been to worksession everything in to one empty file - but even this needs to be done every time from scratch. The issue comes up again when opening that worksession file to export from. I've tried to be careful in naming materials - giving materials in each worksessioned file it's own unique name (eg. ZONE 2-DARK WOOD...) just in case there was some error or conflict in worksession materials with the same name, but still no luck.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggestions? Making a new worksession file before final export isn't a deal breaker or anything, but it is kind of a pain.

many thanks!